Deluded OR Dumb?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dobby

Re: Deluded OR Dumb?

Post by Dobby »

Top Cat wrote:I know i might get some flak but I think a lot of our players are not good enough.
This is a result of years of letting quality players go and replacing them with inferior players. Signings who people try to make out to be successes are average at best and are inferior to the players they are replacing. The policy that everyone is replaceable, no matter what, is plain stupidity and arrogance. This is shown up even more when the next generation like Burgess are leaving before they have even made it and our signings consist of players from London, Celtic Crusaders, Wakefield etc and has been from the NRL like Bowen and never beens like Gelling and Pettybourne.

The club can also hardly expect loyalty from players when it shows little the other way. I said some time ago that youngsters getting peanuts with promises of riches later will haunt us when the said riches never come and the next generation see players like Hansen, Goulding etc leaving (players what are like them 10 years down the line) because they can get way more elsewhere.

Similarly is the way we welcome back players with open arms, such as Mossop and Joel, when their new ventures dont work out just to prove a point that it is okay to let players go because they will come back. More nonsense. We shouldn't let players have that safety net and nearly every player that has left a club has come back a worse player.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
"We looked a real threat when we controlled the ball. The boys know what they are doing wrong, we've just not got the composure to fix it on the field."
ALWAYS THE PLAYERS fault because one trick pony send them out there with the perfect game plan.

McDermott has changed the way Leeds play based on the players he now has available and was able to beat us easily without 'Sir Kev'

Even Tony Smith is trying to make Wire better by looking at defence which is a huge shift for him.

WE HAVE, the numpty using borrowed ideas from Madge that he never understood and made them far worse.

Who would have thought a WIGANER would destroy Wigan!

I wish you would make your mind up. Most of the time its
all Wanes fault and then on another thread, its the fault of IL and KR.

Why don't you just accept that our squad with its lack of good and better players from down under and other clubs here here is the reason we are not doing well and has nothing whatsoever to do with any ideas of Madge.

If you have got a poor squad which many I and many other supporters are saying, the fault lies with whoever is doing the recruiting, which might be out of the coaches hands for all we know.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
"We looked a real threat when we controlled the ball. The boys know what they are doing wrong, we've just not got the composure to fix it on the field."
ALWAYS THE PLAYERS fault because one trick pony send them out there with the perfect game plan.

McDermott has changed the way Leeds play based on the players he now has available and was able to beat us easily without 'Sir Kev'

Even Tony Smith is trying to make Wire better by looking at defence which is a huge shift for him.

WE HAVE, the numpty using borrowed ideas from Madge that he never understood and made them far worse.

Why don't you just accept that our squad with its lack of good and better players from down under and other clubs here here is the reason we are not doing well and has nothing whatsoever to do with any ideas of Madge.

If you have got a poor squad which many I and many other supporters are saying, the fault lies with whoever is doing the recruiting, which might be out of the coaches hands for all we know.

The squad is not to blame, whatsmore Wane is responsible for a large proportion of those signings. Interesting how back in the day we could sign a McGinty, a Panapa, a Cowie, a Hall and they all came good. Likewise Saints seemed to be signing quality.

NEVERTHELESS the reality is this Madge brought systems of play and much more to Wigan, Wane took over and bit by bit he has destroyed those systems and cannot replace them because he does not know how to.

SO blame WANE!
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

cpwigan wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote: ALWAYS THE PLAYERS fault because one trick pony send them out there with the perfect game plan.

The squad is not to blame, whatsmore Wane is responsible for a large proportion of those signings. Interesting how back in the day we could sign a McGinty, a Panapa, a Cowie, a Hall and they all came good. Likewise Saints seemed to be signing quality.

NEVERTHELESS the reality is this Madge brought systems of play and much more to Wigan, Wane took over and bit by bit he has destroyed those systems and cannot replace them because he does not know how to.

SO blame WANE!
And you see this everyday in your job as assistant coach??
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think this is a really offensive thread title.
Just as we are rightly pulled up for personal abuse between posters, this level of abuse is unnecessary, uncalled for and unhelpful.

I have posted my views on Wane in the thread with the inoffensive title, but I can't see how the squad which were so nearly champions can be so readily dismissed on the back of changes in personnel that amount to losing Green (who wanted to go back to the NRL), and Taylor (who wanted to go back to Hull) and Pettybourne (whom no one is lamenting). I can't see how it can be rational to suggest that bringing back Mossop and Tomkins, and recruiting Tautai was insane business. Nor do I recall anyone saying so at the time. The only fault I can see was failing to sign an experienced 6, and backing Williams/Powell/Hampshire, but isn't it slightly early to be writing off tha strategy?

As for our team suddenly being vastly inferior to Leeds, Saints and Wire. Since when? Last autumn we were better than all of them. I can't understand this scaredy cat inferiority complex.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I think this is a really offensive thread title.
Just as we are rightly pulled up for personal abuse between posters, this level of abuse is unnecessary, uncalled for and unhelpful.

I have posted my views on Wane in the thread with the inoffensive title, but I can't see how the squad which were so nearly champions can be so readily dismissed on the back of changes in personnel that amount to losing Green (who wanted to go back to the NRL), and Taylor (who wanted to go back to Hull) and Pettybourne (whom no one is lamenting). I can't see how it can be rational to suggest that bringing back Mossop and Tomkins, and recruiting Tautai was insane business. Nor do I recall anyone saying so at the time. The only fault I can see was failing to sign an experienced 6, and backing Williams/Powell/Hampshire, but isn't it slightly early to be writing off tha strategy?

As for our team suddenly being vastly inferior to Leeds, Saints and Wire. Since when? Last autumn we were better than all of them. I can't understand this scaredy cat inferiority complex.
So it is okay for the Wigan coach to say publically on several occasions that our players are dumb but when somebody describe him as dumb then it is suddenly wrong.

I will do a deal with you Exile. If you can find your posts criticising Wane for repeatedly calling the players DUMB I will apologise. If not then you apologise to me :wink:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

BTW I think there is very little wrong with the players.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

So it is okay for the Wigan coach to say publically on several occasions that our players are dumb but when somebody describe him as dumb then it is suddenly wrong.

I will do a deal with you Exile. If you can find your posts criticising Wane for repeatedly calling the players DUMB I will apologise. If not then you apologise to me :wink:
I am not sure why I would need to apologise.
It's about a level of mutual respect. You can write - our tactics are dumb, or it is deluded to keep making the same mistakes again and again, then that's fair comment.
I can see why so many people cringe about much of what is attributed to Wane, but I attach absolutely no weight to it, so hardly ever read what he is quoted as saying.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:

Wow you have changed your tune in a matter of weeks!

When Budgie was leaving it was a case of "it doesnt matter we have lots of quality youngsters to step in"

Now the players are not good enough!

Which is it?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

East Stand Faithful wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote: ALWAYS THE PLAYERS fault because one trick pony send them out there with the perfect game plan.

Wow you have changed your tune in a matter of weeks!

When Budgie was leaving it was a case of "it doesnt matter we have lots of quality youngsters to step in"

Now the players are not good enough!

Which is it?
Not all the players, just a lack of better quality players from not only within our game, but especially from down under.

All very well producing your own quality players of which we have plenty, but you need good, better and more experienced players of International class for a better blend like Leeds, St Helens and Warrington have in their squads.

On another thread, others agreed with me.

Like I have said before, the problem lies rests with the recruitment of players from outside the club, especially the lack of quality from down under, illustrated by having only one Australian in the squad and he is at the end of his career.

As for Burgess, he should have been allowed to go straight
away to Australia as despite scoring a try nearly every game, his general play so far leaves a lot to be desired and is nothing like it was last season.