Quality of our youngsters

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Quality of our youngsters

Post by cpwigan »

Everybody knows my personal opinion that Wane is not good enough and/or that the senior players are not offering the leadership they should BUT

Never under estimate the quality of our youngsters. Hampshire & Williams are the most highly rated halfbacks in Britain. Wire threw heaps of money at Williams. Sutton was offered fantastic money by Sydney City. The majority of our youngsters are internationally capped etc etc.

I full understand that really youngsters should be blooded gradually and in a winning team BUT let nobody misunderstand. We have some fantastic youngsters.
menpond

Re: Quality of our youngsters

Post by menpond »

Couple of very promising half backs is thin gruel. Where are the props, second rows and centres? Are there any that should make the grade?Youth set up is a minor advantage and easy to overrate.Great coach is everything.
mp
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

menpond wrote:Couple of very promising half backs is thin gruel. Where are the props, second rows and centres? Are there any that should make the grade?Youth set up is a minor advantage and easy to overrate.Great coach is everything.
Go watch them and formulate your own opinion rather than knocking them when you haven't seen them play.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Here here I would love to see rocky given a chance at stand off.Shaun knocked him after the Giants game but I thought he added something different to the team especially considering he was picked last gap for George.Like yourself I think we've got some quality kids that need a chance and I'll support them all the way but the experienced players need a kick up the arse
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Cant understand why some say our youngsters are not good enough THEY SHOULD BE because some of these are taken at 15 from local clubs wigan are always in there 1st taking the good ones so if they are coached right whats happening to them
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

It would be nice to have a quality experienced half back like Barrett or Finch around to work with some of these lads someone whos really been there and done it
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Suzieb wrote:Cant understand why some say our youngsters are not good enough THEY SHOULD BE because some of these are taken at 15 from local clubs wigan are always in there 1st taking the good ones so if they are coached right whats happening to them
The NRL is littered with good quality youngsters, New Zealand Warriors played two centres at the weekend who have just turned 20. If you are good enough then you are old enough. Having said that you do need the right blend of youth and experience.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Unfortunately 2015 reminds me of 2006 when we had a lot of promising younger players such as Kev Brown but they were thrown into an under performing side very similar to how our current team is going now including one lacking leadership and direction and with a coach who didn't seem to know how to fix the problems.

So I fear for their future and in 2015 with all UK clubs able to spend to the salary cap I also fear they will just leave as Goulding did. No need to take a pay cut if you move away from Wigan these days.

As to the quality of the younger players some, as always, stand out as natural talents who you think are just bound to make it while others will at best be squad players and some will possibly not even end up with a career in RL.

Current young players who look the part to me are Burke, Williams, Sutton, Bateman (though obviously not from our academy), Budgie (but he is leaving) and Crosby (already established).

Hampshire in my view won't make it as a fullback but if he is given the 6 shirt would be on that list.

Others such as Powell, L Tomkins, Gelling and Tierney just don't look good enough to me at the moment.

Jury out on Thornely as well given injuries.

However regardless of the raw talent some of our young players have if they are mucked about and played out of position we won't see it realised in my opinion.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

There's a column in the trade press where Shaun Wane is quoted, rightly or wrongly, as saying he's not blown away with the way Hampshire and Tierney are playing at present.

I wonder exactly who Shaun is being "blown away" with by their performances this season?
We are seventh in SL and going down, scored 107 points in SL which is the lowest of any club.

If things don't improve and dramatically then come Good Friday we might hear the phrase "blown away" again one fears!
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

Wigan have the pick of the youngsters and have such a big advantage compared to most clubs.