Re: On reflection a very strange game.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

jobo wrote:Fail to see what was strange about the game. Everyone played their part very well at last and it was very good performance.

Think Leeds missed Burrows and Maguire badly and they will be a different proposition with those two in the side
i dont now nor have i ever rated danny maguire i think he is rubbish. However burrow is massively underated and i think leeds miss him. He provides a level of unpredictability and when he runs across the line it scares the living crap out of the big forwards because as soon as they reachout they give away a pen for high tackle
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

IOM Clubb and Pettybourne not good enough for the team to me they are just plodders
jobo

Post by jobo »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
jobo wrote:Fail to see what was strange about the game. Everyone played their part very well at last and it was very good performance.

Think Leeds missed Burrows and Maguire badly and they will be a different proposition with those two in the side
i dont now nor have i ever rated danny maguire i think he is rubbish. However burrow is massively underated and i think leeds miss him. He provides a level of unpredictability and when he runs across the line it scares the living crap out of the big forwards because as soon as they reachout they give away a pen for high tackle
Respect your opinion but do you really, deep down think Maguire is rubbish or is it that he's a good player but he annoys the life out of opposition fans?

I'm with you on Burrows, think on his day he's brilliant.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

McGuire - top-class against weak or average teams - doesn't cut it at top-level. Always poor at International level and goes 'missing' in big games.

As for Burrow - take away Sky's drooling about him which is based on how he played 10 years ago and what do you have? A lot of scurrying sideways runs but rarely breaks the line anymore - lots of activity but little action.
Neither compares with serious Leeds players like Ryan Hall or Watkins and their absence last night didn't make any difference based on current form.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The BOTTOM LINE unless we beat Wire next week, last night will be meaningless.

However, we showed what I have tired of stating; possession and field position wins most games. Even better, remember all those comments from posters saying we look unfit etc etc. Who looked unfit last night? BOTH teams are actually incredibly fit BUT if you win possession and field position then any opposition team will be far more tired AND then compound matters by making more and mistakes as fatigue AND pressure builds upon them.

It was a strange game because Wigan played very well (far better than for umpteen games) BUT struggled to put Leeds to the sword which perhaps is a reflection of Leeds effort and resolution WHILST reinforcing that without dominating field position and possession we probably would not have won. It was strange in the sense of Leeds lacking some key players which in part reflects an issue they will face for the next few seasons re the ageing / retirememnt of several players.

The best we have been for a long time BUT we need to back it up and beat Wire.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Southern Softy wrote:McGuire - top-class against weak or average teams - doesn't cut it at top-level. Always poor at International level and goes 'missing' in big games.

As for Burrow - take away Sky's drooling about him which is based on how he played 10 years ago and what do you have? A lot of scurrying sideways runs but rarely breaks the line anymore - lots of activity but little action.
Neither compares with serious Leeds players like Ryan Hall or Watkins and their absence last night didn't make any difference based on current form.
Burrow is very dangerous and a large part of why Leeds have been successful. Likewise, Mcguire.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

We played very well last night, indeed the best for a long time, but I do think Leeds were seriously off their game last night for whatever reason. They did not really seem up for it and seemed to be going through the motions. Whether that was showing up late, a Challenge Cup hangover or even that it was a meaningless game for them I don't know. We have all seen similar performances from ourselves over the last few years only to look a different team when it really matters. If we should meet them again in the play offs I would expect a very different game.