Conmen in Wigan

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
RC

Conmen in Wigan

Post by RC »

Just a warning to everyone that you should not trust some of the 'Charity Workers' who go around Wigan. On my way back from College, I was stopped in the town centre.

Children with cancer, help the kids blah blah small donations for a leaflet.

I took a 5 pound note out my wallet, looking for coins, he snatches the note and says 'thank you' and tries to walk off. I pull him up, he has his back turned to me for a couple of seconds then he hands it me back. I go to Subway, they tell me the note is a fake. I know the note wasn't fake, because I had just been given it in change from Sports Direct, and being a former employee, I know how security is with fake notes, and my own observation; definatly real.

The note he had given me was an obvious fake, I felt so stupid for falling for it. I go back to where he was earlier and he had gone. Looked around for abit, couldn't find him. I had suspicions he was shady when he said that multiple people where handing out leaflets down the road, but when I was on my way down there wasn't a single 'Charity-Worker' in sight.

I admit my own stupidity cost me that money, but I just want to warn everyone on the forum to be cautious.
The booze hound

Re: Conmen in Wigan

Post by The booze hound »

Inform the police. There is plenty cameras around the area.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

The booze hound wrote:Inform the police. There is plenty cameras around the area.
From my experience Can't see The police looking back at camera's. On Friday I was travelling southbound on m6 just 400 yards before junction 27 a load of wooden debris came flying through the air shattering my windscreen and doing extensive damage to my car and covering myself and wife in glass splinters. That bad that insurance assessor came yesterday and said un drivable and took it away. I reported to police and asked if the camera's that are on bridge and all along that stretch could be checked for who was responsible for the unsafe load as this could not only have killed me and my wife but many more when I could not see where I was and veering across lanes as I was in 3rd lane at time doing 70mph. The response I received from police is because I did not see what vehicle it came from nothing could be done and I did not even need to report it. Seems this person will get away with dangerous loads and could do same again. I can only hope to God that does not happen. The police don't seem to want to help stop it. And to top it all MY insurance will have to stump up. :(
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Last week I had four of those 'clothing collection bags' thro' the letter box, all at night and three of the four from the same 'charity'. They all go in the bin because if they're a bone fide charity, they'll knock on the door at a respectable time and show some identification. Also, if these people are delivering in the dark, they're rooting around the back of houses looking for anything attractive, bikes, garden implements etc. As a charitable nation, we're individually being used and therefore in the long run, genuine charities suffer financially.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

bill.inger wrote:Last week I had four of those 'clothing collection bags' thro' the letter box, all at night and three of the four from the same 'charity'. They all go in the bin because if they're a bone fide charity, they'll knock on the door at a respectable time and show some identification. Also, if these people are delivering in the dark, they're rooting around the back of houses looking for anything attractive, bikes, garden implements etc. As a charitable nation, we're individually being used and therefore in the long run, genuine charities suffer financially.

could be the Rumanians
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

bill.inger wrote:Last week I had four of those 'clothing collection bags' thro' the letter box, all at night and three of the four from the same 'charity'. They all go in the bin because if they're a bone fide charity, they'll knock on the door at a respectable time and show some identification. Also, if these people are delivering in the dark, they're rooting around the back of houses looking for anything attractive, bikes, garden implements etc. As a charitable nation, we're individually being used and therefore in the long run, genuine charities suffer financially.
Bill, don't bin those bags. They make excellent swing bin/pedal bin liners!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Bill, don't bin those bags. They make excellent swing bin/pedal bin liners!
They sure do!
gruffy

Post by gruffy »

Aye they do had them a few times down here in Skem saves going to aldi for new ones.