Is it Ben flowers fault

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The booze hound

Re: Is it Ben flowers fault

Post by The booze hound »

Kaii wrote:He was lucky he wasn't sacked imo, i still expect him to leave at the end of the season. I said back then this wasn't over
He's done the crime and almost served his time. Can it not be left alone now?
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Kaii wrote:He was lucky he wasn't sacked imo, i still expect him to leave at the end of the season. I said back then this wasn't over
Sacked for a punch? There wouldbe no RL players left if that was the case!! I mean certain players have not been sacked after much worse!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Sacked for a punch? There wouldbe no RL players left if that was the case!! I mean certain players have not been sacked after much worse!!
Sacked for the second punch, yes ofc it's still a work place. Punch someone at work and see how long you last in that job. Rugby isn't a free licence to punch someone if you aren't happy.
A punch ok, two players slugging it out a ban incoming but expected sometimes then punching a defenceless man on the floor... Totally unacceptable this wasn't a Westwood sly jab in the face it was an assault plain and simple.

As someone mentioned he's almost done his time so hopefully he's learnt his lesson but the club were well in their rights to sack him.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Kaii wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Sacked for the second punch, yes ofc it's still a work place. Punch someone at work and see how long you last in that job. Rugby isn't a free licence to punch someone if you aren't happy.
Totally unacceptable this wasn't a Westwood sly jab in the face it was an assault plain and simple.
Is a sly punch not an assault? Would a sly punch in your workplace not result in a sacking? Would forearm smashing someone in your workplace not result in a sacking? The average workplace is not comparable to these situations..
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

I I already said certain things are accepted in rugby but not what Ben did, Ben hit someone lying on the floor knocked out and defenceless. If you can justify that in any way your moral compass is warped
TrueBlueWarrior

Kaii wrote:I I already said certain things are accepted in rugby but not what Ben did, Ben hit someone lying on the floor knocked out and defenceless. If you can justify that in any way your moral compass is warped
So was Green not lying on the floor defenceless when Westwood punched him? Was Flower not facing the wrong way and defenceless when LH forearm smashed him?

This comparison to a 'normal' workplace is ridiculous because a sporting field is not a 'normal' workplace!!

Sorry Kaii but you are completely wrong in my opinion, however I am not condoning the 2nd punch from Flower in any way!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Kaii wrote:I I already said certain things are accepted in rugby but not what Ben did, Ben hit someone lying on the floor knocked out and defenceless. If you can justify that in any way your moral compass is warped
So was Green not lying on the floor defenceless when Westwood punched him? Was Flower not facing the wrong way and defenceless when LH forearm smashed him?

This comparison to a 'normal' workplace is ridiculous because a sporting field is not a 'normal' workplace!!

Sorry Kaii but you are completely wrong in my opinion, however I am not condoning the 2nd punch from Flower in any way!!
It's old news now but Westwood was required to play in International matches so was given a pathetically light sentence. It sums up everything that is wrong in RL. Hohaia should have had a lengthier ban as well but nothing excuses Flower's loss of control. I expect the rest of his career to be exemplary and that he will be an invaluable player for us. He has real talent.
TrueBlueWarrior

Southern Softy wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

It's old news now but Westwood was required to play in International matches so was given a pathetically light sentence. It sums up everything that is wrong in RL. Hohaia should have had a lengthier ban as well but nothing excuses Flower's loss of control. I expect the rest of his career to be exemplary and that he will be an invaluable player for us. He has real talent.
Totally agree SS!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kaii but you are part of the problem here and the reason why Flower was so poorly treated by the club. The second less than full blooded punch whilst distasteful was heat of the moment with significant mitigating factors. It was not sackable in the environment is happened. You cannot compare a sportsfield environment with a bog standard workplace environment. Players have done far worse and will do far worse thereafter. I said at the time nothing will be achieved from the kangaroo court and it has been proven correct. Green of Hull KR was guilty of a far nastier damaging challenge this week but watch what has not / will not happen.

BTW, An excellent lawyer would actually hold Wigan RLFC / Wane responsible for inciting foul play / violence before the game had even kicked off. IL deserves to be held accountable for sacrificing his own player for the most ludicrous assumption that he has a 'special relationship' with the St Helens owner / club.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:Kaii but you are part of the problem here and the reason why Flower was so poorly treated by the club. The second less than full blooded punch whilst distasteful was heat of the moment with significant mitigating factors. It was not sackable in the environment is happened. You cannot compare a sportsfield environment with a bog standard workplace environment. Players have done far worse and will do far worse thereafter. I said at the time nothing will be achieved from the kangaroo court and it has been proven correct. Green of Hull KR was guilty of a far nastier damaging challenge this week but watch what has not / will not happen.

BTW, An excellent lawyer would actually hold Wigan RLFC / Wane responsible for inciting foul play / violence before the game had even kicked off. IL deserves to be held accountable for sacrificing his own player for the most ludicrous assumption that he has a 'special relationship' with the St Helens owner / club.
I think you need to be a bit more careful yourself with some of your comments as you may find yourself needing a good Solicitor!