We Need our Fans more than ever - Wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
doc

Re: We Need our Fans more than ever - Wane

Post by doc »

We are over reliant on the centres/wingers to get out of our own half which looks to be the game plan. If the props don't get given the ball from the hooker to make the carries, as the stats suggests, then that is either the game plan or the hookers fault for selecting the wrong pass to his runners, not the props. The guys are making the runs but not getting the ball as often as they should.

Another thing that has struck me this season is that we are not using as many dummy runners. It looks like Wane has changed our attack due to the ridiculous interpretations of the obstruction rule last season only for the RFL to move the goalposts and let more stuff go this year.

Revert to Maguire's game plan and we will do the business but I can't see Wane doing this until all else fails,

The other factor is that we have lost quite a few backroom staff over the last year (assistant coach, conditioner, physio, stats man). Maybe this has had a disrupting affect on the team as well. The crappy team dynamics management courses I have had to suffer say that when you alter a team it can take up to 6 months to return to normal when a member of a team is changed. It is up to the management to try and speed up the return to the status quo. Although Wane can be blamed for any changes to the playing staff he cannot be blamed for changes to the backroom staff.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

doc wrote:We are over reliant on the centres/wingers to get out of our own half which looks to be the game plan. If the props don't get given the ball from the hooker to make the carries, as the stats suggests, then that is either the game plan or the hookers fault for selecting the wrong pass to his runners, not the props. The guys are making the runs but not getting the ball as often as they should.

Another thing that has struck me this season is that we are not using as many dummy runners. It looks like Wane has changed our attack due to the ridiculous interpretations of the obstruction rule last season only for the RFL to move the goalposts and let more stuff go this year.
A couple of astute observations there though with the first I can't believe wrong pass selection would not have been dealt with by now so it looks deliberate to me having the wingers make the yards in our own half.

Regarding the dummy runners Wane did say he was going to change things for this season but I have no idea if the obstruction rule is why. There is certainly a change with, as you say, fewer dummy runners so the plays are much easier to read for the opposing team.

So doesn't that suggest that there should have been a bigger revision of the tactics other than just fewer dummy runners, particularly when this makes things so predictable?
The other factor is that we have lost quite a few backroom staff over the last year (assistant coach, conditioner, physio, stats man). Maybe this has had a disrupting affect on the team as well. The crappy team dynamics management courses I have had to suffer say that when you alter a team it can take up to 6 months to return to normal when a member of a team is changed. It is up to the management to try and speed up the return to the status quo. Although Wane can be blamed for any changes to the playing staff he cannot be blamed for changes to the backroom staff.
Well if Wane can't be blamed for back room staff turnover (assuming he didn't annoy the staff so they left...) doesn't that implicate IL?

He is a businessman who has run an IT company so if you have been on courses that say what you say above IL is probably the guy who would be sending his staff on similar courses. He as a businessman ought to know the consequences of a high turnover of staff.

If you think about it he also ought to know the fact we have virtually a new team every season is not a good thing either never mind whatever has gone on regarding the back room staff.
markill

Post by markill »

DaveO wrote:
doc wrote:We are over reliant on the centres/wingers to get out of our own half which looks to be the game plan. If the props don't get given the ball from the hooker to make the carries, as the stats suggests, then that is either the game plan or the hookers fault for selecting the wrong pass to his runners, not the props. The guys are making the runs but not getting the ball as often as they should.

A couple of astute observations there though with the first I can't believe wrong pass selection would not have been dealt with by now so it looks deliberate to me having the wingers make the yards in our own half.

Regarding the dummy runners Wane did say he was going to change things for this season but I have no idea if the obstruction rule is why. There is certainly a change with, as you say, fewer dummy runners so the plays are much easier to read for the opposing team.

So doesn't that suggest that there should have been a bigger revision of the tactics other than just fewer dummy runners, particularly when this makes things so predictable?
I think one of the reasons for fewer dummy runners is Lockers being out. With Lockers in you'd get four ball players if you include the full back. With Lockers out you have three. The dummy runners tend to be to distract defenders to give ball players more time. I suppose you also can credit defences for reading plays a little better. I'm surprised though that we don't see more of what Williams did for Burgess on Friday as part of defences reading the plays has been crashing in on the full back or centre. It leaves space for the kick to the winger, which then will open up space for other players as the defence hangs off.

One wrinkle to our attack that has worked a couple of times of is sending two forward runners off Smith to his outside. Instead of the third man play to Bowen it means defenders have to slide in on a bigger man and still make the wrong read possible. Bateman and Joel T have both scored tries from it in our home games.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Watch the Rabbitohs and learn
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

cpwigan wrote:Watch the Rabbitohs and learn
Can't to upsetting lightyears behind :(
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Help Get the DW Rocking

Following Shaun Wane's call to get the DW Stadium rocking again, Wigan fans are being invited to a meeting to discuss improving the atmosphere at home games.

Lead by Marketing Executive Paul Macleod, the meeting will look at ways the club can work with fans to create an "improved atmosphere" at the DW Stadium.

Speaking on the idea, Paul said: "The atmosphere at a home game is important for any team, it can really lift the players and help motivate them.

"Shaun Wane admitted the other day that the team haven't given the fans much to shout about so far this season but as fans now is the time for us to really get behind the team.

"I think we can all agree that a vibrant support from the fans helps improve gameday for both the players and fans and hopefully we can work together to get the DW rocking again."

Any fans wishing to actively get involved with improving the atmosphere (singing/chanting) at home games are welcome to attend a meeting at CWM FX Central Park at 7pm tomorrow evening (Thursday 26th March).

Fans interested in attending the meeting or with any thoughts and ideas on improving atmosphere are asked to email Paul Macleod: p.macleod@wiganwarriors.com

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... esei0iV.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Read this a few times and have come to the conclusion that his comments are meant to hide the problems. Seen similar sort of scenario before with my football team and it usually ends in tears.
He's in a hole and doesn't know how to get out!
He really needs to step up his game, and he knows it!!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield