Sam Tomkins - Wigan TV Exclusive

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
exiled

Re: Sam Tomkins - Wigan TV Exclusive

Post by exiled »

The lad can't win whatever he does. Did the club invite him to use the facilities to keep fit ahead of the 4 Nations? We don't know the inside workings. Maybe the current squad will get a buzz from seeing Sam back, and in turn it could help them step up a gear when it is needed.

As for courting the limelight, Wigan TV would have approached him for the interview I would have thought, if he had turned them down some would have criticized that decision.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:Sam is not trying to hinder anything but on the clips Bitcon is doing 1 to 1 training with Sam whilst our players are training. He is not passing anything on, nor would it be of any benefit at this stage in the season.

Sam is looking after Sam keeping himself fit for the 4N and sadly is never one to shun the limelight which IMO is not healthy and distracting particularly when he wants the run of the place with our players yards away.

The remaining weeks are about the SL GF and Wigan winning it. Sam IMO should respect that and keep a low profile not court publicity. Irrespective of how many people want a piece, how hard is it to say no not at this time. Hell, far better players than Sam managed it; Ellery went most of his career without courting publicity nor does he come back to Wigan promoting himself, likewise Shaun Edwards would never have done this, likewise Andy Faz would not have done this. Does Billy B look to catch the cameras at our matches or give X amount of interviews.

Sam was a great player for us in his time. He left, his time has gone. Now is about Wigan 2014. He is welcome to come back when all out past players do.
I don't subscribe to Wigan TV, CP, is what you're on about something being shown of what Tomkins is doing in say an hour long clip for the TV Or is it something you are you seeing him doing first hand in the training area. Is Sam doing this every day and how do we know this?
As long as there is no distraction to what the squads preparation is for the next, hopefully, two games then I don't see it as an issue.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

exiled wrote:The lad can't win whatever he does. Did the club invite him to use the facilities to keep fit ahead of the 4 Nations? We don't know the inside workings. Maybe the current squad will get a buzz from seeing Sam back, and in turn it could help them step up a gear when it is needed.

As for courting the limelight, Wigan TV would have approached him for the interview I would have thought, if he had turned them down some would have criticized that decision.
Not one person beyond Sam and the club would have known.

FWIW I am and always will be a huge Sam fan BUT at this stage in the season my only concern and IMO what should be everybody's concern is winning the GF.

Wigan do not have a great record with these long breaks and distraction from the norm has been one of the key factors. Concentrate on Wigan present / future NOT past.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Sam is not trying to hinder anything but on the clips Bitcon is doing 1 to 1 training with Sam whilst our players are training. He is not passing anything on, nor would it be of any benefit at this stage in the season.

Sam is looking after Sam keeping himself fit for the 4N and sadly is never one to shun the limelight which IMO is not healthy and distracting particularly when he wants the run of the place with our players yards away.

The remaining weeks are about the SL GF and Wigan winning it. Sam IMO should respect that and keep a low profile not court publicity. Irrespective of how many people want a piece, how hard is it to say no not at this time. Hell, far better players than Sam managed it; Ellery went most of his career without courting publicity nor does he come back to Wigan promoting himself, likewise Shaun Edwards would never have done this, likewise Andy Faz would not have done this. Does Billy B look to catch the cameras at our matches or give X amount of interviews.

Sam was a great player for us in his time. He left, his time has gone. Now is about Wigan 2014. He is welcome to come back when all out past players do.
I don't subscribe to Wigan TV, CP, is what you're on about something being shown of what Tomkins is doing in say an hour long clip for the TV Or is it something you are you seeing him doing first hand in the training area. Is Sam doing this every day and how do we know this?
As long as there is no distraction to what the squads preparation is for the next, hopefully, two games then I don't see it as an issue.
Wigan TV are just 5-10 min clips PM
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

jobo wrote:"I'll never say never. I'll always be a Wigan fan even if I'm not playing there. I love the people and the town."

Crickey, I'd give him access to whatever facilities we've got just for those words.
So you believe anything and everything Sam ever says? We went through a virtual season of Sam bullshit (lies?) about whether or not he was leaving. Even the club got dragged in.

Sorry but Sam is a PR machine looking after Sam.

If Saints offered Sam more money than NZ Warriors he would sign for them in an instance. I would not blame him in the slightest, RL is a very short career but I personally take any press (PR) with a pinch of salt particularly where Sam is concerned. Anything said is effectively meaningless.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:

Thanks CP.
Do you think anything positive can be brought out of Sam returning to the DW, I remember you mentioning the positve ideas Andy Farrell brought on his short swift return not so long ago. Maybe Sam has some ideas that could be listened to, he is a well thought of lad among his ex - colleagues?
I imagine he can be quite a motivational person.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote: I don't subscribe to Wigan TV, CP, is what you're on about something being shown of what Tomkins is doing in say an hour long clip for the TV Or is it something you are you seeing him doing first hand in the training area. Is Sam doing this every day and how do we know this?
Thanks CP.
Do you think anything positive can be brought out of Sam returning to the DW, I remember you mentioning the positve ideas Andy Farrell brought on his short swift return not so long ago. Maybe Sam has some ideas that could be listened to, he is a well thought of lad among his ex - colleagues?
I imagine he can be quite a motivational person.
Not really. Faz was a captain, a coach and came in to do a talk to inspire. My guess it took 1-3 minutes but in terms of motivation it may have been incredibly valuable. Faz was not there for himself.

Sam is using the club to serve his own needs, using staff/facilities for Sam T PLC.
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Sam is using the club to serve his own needs, using staff/facilities for Sam T PLC.
CPW do you have any proof or other knowledge of this, apart from your interpretation of a couple of minutes clip on Wigan TV or is this all just your opinion without any facts of what is going on off camera.
Sam is certainly not camera shy and we were so proud of him when he wore Cherry & White and appeared as the golden boy of SL. He has gone on to other things, but his roots still appear to be with Wigan. I can not envisage him being in close proximity of everyone else without passing on things he has learned down under. It is then up to the coaching staff to use or discard it.
I'm sure he would soon be out on his elbow if Wane et al thought he was causing a distraction.
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

My only evidence is what has happened every time we have had a break and distractions/alternative training ideas never seemed to help and the farcical 'silence/misleads/lies' we endured in the lead up to Sam leaving. The same as everybody else.

Contrast Sam B leaving Souths; clarity from Day 1, even used to enhance Souths season whereas we continually went through farcical whispers/smokescreens etc etc.

If people want to believe anything said publically by Sam T then that is their choice and I presume they believed every farcical press release on the saga by Sam/Wigan too.

The day Wigan throw more money at Sam than anybody else or the day he is way past his best and not wanted elsewhere are the times when Sam will want to come back to Wigan. Sam loves £s (I do not blame him one bit) and I for one take anything he says with a heavy pinch of salt! To be honest even if he was a current player to use the word 'love' is crazy bordering on insulting.

Sam loves himself and £££££'s.

Nothing wrong with that if it comes with honesty.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sam loves to succeed, loves to win, loves to be the best IMHO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan