'Home' game on the road?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: 'Home' game on the road?

Post by ian.birchall »

No straw damn us wrote:
ian.birchall wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:No doubt the ST holders will have their disruption considered!?!
Oh at least 15% back on the season ticket I am sure Mr L will be offering to compensate for the increased cost of getting to this home match. NOT.
!5%? It's one game in 14 or 15.
If we make the top 4 it's in effect a free game anyway. I don't have a problem with the concept at all. It's all about getting the Wigan Warriors brand out into the market and the next thing to do is get some of our development team down there. Somewhere down there is another Offiah, Sarginson, Clubb etc.
I see you are a fan of Star Trek and believe that you'll be magically beamed up from the DW and come down in London at nil cost,thumbing back perhaps. 15% is a low estimate of the losses incurred by season ticket holders I would suggest.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

The booze hound wrote:I don't think this idea is about giving Londoners a chance to watch rugby league it's to raise Wigans profile/accessibility in order to gain investment and 'partners'. Much like top FC's touring Asia. It's not a bad thing, especially if any investments help fund our youth development, world class training facilities etc.
I am a season ticket holder and have no problem with this. Season ticket sales alone do not fund our great club.
But its friendlies that football teams play or some made up tournament its never for points. Why not take the semi finals for the CC down to London or even a World Club Challenge game. This has the potential to come back and bite us.

As for profile and investment only way you raise that if the whole game goes up a level. Basically England needs to win the world Cup. A winning national side will raise awareness we will not raise any by going to London.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The booze hound wrote:I don't think this idea is about giving Londoners a chance to watch rugby league it's to raise Wigans profile/accessibility in order to gain investment and 'partners'. Much like top FC's touring Asia. It's not a bad thing, especially if any investments help fund our youth development, world class training facilities etc.
I am a season ticket holder and have no problem with this. Season ticket sales alone do not fund our great club.
So it could be say, Wigan v Hudds down in London?

Why do you think Londoners would want to watch that?

They won't. We are not a top football club and if you think there are lots of Londoner's anxious to go and watch Wigan or to watch RL you are sadly mistaken.

I don't know what ground it would be at but I reckon it will be a loss making venture once the costs are taken in because I doubt you will get a crowd any larger (and it will probably be lower) than the corresponding fixture at the DW.

Surely they would not have the cheek to charge season ticket holders entry? Assuming they don't then where does the money come from to fund this?

Clubs have had to put up a retainer for the World Club challenge and that is to play top Aussie sides in the heartland. Not a regular season fixture with 190 mile round trip thrown in.

Think the idea is bonkers.

markill

Post by markill »

I'm in the group that don't have a big issue with this. We aren't actually 'losing' anything because it isn't something we have and in fact I can't think of a season we've had 15 home league games in my time having a season ticket anyway. I do winner how successful it might be but if it did do what was hoped and help grow the brand of Wigan and with it Super League then it's a good thing surely. I feel it's a little narrow minded to get too upset with the idea personally, but I feel the same about Thursday night games, and I know I'm definitely in a minority there. Each to there own though.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

markill wrote:I'm in the group that don't have a big issue with this. We aren't actually 'losing' anything because it isn't something we have and in fact I can't think of a season we've had 15 home league games in my time having a season ticket anyway. I do winner how successful it might be but if it did do what was hoped and help grow the brand of Wigan and with it Super League then it's a good thing surely. I feel it's a little narrow minded to get too upset with the idea personally, but I feel the same about Thursday night games, and I know I'm definitely in a minority there. Each to there own though.
RL keeps having these bright ideas to raise awareness and yet for literally decades has neglected the one thing that would do just that - the international game.

I know people who are sports fans (mainly soccer) who never watch RU or Cricket unless there is an international on, but when there is, they do.

They can identify with supporting England or GB in any sport but wouldn't walk to end of the street to watch a regular season fixture between two RU sides for example.

I don't see why RL should expect any different.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Plans for a home game in London are ‘progressing

WIGAN’S plans to stage a Super League game in London are “progressing”.

And chairman Ian Lenagan is growing more confident it may take place as early as this year.

Lenagan had previously admitted the Warriors were “considering” moving one of their home fixtures to the capital.

And now, the ex-London Broncos owner said: “I would say my confidence that it will happen this year is at 65 per cent right now.

“The discussions will take a while with the RFL, but it’s progressing.”

He was in London last Friday as a young Warriors line-up took on London Skolars in the heart of the city (inset below) – reaffirming his belief there is great potential to grow the club’s brand, and rugby league as a whole, in London.

Warriors recently tied up a lucrative sponsorship deal with city traders CWM FX, which saw stars including Josh Charnley attend the London Boat Show.

“A game is only part of our overall ambition to expand our profile in and around London,” said Lenagan, who has mentioned Fulham or QPR as potential venues for an ‘on the road’ game.

“It’s an important market for us.”

Other sports clubs have taken home games on the road, with NRL outfits Souths Sydney (Perth) and Canterbury Bulldogs (Mackay) moving matches within Australia, while several American Football franchises have played regular season games to packed crowds at Wembley Stadium. With London Broncos relegated to the Championship, a Warriors game in the capital would help give Super League a presence there – even if it is only for one weekend.

Lenagan says no fixture or date has been selected but it is expected to be a high-profile encounter.

Wigan only have one scheduled home tie against a fellow ‘big four’ club throughout May, June and July – against Leeds on July 9.

But they are likely to face top opposition during the ‘Super 8s’ stage of the season, throughout August and early September – though that would be close to the Challenge Cup Final at Wembley on August 29.

During the ‘Super 8s’ stage, clubs play an additional seven fixtures – with either four or three home games, depending on where they are positioned in the table.

Lenagan was speaking to the Evening Post ahead of a fans’ forum at the DW Stadium tonight, when he will outline his club’s future plans and take questions from supporters.

Some fans may be keen to learn if he comments about Joe Burgess’ future.

The winger – out of contract at the end of this season – is thought to have tied up a move to NRL outfit Sydney Roosters for 2016, but Warriors have made no public comment.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-7064665
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
WESTCUMBRIARIVERSIDER

Post by WESTCUMBRIARIVERSIDER »

yet another ploy to promote rugby league in the capital, has it not been proven that this is never going to work, and stop ripping fans off with stupid no point games, and here we go again lets use Wiga to do it they will fetch a good support down against a good team. i for one am getting sick of all this changing games for sky, and the stupid magic weekend, now this rubbish idea, it should be play each team home and away without extra games for tv .
RJ

Post by RJ »

Isn't it enough that fans have to put up with Sky's interference in match scheduling without the club swanning off to London on some wild goose chase. Supporters deserve more consideration .than this particularly when they invest their hard earned cash in season tickets.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I thought Rads or IL put the point well re the London game and how fans were only charged for 1 extra game on their new season ticket.

More importantly, you have to look at the bigger picture; London is a fantastic source of investment, we need to be tapping into those revenue streams to grow as a club / sport.

If you had a choice? Boost the profile of Wigan / RL by playing a game in London whereby longer term increased investment comes from it and we stop losing talented youngsters OR DO YOU OPT FOR

I live for today and do not care if their is no jam on the table in 5 years time as long as I only have to travel to watch Wigan play at Wembley in a CC Final.

???

The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

cpwigan wrote:If you had a choice? Boost the profile of Wigan / RL by playing a game in London whereby longer term increased investment comes from it and we stop losing talented youngsters OR DO YOU OPT FOR

I live for today and do not care if their is nop jam on the table in 5 years time as long as I only have to travel to watch Wigan play at Wembley in a CC Final.

???
My sentiments exactly.