Much better!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Much better!

Post by GeoffN »

Dodgy Hodgy deserves a mention too! three delightful fluffs!
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Sorry, but cannot see it with Orr. Yes Moran is making progress, but Danny's attacking play is nil. He is good in defence but I'm afraid he's not good enough for us.
As with Wild and Aspinwal, they cannot get any worse. The sooner they go the better. Aspinwall is just clueless and wild for GB..oh dear.
And worst of all is Jerry....

I would sooner see him as 'jerry the berry'
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Wizard_Millward posted:
Fair evaluation, but i disagree about DV, i thought he produced some nice offloads and he's now convinced me he's got the skill to really make an impact.
I agree with Geoff, DV was a non-entity as usual. He never looks for the ball, he sits in the shadows whilst the likes of Dallas, Carney and Aspinwall do all the hard work. If you watch him for a few minutes you'll see how lazily he gets into position. At one point he was stood about 10 yards back from our attacking line because he wasn't paying attention. What was he trying to do when he was holding the ball in his outstretched arm, trying to give it away? Then when he got nowhere he aimlessly flicked it out, could have gone anywhere, luckily it went to one of our players.

I thought Dallas did a job at FB, he wasn't really tested an awful lot, again I agree with Geoff that he allowed the ball to bounce more than Radders would but in his defence in most instances he recovered well.

Aspinwall was pretty quiet for me, good in defence, worked hard going forward making a few metres each time. Brown was good in defence, pretty quiet going forward. Carney, I thought worked really hard tonight and I was pleased to see that.

Our half backs won us the game I feel. Moran had probably his first faultless game (although it may have been him that once kicked straight to the hands of Langi). Both had decent kicking games, can only remember the one straight to a player.

Our forwards were mixed in my opinion; Newton played alright, as did Wild and Tickle. Seuseu was a bit disappointing again, apparently he's struggled with a knee injury all season, I hope he fixes this before the next term starts. I thought Hargreaves was good again, very pleased with how he's coming on. Scully looked like he'd not left long enough between going McDonalds and playing rugby!

Overall we got the two points, still far too few options for out half backs, when will we try making angled runs about the play maker? For me Ganson spoilt the game. He was under fire the other week for giving away too many penalties, tonight he allowed far too much lying on. If the game was allowed to slow down any more they'd have been throwing on two extra players per side!
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

unfortunatley couldnt make tonights game :( really happy with the result and I'm glad moran played well. he seems to be playing well recently. On the subject of danny orr the people on the radio said tickles try was class between him and orr.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
Wizard_Millward posted:
Fair evaluation, but i disagree about DV, i thought he produced some nice offloads and he's now convinced me he's got the skill to really make an impact.
I agree with Geoff, DV was a non-entity as usual. He never looks for the ball, he sits in the shadows whilst the likes of Dallas, Carney and Aspinwall do all the hard work. If you watch him for a few minutes you'll see how lazily he gets into position. At one point he was stood about 10 yards back from our attacking line because he wasn't paying attention. What was he trying to do when he was holding the ball in his outstretched arm, trying to give it away? Then when he got nowhere he aimlessly flicked it out, could have gone anywhere, luckily it went to one of our players.
That first short kickoff summed it up for me; he was beaten to the ball by Hodgson!

I thought Dallas did a job at FB, he wasn't really tested an awful lot, again I agree with Geoff that he allowed the ball to bounce more than Radders would but in his defence in most instances he recovered well.
IMO he was lucky that they were never close enough to put any pressure on him.

Aspinwall was pretty quiet for me, good in defence, worked hard going forward making a few metres each time. Brown was good in defence, pretty quiet going forward. Carney, I thought worked really hard tonight and I was pleased to see that.

Our half backs won us the game I feel. Moran had probably his first faultless game (although it may have been him that once kicked straight to the hands of Langi). Both had decent kicking games, can only remember the one straight to a player.

Our forwards were mixed in my opinion; Newton played alright, as did Wild and Tickle. Seuseu was a bit disappointing again, apparently he's struggled with a knee injury all season, I hope he fixes this before the next term starts. I thought Hargreaves was good again, very pleased with how he's coming on. Scully looked like he'd not left long enough between going McDonalds and playing rugby!

Overall we got the two points, still far too few options for out half backs, when will we try making angled runs about the play maker? For me Ganson spoilt the game. He was under fire the other week for giving away too many penalties, tonight he allowed far too much lying on. If the game was allowed to slow down any more they'd have been throwing on two extra players per side!
Agreed about Ganson, but apart from the high tackles, he was pretty evenly bad for both sides, which is all I ever hope for from a referee. There seemed to be more activity from the touchjudges than we've seen for a long time...that has to be a good sign! Apart from their disallowed try, there were a couple of knock-ons and forward passes that appeared to have been called from the sidelines, judging by how long it took Ganson to blow the whistle.
One question, though...why was he playing advantage after Carney stepped in touch, then kicked on, in the second half? Don't remember that in the rulebook?
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

GeoffN, pleased to see that both you and Robjoenz are now coming to the same conclusion on Vaelaeki that I reached around April. I would hope Maurice reaches the same conclusion pretty soon but on the strength of his failure to admit errors like Florimo and Orr cannot see it and as I keep reminding people we have unfortunately got him for the next two years.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

sorry to say this i know i must watch a diffrent game ,maybe ite becuse of ere we sit,i thoughr seu seu was getting more involved today,looks like he needs to score ,so he dosnt have to do the naked run around the jjb :) at one stage in the 2nd half salford started to make a break down the left seu seu could see we were a little short in the backs he made a sprint(if you can call it that) to cover the backs and then put in a great tackle to stop the move ,he was better at going forward,dont 4 get this guy cant walk he was booksd in 4 the same opp as raders,but declined the opp as he feels we are short of big forwards so we have cancelled till the season is over.im thinks he can cover radders but not seu seu that most prove how much effert he puts in tgat we dont notice and how high im thinks of him.Yes much better game all roung moran playing better but i think that is only because of the pressure orr takes off him.Orrs organising was good today ,i beleive he his the perfecct stand in captain because of that(but thats only my opinioand yed dodgy hodgy proved today why we let him go that knock on he did when he was cleam through could of changed the game.Mr robinson ,terry newton went for an high tackle on you and missed you with a mile were did you learn to act like that ws it off karl(the moan about everthing but your team)Harrison :wink:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

ian.birchall posted:
GeoffN, pleased to see that both you and Robjoenz are now coming to the same conclusion on Vaelaeki that I reached around April.
I think we've both been of this opinion since April also. There are a quite a few of us that can't figure out for the life of us why people are raving about what an amazing centre we have in him.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

mike binder posted:
sorry to say this i know i must watch a diffrent game ,maybe ite becuse of ere we sit,i thoughr seu seu was getting more involved today...
It's DV we were criticising. Jerry had an OK game, nothing special...and yes I am making allowance for his injuries. Scully and Hargreaves made a lot more yards than he did, though.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Mmmm, DV did a lot of crash balls for yardage in the 1st half. I am not saying he was awesome but he did fine IMO. Aspinwall went okay tonight I thought. To be honest as a team we did well but I temper that by the quality of the opposition.

However, I do not think some people take note of tactics when assessing matches and players contributions. Salford were using a compressed up and out defensive system. They want you to pass the ball laterally to centres and wings. Wigan did what a good team would do and broke them up around the play of the ball or by coming back on themselves. Hence, Terry running was very important.