shaun wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: shaun wane

Post by thegimble »

slimshady wrote:
sc74 wrote:
slimshady wrote: In your dreams!!
Another quality, well educated response.
Is that you Shaun?
Ok you probably need me to explain, if we had a better squad than Cas, Widnes or Leeds we would have beaten them. All you armchair coaches will tell me its the "Waneball" effect but I'm not buying it. This squad is not good enough and Leneghans the problem, other clubs have out recruited us and he needs to put it right.
So are you saying that Cas have a better squad than us?

You have proved a point that you can not see anything that Wane does wrong.

whether its Waneball or Balls of fury the players we have are better than the one at Cas and should have beaten them easily. By your reaction you got to be related to Wane.

I am blaming both IL and Wane for where we are now. You also fail to see the point Wane should have controlling recruitment of what he wants so he also has a blame on that score as well.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

slimshady wrote:
sc74 wrote:
slimshady wrote: In your dreams!!
Another quality, well educated response.
Is that you Shaun?
Ok you probably need me to explain, if we had a better squad than Cas, Widnes or Leeds we would have beaten them. All you armchair coaches will tell me its the "Waneball" effect but I'm not buying it. This squad is not good enough and Leneghans the problem, other clubs have out recruited us and he needs to put it right.
Fair enough, now people understand why you don't agree.

It would appear to me that seeing as SW won the Double, with a side that let's face it, most coaches would have done the same, that he is untouchable.

Quick question, how long has he got left to bask in this glory, as most things in life, bar fine wines, precious stones and a few others, have a shelf-life.

And before I hear it again, Barry the Bin Man and Pete the Pie Man also no doubt bleed Cherry & White.

Basking on former glories, how very British :conf:
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

Madge learned from a great coach in craig bellamy where waney learned from madge. Madge was brought over to sort the the team out in terms of fitness and even though it was same team as noble had we had a far fitter team and bulked up a lot in pre season. Think waney should scrap going florida and take them to a military camp etc.
IN WANE WE TRUST
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

sc74 wrote:
slimshady wrote:
sc74 wrote: Another quality, well educated response.
Is that you Shaun?
Fair enough, now people understand why you don't agree.

It would appear to me that seeing as SW won the Double, with a side that let's face it, most coaches would have done the same, that he is untouchable.

Quick question, how long has he got left to bask in this glory, as most things in life, bar fine wines, precious stones and a few others, have a shelf-life.

And before I hear it again, Barry the Bin Man and Pete the Pie Man also no doubt bleed Cherry & White.

Basking on former glories, how very British :conf:
I'm not saying Waney is perfect and I'm not jumping on the "Waneball" theory. I think that we have probably overachieved with the playing staff we have, which is due to playing a system that teams are now getting better at defending. However that system when it works well is very difficult to stop. If we had the personel to work this we would be fantastic, but Leneghan doesnt want to spend to achieve. He wants to do it with homegrown talent to the detrement of the club. No CEO either over here or in Aus/Nz aspire to that except Leneghan. You get the best players you can afford. we have not recruited as well as other teams, because players know how Leneghan works(players talk) they know his agenda and thats why we dont get the best. Budgies going, Goulding left both for big money and Sarge is the next who is renegotiating so lets see if he stays or goes.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think we should change coaches at the end of the year, but it seems to me that Wane has been our second best coach in the SL era. His record speaks for itself.
He is not as good a coach as Maguire, but frankly who in the world is? We may as well criticise Mac for not being as good as Cameron Smith. When Madge left us after Wembley, having fixed himself up a great NRL job, what could we have asked for from the incoming coach? Silverware, finals, good recruitment and developing young players. If someone had only watched the game for the last month they might be able to conclude that Wane was hopeless, but happily it's possible to spend 5 minutes googling the results over the last 3 years, and seeing how they shape up to every other coach we have had.
I sometimes wonder whether some people believe that Madge is still responsible for every good move and Wane responsible for every dropped ball in every game we have played in the last 3 and a bit years. Even if Wane loses every game between now and the end of the season he will be able to look back with pride at his tenure. I hope that even his fiercest critics - some of whom will even stoop to personal abuse - will give him some credit for the trophies he has won, when they have been few and far between in the last 20 years.
Finally, the more I think about it, the more I wonder whether the biggest factors in both Madge's and Wane's successes were the superb conditioning for which Bitcon (recruited by I L, our much maligned Chairman) has been respnsible and Sam. He was a once in a generation player, incidentally developed by Wane, with whom we would be vastly stronger this year. Maybe one day he will be back to thrill us again.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Goulding left not for money, far from it.

slimshady

Post by slimshady »

cpwigan wrote:Goulding left not for money, far from it.
I know for a fact he got offered a lot of money, Leneghan wouldnt match it so he left, in any explanation thats leaving for money!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

slimshady wrote:
I know for a fact he got offered a lot of money, Leneghan wouldnt match it so he left, in any explanation thats leaving for money!
He did not even get an offer from Wigan Slim and that was not because Wigan would not offer him one but when they sat down he indicated he wanted to leave. No offer was ever made. Before Hull KR he had tested the Union market but there were no takers.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Recently watching the open training session with Souths it was quite obvious the difference in the approach to training between Wane and Madge. Madge was very vocal, high tempo and hands on. Wane watched his players go through their drills (taken by assistants) while he watched his players (taking mental notes on how each player is doing, I guess)
I am not saying either way is right or wrong, it was just an observation.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

cpwigan wrote:
slimshady wrote:
He did not even get an offer from Wigan Slim and that was not because Wigan would not offer him one but when they sat down he indicated he wanted to leave. No offer was ever made. Before Hull KR he had tested the Union market but there were no takers.
This is not true, sounds like PR from the club tbh to make it sound like he wanted out and that the club could do nothing about it.

He left because he was offered way more elsewhere than he was on at Wigan by more than one club, Hull KR offered a ridiculous amount that was way more than he ever earned at Wigan. The mere fact that he could have gone to Salford instead and still live at Wigan shows how much he has got to move to Hull. The way the club treated him also didn't help.