Kicker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Kicker

Post by DaveO »

Regardless of the GF penalty Smith's strike rate is not good enough.

Wane needs to sort this out for next season. If Smith turns up next season as our goal kicker and carries on in the same way, Wane will be at fault.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:Regardless of the GF penalty Smith's strike rate is not good enough.

Wane needs to sort this out for next season. If Smith turns up next season as our goal kicker and carries on in the same way, Wane will be at fault.
Come on, Hampshire missed three conversions in last weeks Academy Grand Final which nearly lost us the game and he is a better goal kicker than Smith!

John Ferguson

Post by John Ferguson »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Has to be looked at again, smith been given a full season now and shown no signs of getting better than the standard of a back up kicker. Need a 85% + kicker
We shouldn't have gone for 2 at 8-6 down, should have gone for a try!!
Agreed, said that before he missed.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:We shouldn't have gone for 2 at 8-6 down, should have gone for a try!!
agreed. down to 12 men and had them on the rack at that point.

score a try and the close result could have tipped in our favour.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I'll stick my neck out here and I know its off thread but hey ill take the kick backs.
The man of the match was James Robey, and he was afforded a good game, and he took his running and darting opportunities well gaining invaluable yards and inputus for saints. Micky Mac on the pitch and the same Robey seems to fade into nothingness.
For me our biggest missing player yesterday was Micky Mac.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Panchitta Marra wrote:I'll stick my neck out here and I know its off thread but hey ill take the kick backs.
The man of the match was James Robey, and he was afforded a good game, and he took his running and darting opportunities well gaining invaluable yards and inputus for saints. Micky Mac on the pitch and the same Robey seems to fade into nothingness.
I don't think you will receive any kick backs for that post PM. Even with 12 but MM on the pitch I think we win!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:I'll stick my neck out here and I know its off thread but hey ill take the kick backs.
I don't think you will receive any kick backs for that post PM. Even with 12 but MM on the pitch I think we win!!
I was sat in the rafters yesterday and just as the teams were being announced over the tannoy, this petulant little brat in front kept hooting on his horn as the players names were being announced. I thought I heard Sam Powell's name mentioned as starting hooker but wasn't sure. My eldest girls chap got the team up and read that Sam had replaced Mac with George on the bench. I said to my girls that this might now be even a closer game than the 8 points start the Smelly's had on the coupon.
To hold the trailer trash to 8 points with 12 men, minus macs influence on Tobey Robey was magnificent, irrespective of peoples thoughts on the officiating.
doc

Post by doc »

Walsh had the highest success rate this season at 78.5%.

Smith averaged 69.5%.

Given his poor form with the boot early in the season I guess towards the end he was probably in the low 70%s.

Given how many tries we score out wide due to our game plan I can't see many achieving greater than 75%.

The question now is do we go for a kicker in the transfer market with a better average at risk of lowering the quality of the team in other aspects of the game.

Personally I think a player should have to hold his own in the team first. The goal kicking is secondary.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

doc wrote:Walsh had the highest success rate this season at 78.5%.

Smith averaged 69.5%.

Given his poor form with the boot early in the season I guess towards the end he was probably in the low 70%s.

Given how many tries we score out wide due to our game plan I can't see many achieving greater than 75%.

The question now is do we go for a kicker in the transfer market with a better average at risk of lowering the quality of the team in other aspects of the game.

Personally I think a player should have to hold his own in the team first. The goal kicking is secondary.

Definitely, it's not rugby union. We don't want to turn our game into a kickathon, where it's more important to kick goals than score tries.
Wikimann

Post by Wikimann »

Dan Sarginson was MOM all day long for mine & never stopped running all final,has been outstanding recently. As to the goal kicking question,even Stevie Wonder could see how desperately we needed to replace Pat once he retuned to Liechardt Oval. We have needed to outscore most main rivals by 2 tries a game simply to cover the inevitable 8 points in missed conversions! Wire would of been put to bed much earlier with the extra points but the missed conversions keep opponents in touch. Priority off season purchase is a goal kicking half to replace Green,end of.