Match Preview - England v Samoa

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cow yeds

Re: Match Preview - England v Samoa

Post by cow yeds »

Don't forget this Aussie side is like their third team. Over 23 players unavailable for selection.
wildbeast

Post by wildbeast »

cow yeds wrote:Don't forget this Aussie side is like their third team. Over 23 players unavailable for selection.
The Aussies have been the best exponenets of their sport for a genertion or more. The standards they set have got to be admired. As I said before beware a wounded Aussie. Really hope England can do it next week but we will have to be a lot sharper than we were against Samoa-The Aussies will be so much better than than they were against NZ. What we can't do(this is difficult) and we have in the past is give them too much respect.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I was shocked by how poor Aus were. For years, their depth was frightening but very few of the players out there v NZ resembled that standard. Even Hoff (Ryan Hoffman) looked out of his depth. I would argue that the Samoa pack was far better than the Aus one we will face. You then take GI out and there is nothing in the backline to create magic.

I may end up looking silly (no chasnge there!) BUT perhaps Australia's deficiencies have been masked / covered up by some exceptional backline players and a sublime 6/7/9 several of whome are now ageing and nearing the end of their careers.

NZ looked very good though.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:I was shocked by how poor Aus were. For years, their depth was frightening but very few of the players out there v NZ resembled that standard. Even Hoff (Ryan Hoffman) looked out of his depth. I would argue that the Samoa pack was far better than the Aus one we will face. You then take GI out and there is nothing in the backline to create magic.

I may end up looking silly (no chasnge there!) BUT perhaps Australia's deficiencies have been masked / covered up by some exceptional backline players and a sublime 6/7/9 several of whome are now ageing and nearing the end of their careers.

Like I have said on another thread, a lot to do with the increasing number of 'foreign' players now plying their trade in the NRL which is imo having a effect on the 'Aussie' playing strength of their club squads.

The club squads may be stronger, but is it to the detriment of their national team.

I hope so!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:I was shocked by how poor Aus were. For years, their depth was frightening but very few of the players out there v NZ resembled that standard. Even Hoff (Ryan Hoffman) looked out of his depth. I would argue that the Samoa pack was far better than the Aus one we will face. You then take GI out and there is nothing in the backline to create magic.

Correct, GI is their most outstanding player IMO & yes, like our team for the last few years they are picking on pass reputation, they may be very good for their own teams but they are ageing rapidly for the international team.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

England weren't great by any means but it was a decent first game after the traveling and the change in climate etc. Samoa certainly posed more of a challenge than the normal game against the weaker 4th nation and it will certainly stand them in much better stead for the games against Australia and NZ.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I think that's all very true CP. They have been blessed with an incredibly talented 'spine' for over a decade and now "ageism" is catching up, their ready made replacement's not there in the same mould; kind of a once in a generation thing.

Still huge strength in depth though, people forgetting most of their replacements are State of Origin players anyway, which some say is of a higher quality than Test football.

Would still be a very difficult game for England who will have to be up for the full 80, and not concede stupid penalties to be in with a chance, but a chance we have.