Props

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Props

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
medlocke wrote:Don't forget Jordan James
Too right Meds, great call the blokes not let the side down and glad you respect this.
He is past it and he was this season as well. Apart from the fact he isn't very skillful either.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Nezza Faz wrote:
DaveO wrote:Props are at the moment:

Taylor
Flower
Crosby
Tauati

Eddie
Clubb
Dudson

Greenwood
Sutton
Lever

The first four are good enough (I am assuming Tauati won't be a flop).

The next three are not.

The last three are inexperienced.

So given Flower is out till past Easter and Taylor looks to be finished here we basically have two props of a suitable standard at the start next season.
I'd add Ryan Sutton to your "suitable" list. When he was given successive games he was a big hit in all the games he played and more than held his own against much more experienced forwards, looking like a team-leader at times.

For his ability, he's above his years and I still remember his superb performance against Leeds at Magic, coming up against the heralded Peackock and more than held his own, always going forward, making progress.
Isn't Sutton supposed to be off to Oz as well as Burgess?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
Too right Meds, great call the blokes not let the side down and glad you respect this.
He is past it and he was this season as well. Apart from the fact he isn't very skillful either.
and yet he did exactly what the coach wanted him to do, and if he is called in to fill a slot next year and does it without letting the team down then that's good enough for me, rather have James for a number of games than spend a decent percentage of the cap and end up with a prop who is no better, not every player has to be a world beater :exc:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Lever IMO has looked fantastic at prop in the Academy
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote: Too right Meds, great call the blokes not let the side down and glad you respect this.
and yet he did exactly what the coach wanted him to do, and if he is called in to fill a slot next year and does it without letting the team down then that's good enough for me, rather have James for a number of games than spend a decent percentage of the cap and end up with a prop who is no better, not every player has to be a world beater :exc:
James is just rubbish. He was not good enough the first time we signed him which is why he was let go and he isn't good enough now.

As to the money side of it we are paying wages to 10 or 11 props (if you include Burke as a prop) and it would be 12 if james gets a go.

That is just a stupid waste of money given the quality of some of the senior ones is poor.
wildbeast

Post by wildbeast »

Don't think we are too badly placed for props. Sutton is a great prospect and crosby can only get better but say goodbye to dudson please-never impressed.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

DaveO wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:
DaveO wrote:Props are at the moment:

Taylor
Flower
Crosby
Tauati

Eddie
Clubb
Dudson

Greenwood
Sutton
Lever

The first four are good enough (I am assuming Tauati won't be a flop).

The next three are not.

The last three are inexperienced.

So given Flower is out till past Easter and Taylor looks to be finished here we basically have two props of a suitable standard at the start next season.
I'd add Ryan Sutton to your "suitable" list. When he was given successive games he was a big hit in all the games he played and more than held his own against much more experienced forwards, looking like a team-leader at times.

For his ability, he's above his years and I still remember his superb performance against Leeds at Magic, coming up against the heralded Peackock and more than held his own, always going forward, making progress.
DaveO, I heard, if the story is correct (from a reliable source)that Wigan have refused the move to the Roosters.

Apparently there was an illegal approach made to the player or agent, whilst in contract to the Warriors. Therefore Wigan are holding him to his contract, which I think has another 12 months to run.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Nezza Faz wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote: I'd add Ryan Sutton to your "suitable" list. When he was given successive games he was a big hit in all the games he played and more than held his own against much more experienced forwards, looking like a team-leader at times.

DaveO, I heard, if the story is correct (from a reliable source)that Wigan have refused the move to the Roosters.

Apparently there was an illegal approach made to the player or agent, whilst in contract to the Warriors. Therefore Wigan are holding him to his contract, which I think has another 12 months to run.
:thum: 100% correct
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
That's your opinion.
Do we have skillful props at Wigan.
Who are they and what skills do they possess above Jordan James?
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Nezza Faz wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote: I'd add Ryan Sutton to your "suitable" list. When he was given successive games he was a big hit in all the games he played and more than held his own against much more experienced forwards, looking like a team-leader at times.

when will somebody quote from an unreliable source :lol: