League tables do not lie

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: League tables do not lie

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We will certainly know a lot more about the state of the nation after the next 4 games. Though if we are the third, presumably that will have to be dismissed by the most vocal critics as a damning indictment of the state of SL rather than a decent enough position.
In completed seasons thus far, Wane has taken us to 1st, 4th and 2nd. If the league table does not lie, then we must have a good coach with a strong track record?
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:We will certainly know a lot more about the state of the nation after the next 4 games. Though if we are the third, presumably that will have to be dismissed by the most vocal critics as a damning indictment of the state of SL rather than a decent enough position.
In completed seasons thus far, Wane has taken us to 1st, 4th and 2nd. If the league table does not lie, then we must have a good coach with a strong track record?

Hard to argue with those facts. But would like to think I could get the team to finish in top 4 with the players he had at his disposal.Especialy as top four up to this season was not that important.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:We will certainly know a lot more about the state of the nation after the next 4 games. Though if we are the third, presumably that will have to be dismissed by the most vocal critics as a damning indictment of the state of SL rather than a decent enough position.
SL reminds me of the 2 seasons when we switched from winter to summer RL. All that matters is winning the CC and/or the SL GF. If we fail to achieve either then that will be two successive seasons without success. Personally, I think with our squad we should win either the CC or GF every season.
jobo

Post by jobo »

I'd say a mark of success is getting to either one of the finals, or a top 2 finish.

Anything can happen at the actual final so winning it for me is, although the aim, problematical.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

jobo wrote:I'd say a mark of success is getting to either one of the finals, or a top 2 finish.

Anything can happen at the actual final so winning it for me is, although the aim, problematical.
Tell that to the great wigan teams and players of the past. Your comment smacks of losers not winners and the only time I heard or witnesses such a reaction from wiganers was the 1984 cc final v widnes.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Back on topic. Let's have a look how the table looks after 11 rounds when all the teams have played each other once. That should be a better indication of how we are going.
jobo

Post by jobo »

cpwigan wrote:
jobo wrote:I'd say a mark of success is getting to either one of the finals, or a top 2 finish.

Tell that to the great wigan teams and players of the past. Your comment smacks of losers not winners and the only time I heard or witnesses such a reaction from wiganers was the 1984 cc final v widnes.
We aren't a great side though are we? The way SL has evolved since the salary cap and summer rugby was guaranteed eventually to dumb things down to a mediocrity rules type of level, so I'd say my comments are realistic. As for the 1984 final, in truth, we were in transition and just getting to Wembley, after so many years away was a massive achievement. Think it was after that game when Mo swore he'd have the best players, including Lydon and Gregs at Wigan no matter the cost.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

jobo wrote:
cpwigan wrote:

We aren't a great side though are we? The way SL has evolved since the salary cap and summer rugby was guaranteed eventually to dumb things down to a mediocrity rules type of level, so I'd say my comments are realistic. As for the 1984 final, in truth, we were in transition and just getting to Wembley, after so many years away was a massive achievement. Think it was after that game when Mo swore he'd have the best players, including Lydon and Gregs at Wigan no matter the cost.
That is the whole point though Jobo we were just happy to make it/make up the numbers. Wigan, whatever great era is not about that; it is about winning the biggest prizes.

Yes SL is at a low ebb in some respects standard wise but that should benefit ourselves as we have the best picking of youth talent. The arrival of Madge saw Wigan enter another halcyon era ot at least it was set up to be so and anything less is failure. Accepting 2nd best / mediocrity is not what Wigan RLFC is about, it never was and every time we fell below the expected standard, the then custodians failed and betrayed their heritage.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Someone tell me how the hell are we 3rd after the way we have been playing.

Is SL that poor
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Everyone is beating everyone else.

Unfortunately there are two teams that looks ilke being cut adrift at the bottom and two away at the top. In the middle ground there is really nothing to pick.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆