What's happened to Matty?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
sc74

Re: What's happened to Matty?

Post by sc74 »

With a new 4 yr contract.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Looks like Matty is now the new target!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

ive notice from last season that Matty Smiths preformance seems to come down to the amount of pressure on him responsibility wise, when hes not under pressure to make the kicks he seems to put them through and is positional kicking is brilliant.

however when the presure is on he seems to just fail with his goal kicking or bomb a kick in play.

thats said we are only 3 games into the season and no matter how much it is said how important all the games are, we are slow burners. Start poor - improve - come together when it matters.

lets hope its the same this year.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Looks like Matty is now the new target!
No he's not. It would be unfair to blame him for the current run of results but in my view he is not good enough for Wigan.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Smith is a decent half back more than capable against what super league has to offer.

Id say luke walsh and todd carney are the only 2 who are far better, and they both come with issues.

Chase and Brough have moments but aren't as consistent.

Matty is a solid player, his kicking has been off lately but as CP states its very difficult for a half back to look good under a beaten pack.

I think there is a lack of class in this wigan side though especially with lockers powers on the wane
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

x Wigan Warrior x wrote:smith bashing ... how predictable :doz:

I am not Smith bashing because we are having a bad start to the season.I was amazed when we signed him, I did not rate him then and I said so.Of course he is not the only reason for our poor start to the season.Shocking discipline, a world class full back who appears not to want to play for us, a potentially top class winger who seems to be in Sydney already, no plan B to fall back on and the insistence on buying players who are cheap but certainly not Wigan class.IL and SW need to address the situation now before we find ourselves unable to achieve a top 4 place.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

It's not about 'targets' as much as players playing crap. Fair to say he isn't playing particularly well at the moment.
If I had a bad few weeks at work, I'd certainly know about it. Even a bad day.
How on earth are they not up for it and raring to go?
Since the first pre-season farcical friendly, not good enough all round.
I like him, and I like the fact that he can string a sentence together.
Sort it out!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

old hooker wrote:

I am not Smith bashing because we are having a bad start to the season.I was amazed when we signed him, I did not rate him then and I said so.Of course he is not the only reason for our poor start to the season.Shocking discipline, a world class full back who appears not to want to play for us, a potentially top class winger who seems to be in Sydney already, no plan B to fall back on and the insistence on buying players who are cheap but certainly not Wigan class.IL and SW need to address the situation now before we find ourselves unable to achieve a top 4 place.
Why was you amazed when we signed him?
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

medlocke wrote:
old hooker wrote:

You dont know the answer to that after what I have said about him ?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

old hooker wrote:
medlocke wrote:
old hooker wrote:

You dont know the answer to that after what I have said about him ?
never mind, computer glich, never saw rest of your post for some reason