Half a million £

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Half a million £

Post by ian.birchall »

down the pan then this season.

Possible matches in season counted as 31
28 League and 3 Powergen cup game.
The three figures in order are the players estimated annual salary, the number of games missed already this season plus any they will miss from now to the end of the season if they are out for the year and the third number is the cost of their salary whilst they have not been playing,

Aspinwall £60k 0 £0
Brown £30k 4 £3,871
Carney £90k 15 £43,548
Dallas £120k 2 £7,742
Davico £80k 31 £80,000
Farrell £225k 16 £116,129
Godwin £40k 7 £9,032
Guissett £60k 3 £5,806
Hansen £20k 3 £1,935
Hock £30k 26 £25,161
Moran £70k 2 £4,516
Newton £90k 4 £10,323
loughlin £40k 22 £28,387
Orr £75k 10 £24,194
Radlinski £150k 15 £72,581
Scully £60k 7 £13,548
Seu Seu K80k 3 £7,742
Tickle £50k 1 £1,613
Vaelaeki £110K 5 £17,742
Wild £50K 0 £0

Total £1530K £475,161

Interesting that the two players who consistently get most criticism bookend this table and are the only ones to cost us nothing in injuries, this approximation of salaries also shows that we are still well within any salary cap even with the large number of £10k academy players we have played this year. I have included Farrells salary and games upto the end of May when he offically defected and started being paid by RU and I have also ignored the costs of Davico's second contracted year.
Comments welcomed as to the correctness of these estimated salaries.

PS looks much better in XL :exc:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
mike binder

Re: Half a million £

Post by mike binder »

:(
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

Doesnt make for happy viewing does it..
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

You need to get out more, Ian! :wink:

Bits to add for Botham and McDonald? And surely we cancelled Davico's contract, and didn't pay him anything. The young lads we've used would easily bring it up close to the £1.8m, I suspect.

Good point about how much our injuries have cost us, though...are they covered by insurance?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Ian isn't that a silly concept. If everybody was fit, some of the above would miss matches anyway as you can only select 17 per match. So by your reckoning they would be lost money.

Players are paid by the year/season.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

cpwigan,
I think if you check the names above and take out Davico and Farrell neither of whom played a game of course you will see that there are only 18 players left which may be 1 above the 17 for any one match but I don't think it unreasonable.
That also answers your ? GeoffN , I deliberately left out the bits and pieces players then people like cpwigan would not accuse me of double accounting, a vain hope in retrospect! On Davico I decided that we would not have been able to con the insurance man into paying both years of the extended contract Maurice gave him after 2 days at Wigan when he announced how beautiful and wonderful it was so marked it down as one to the insurance and once to the club. I believe that sportsmans injuries are only paid out under insurance if they are career ending since as cpwigan says everyone gets injured sometime, or in Carneys case all the time, so no club could afford the insurance premiums if they could find anyone daft enough to insure the risk of a RL player picking up an injury that keeps him out for a few weeks.
Get out more?, I have 5 hours to spare every time I do not go to the JJB to see Hull play as John Kear said this morning on the Superleague Show and being a whizz on xl it took me no time at all :roll:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Ian :D Not quite sure how to say this and do not take offence but your talking bollocks. Firstly your salary figures are incorrect. As an example Hock is £48,000 PA, how that salary is paid out I nor anybody but a few people know.

My point is very simple and you have missed it totally. Your premise is that of a player misses a match it is wasted money, down the drain as you put it BUT when everybody is fit or more than 17 are fit, players through no fault of there own miss matches because they are not selected. We had many players in our best years who played a handful of games but we still needed them and they were vital. But by your reckoning, if they do not play, they are money down the drain. Heaven knows what you think of Chelsea :D

I still do not see the relevance of your idea anyway. I'll give you an example from my own life, I worked with two colleagues, one never missed a day, the other missed several and had a poor attendance record yet was still more productive because when she was present she was far far better than the conscientious attender.

Jerry is playing week in week out injured but is that totally productive. No and whatsmore he get's slated for playing poorly by some supporters. It's a necessary evil but long term it could be even worse. I recall Henderson Gill playing a full season injured, his career spiralled downhill afterwards.

We sign players for what they can do for our club and thus we accept absence as an occupational hazard. Sean O'Loughlin earned his contract and more on what he did when fit IMO. I consider NO money spent whilst he's injured money down the drain. Moreso, he is currently not playing but he is working upon his physique which will make him even better and more productive when he returns and he has with Hock been here, there and everywhere promoting the club and raising revenue indirectly through increased numbers of supporters.

Seen people kill themselves rather than miss a days work. They never get thought any better for it and maybe just maybe if we looked after employees better then we'd see increased productivity.