Keiron Cunningham reveals how he tried to help Ben Flower after infamous Grand Final punch

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Keiron Cunningham reveals how he tried to help Ben Flower after infamous Grand Final punch

Post by josie andrews »

KEIRON CUNNNINGHAM has revealed how he tried to help Grand Final bad boy Ben Flower.

The world of sport was in uproar after Flower's brutal attack on St Helens half back Lance Hohaia last October.

The Wigan prop was sent off for the second minute assault and has since been banned for six months.

Saints went on to win 14-6 and clinch the Super League title, sparking their biggest celebrations for eight years.

But new Saints coach Cunningham said it was important immediately after the game to also try and support Flower.

Cunningham, who was assistant at the time, contacted Wigan boss Shaun Wane to offer their help.

He said: "I telephoned Waney to wish Ben Flower all my support and say that he could speak to me or Lance if he wanted.

"He probably took one step too far, that was it. Rugby is a really tough and physical game and it's all on a knife edge.

"Sometimes the emotion of playing in big games gets the better of you. I have done it myself, but probably not to that extent.

"But he has got to live with that for a long time and it is not good. It is a tough burden to carry for him."

Cunningham said Flower never took up the offer to speak to him or Hohaia but is still glad Saints offered the olive branch.

He added: "I just wanted to give him the support from the club because he would be in a bit of a dark place."

The two Grand Finalists meet in a pre-season friendly on Sunday week and Cunningham said he expects another feisty clash.

He said: "We played them in a testimonial game last year and they were knocking bells out of each other.

"In pre-season games, you cannot replicate what you get in Super League games but that was the closest we have had."

Cunningham, 38, is the first coach since Brian McClennan took over at Leeds in 2008 to inherit a Grand Final winning side.

McClennan successfully defended the title in his first year but Cunningham insists he's not worried by the pressure of trying to do the same.

He said: "I enjoy pressure, that is why I wanted the job. I want to win trophies and I am quietly confident with my group of players."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/rugby-league ... rand-Final
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Keiron Cunningham reveals how he tried to help Ben Flower after...

Post by josie andrews »

They just won't put this incident to bed!!

Why keep bringing it up if not to try & socially undermine Wigan but more so Ben Flower in getting over what happened over three months ago!

Is it going to be dragged up every couple of months by Saints or the media?

Certainly looks that way :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Total garbage by Cunningham. As you say Josie they are interested in simply continuing with their act of being the injured party. Was Choir Boy Lance not found guilty too and did he not assault a player off the ball too. IIRC, Cunnigham never said anything when his teammates were assaulting Offiah in several games.

Wigan failing to defend Ben and not highlighting Hohaia was a serious misjudgement on our part.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

I read this shite from Cunningham and thought how gullible do you think we are here at Wigan. Some will probably come out and defend Cunningham but it is utter tripe.They are trying as Josie said to undermine us.Just hope the players take this with a pinch of salt.Never did like Cunningham as a player and much more so now that he's the coach.Mind you never like anyone playing for stains.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Like from all coaches the media want a comment and statement about anything controversial but Cunningham missed an opportunity here to be a bit statesmanlike and dismiss it and talk about something else.

As Cunningham hasn't been retired that long I am surprised he went on about olive branches and what not because he knows the game from a (recent) players perspective.

He is either wanting to prolong it, which as a former player as I said not long retired, is surprising or like a lot of coaches, Wane included he isn't well schooled with the media and doesn't know when to shut up.

We can't throw too many stones his way though because I am afraid IL has done the same sort of thing regarding Flower.

I am surprised Flower hasn't asked for the transfer to the NRL to get away from all this tripe.
menpond

Post by menpond »

Clever by Cunningham. Interesting times ahead.Bookies have us v close with Saints for this years honours. Wane ,OL, and Deacon are a formidable combination if they are together.Let battle commence.
mp
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

I personally believe stains are being over hyped by the media.Expect the danger to come from Warrington and Cas who tailed off badly.Expect Powell to have learned from last season.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

KOOCH wrote:Expect the danger to come from Warrington and Cas who tailed off badly.Expect Powell to have learned from last season.
I reckon Cas overachieved last year and losing Clarke (who was outstanding) to Wire will leave them in about 7th/8th. The Dragons are looking stronger and are a real danger now, along with Wire
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

The above comments from fatty just reiterates further why we should have defended Flower as a club more than we did so others can't keep going on about it and we just have to listen and accept without any reposte!! Fuming!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

There should be nothing to stop Wigan asserting themselves and in doing so demand that Saints stop these cheap media stunt but sadly we won't. We know it, Saints knowq it and they are literally taking the P. Wigan fans need to be incredibly vocal, even with banners when we play Saints even in a friendly.