Mossop in link with early exit from NRL

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Mossop in link with early exit from NRL

Post by josie andrews »

LEE Mossop has been linked with a return to Super League next season – but not with Wigan.

The prop left the Warriors at the end of 2013 to join Parramatta on a two-year deal. His debut NRL season was bookended by long spells on the sidelines with shoulder problems.

Despite his injuries, Mossop’s stock remains high and at least one Super League outfit are pushing hard to sign him for 2015 – raising the possibility of him playing against the club where he made 111 appearances over six seasons.

Under the terms of his six-figure transfer to Parramatta, Wigan retained first option on his services if he decided to return to Super League.

He is highly regarded at the Warriors and was in their dressing room during the play-offs.

But coach Shaun Wane has previously made no secret of the fact they have little room left under the salary cap limit of £1.6m.

A deal for Huddersfield’s Larne Patrick is also thought to be down the line.

Mossop, who became a dad two months ago, has not made any public comments suggesting he wants to cut short his NRL deal, but at least one outfit are chasing him hard.

Meanwhile, details of Wigan’s World Club Series game against Brisbane should be made next Wednesday. They are scheduled to meet on Saturday February 21 as part of the six-team competition.

But Latics are at home on the same day, meaning one fixture will need to be moved if both are to be played at the DW Stadium.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-6932575
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Mossop in link with early exit from NRL

Post by medlocke »

I really do hope we DON'T re-sign him, he's got shoulders like soggy rich tea biscuits
Garry Riley

Post by Garry Riley »

Agreed.Good player when fit, but too risky to se-sign him.
Sound & Vision - TV Audio Video - Sales - Service
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Im more concerned with this comment

But coach Shaun Wane has previously made no secret of the fact they have little room left under the salary cap limit of £1.6m

How on earth can we be pushing the cap?

Over the last 2 years we have lost;

Sam Tomkins (Mega High Earner)
Pat Richards (High Earner)
Lee Mossop (High Earner)
Harrison Hansen (Decent Earner
Gaz Hock (Decent Earner)
Blake Green (High Earner)
Darrel Goulding (Decent Earner)
Plus a few fringe players like tuson et al

And we have brought in

Hopkins (never played for first team cant see him being on much)

Pettybourne (probably on a decent wage but shouldnt be on mega bucks)

Bowen (probably cost a bit but his contract extension should have been the same or lower IMO)

Tony Clubb (average wage i would guess)

Dan Sarginson (average maybe a bit more)

John Bateman (probably on a decent wedge)

Jordan James (quite frankly anything more than a wagon wheel and pat on the back is too much)

Taulima Tautai (cant imagine he is on much more than average)

unless there has been massive increases to the wages of the younger members of the team like burgess/hampshire etc.

i know there has been new deals for smith, mickey mac and lockers which wont have come cheap but still we have shed 4 or 5 top earners and i dont see us having replaced them with people with anywhere near the earning ability.

Adding to that the rumours that we pay our youth players pittance i fail to see how we can be close to the cap
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

Williams has signed a new deal which I would imagine would be significantly more than he was on.

But I don't know who else has signed recently.

Farrell, Charnley?

Has Gelling had a new deal? if so that will be an increase.

Other than that I don't know how we're at the cap.

Just remembered Joel, but he won't be on silly money like Sam was.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

josie andrews wrote:LEE Mossop has been linked with a return to Super League next season – but not with Wigan.
Leeds are his likeliest destination. Sold Bailey and Kirke and on the look out for a new prop
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Thought moose was a solid player for Wigan, and easily in the top 4 international props for his country before he got injured down under.
Sadly his weak shoulder(s) have put some doubt into him being a credible re-signing.
If he hadn't already have been a Wigan regular, would he be considered by Wigan as a good reliable British signing from overseas?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I liked Mossop, thought he was excellent BUT there is the injury question.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

The club should not re-sign him as he is now a bad risk due to his injuries. Something which was evident in the latter days of his time at Wigan.

keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Not sure about this but if Mossop comes back for next season would he only be able to sign a 12 month contract if he went to another club as my understanding is Wigan have the first option AFTER A 2 YEAR CONTRACT.Or am I just seeing something thats not there.The reason I say this is that Wigan will have planned around salary cap for his release and already planned for this season.