Joe Burgess on the MEN

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Joe Burgess on the MEN

Post by DaveO »

Our junior development strategy needs looking at.

We developed an outstanding player in Sam Tomkins. Phrases like "once in a generation type of player" were used to describe him.

He leaves.

Then lo and behold along comes another player who looks several cuts above the other junior players who get a go in the first team. A player mature beyond his years and one who is a pleasure to watch. In fact he's so good he makes the left wing spot his own in his first breakthrough season.

It looks like he is leaving.

There is clearly no point whatsoever in developing players this good. It's a waste of money.

Better off letting Wire and Saints poach the best juniors and let them leave their clubs when the time comes (except they don't seem to...wonder why?).

I once had an interview for job and the employer said quite candidly "We don't employ the very best people as they cost too much and they will leave anyway. We are after the next rung down."

I didn't go and work there. Felt such a statement was lacking in ambition.

I think IL is happy to operate in a similar way. "At the next rung down".

Trouble is I pay to watch the likes of Burgess not a second rate alternatives.

Losing Sam was bad enough but if we lose Burgess, then when junior players are lost to the NRL never mind the UK games top player it is time to seriously consider not renewing the season ticket.

This issue is far more serious than Flower and all the conspiracy theories and guff being spouted about that.

KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

I have just sent IL an email that probably will end up in a bin. I have expressed my utter disgust that we are possibly losing JB. It may be a futile gesture but until we stop sitting on our thumbs and do nothing IL will continue to inore we fee paying supporters with utter contempt. Whilst it is nice spouting off on this forum does it say anything to IL other than it's just hot air being spouted by fans on a forum.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

KOOCH wrote:I have just sent IL an email that probably will end up in a bin. I have expressed my utter disgust that we are possibly losing JB. It may be a futile gesture but until we stop sitting on our thumbs and do nothing IL will continue to inore we fee paying supporters with utter contempt. Whilst it is nice spouting off on this forum does it say anything to IL other than it's just hot air being spouted by fans on a forum.
Have to agree with you. A line has to be drawn somewhere.Feel that we are just not being taken seriously.And playing on our loyalty. I know that players move on but this is behond that. I have to question where will it stop Where just putting in money for youth development and paying for a feeder club for the Ausies.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
KOOCH wrote:I have just sent IL an email that probably will end up in a bin. I have expressed my utter disgust that we are possibly losing JB. It may be a futile gesture but until we stop sitting on our thumbs and do nothing IL will continue to inore we fee paying supporters with utter contempt. Whilst it is nice spouting off on this forum does it say anything to IL other than it's just hot air being spouted by fans on a forum.
Have to agree with you. A line has to be drawn somewhere.Feel that we are just not being taken seriously.And playing on our loyalty. I know that players move on but this is behond that. I have to question where will it stop Where just putting in money for youth development and paying for a feeder club for the Ausies.
Unfortunately IL does not seem to know where that line is. I understand that we need to stay financially viable as a club but at what cost? Do we retain players within the youth set up that are never going to make the grade at the top and continue to sell our assets. Who's next on the conveyor belt of talented youth available. George Williams? People have mentioned that it is a money thing with Scott Taylor now I don't know how true that is because others have also said he wants to play for his hometown club. But if it is money that is the root cause then IL needs to get shut of Oxford football club or get rid of Wigan. You can't rob Peter to pay Paul in this instance if that is indeed the case as uttered by others. We are indeed a feeder club for the nrl and will continue to be so under IL'S tenure.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

But surely as a businessman he can see that bums on seats is a better than a cheaper wage bill. Supports will vote with their wallets if the talent drain continues. Problem is the league itself is dying which means that IL can get away with this type of thing and still own a team at the sharp end
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

KOOCH wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
Unfortunately IL does not seem to know where that line is. I understand that we need to stay financially viable as a club but at what cost?
At all costs. Don't want to be the next "Bradford". If we are spending upto or close to the salary cap how can players get a payrise? I understand players have a market value and if some of our players aren't getting their market worth and we are close to the salary cap then maybe our squad is too big.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

We've two Aussies next year, what size is the lump they are taking up?
Pettybourne or Taylor, who would you prefer? All retrospective I know, but it's still a point raiser.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Wandering Warrior wrote:We've two Aussies next year, what size is the lump they are taking up?
Pettybourne or Taylor, who would you prefer? All retrospective I know, but it's still a point raiser.
I'd rather have Taylor (if he wanted to play for us) but he has made no secret of his desire to leave us.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

The booze hound wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:We've two Aussies next year, what size is the lump they are taking up?
I'd rather have Taylor (if he wanted to play for us) but he has made no secret of his desire to leave us.
I totally blame IL for the Taylor situation.

He should just take us from Wigan to Hull to keep Taylor happy.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Well done mate. What's his email address (if we are allowed to post it on the forum, if not just pm me). :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?