Winstanley

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
x Wigan Warrior x

Re: Winstanley

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

Lived in Hawkley / Winstanley most of my life and its a great area. Moved to Orrell now and i love it there, village life :lol: Don't buy a new build in Highfield area nr Winstanley as you will have a bypass running past your house in the coming years though
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
endoman

Post by endoman »

cpwigan wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Well I think you would be in the catchment area of Hawkley Hall High School which is an OUTSTANDING school. You obviously have the OUTSTANDING Winstanley College too.

Nicer place than Golborne/Lowton IMO. I think Winstanley depending on which part was historically an area many from Merseyside migrated to.
I went to Preston College and we thought our College Football Team was OUTSTANDING........then we played Winstanley in the quarters of the Nationals.......the rest is history as they say!!

Ps We actually were a very very good side!!
Don't worry they were not always particularly good. I played for Winstanley XI from lower 6th onwards and captained them in upper 6th until I got sent off in a Winstanley 5 a Side tournament, which says a lot! It was far more comprehensive then but now it is truly an elite academic institution that only accepts the very best students and it has a regional, possibly even wider reputation for excellence. Back in my day they even ran certificate of pre vocational education courses for people who 'failed' their O'Levels / GCSE's and/or were below A-Level standard. One Steve Ganson was on the C.P.V.E course! I played against Dennis Betts who was at Xaverian, Salford and they at the time had an excellent team. Dennis was a very talented player albeit I think he made the right choice with rugby league.

The quality of education in Wigan is excellent. Hawkley Hall is fantastic in terms of 'where it came from and how good it became' Edmund Arrowsmith has been the most consistent albeit in recent times so has St Peters. St Peters is excellent for rugby league in recent years.
Played Winstanley at Union once, ( we got battered) I bit off the end of my tongue, 12 stitches to re attach, then went to watch Swinton V Wigan and they all came out, so ended up in Billinge Hospital having them re done. My Grandad lived in old Winstanley , mum was born on Billinge Road in Pem, Dad taught at Highfield, mum at Lamberhead Green. Tis a decent area.
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Jump in your car and rattle round Billinge for an hour or so. There's lots of desirable properties on the market and some new developments under construction.
Access to schools is excellent, Winstanley and UpHolland come highly rated and the roads are relatively traffic free most of the day.
Access to the A580 and M6 is a couple of minutes away, it's quiet, very rural and jumping with Stains fans to argue with.....Love it.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

bill.inger wrote:Jump in your car and rattle round Billinge for an hour or so. There's lots of desirable properties on the market and some new developments under construction.
Access to schools is excellent, Winstanley and UpHolland come highly rated and the roads are relatively traffic free most of the day.
Access to the A580 and M6 is a couple of minutes away, it's quiet, very rural and jumping with Stains fans to argue with.....Love it.
That alone is tempting me to move :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mase

Post by Mase »

Just seen the plans for Pemberton Business Park and how close they will be to the new housing and its put us off I think. Massive industrial warehouses overlooking your house :conf:

We're still keen on Winstanley though so hopefully something comes up soon.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Mase wrote:Just seen the plans for Pemberton Business Park and how close they will be to the new housing and its put us off I think. Massive industrial warehouses overlooking your house :conf:

Be patient you will find what you are looking for. Re New Builds, get the most you can from the agent/salesperson in terms of freebies / % off etc.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Mase, have a wander around orrell and billinge they are both great areas and only a stones throw away from winstanley.
Mase

Post by Mase »

cpwigan wrote:
Mase wrote:Just seen the plans for Pemberton Business Park and how close they will be to the new housing and its put us off I think. Massive industrial warehouses overlooking your house :conf:

Be patient you will find what you are looking for. Re New Builds, get the most you can from the agent/salesperson in terms of freebies / % off etc.
Thanks for the advice. The new build stuff is all new to us so we weren't sure if we could haggle on price but a few people have mentioned to just try and get as many freebies thrown in as possible. We'll see what he says tomorrow.
Mase

Post by Mase »

Wes wrote:Mase, have a wander around orrell and billinge they are both great areas and only a stones throw away from winstanley.
They've bother been recently recommended to us so we're going to have a drive around the areas this weekend. Is there anywhere to avoid within the two locations?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Mase wrote:
Wes wrote:Mase, have a wander around orrell and billinge they are both great areas and only a stones throw away from winstanley.
They've bother been recently recommended to us so we're going to have a drive around the areas this weekend. Is there anywhere to avoid within the two locations?
Nothing to be too concerned about. Just stay to the Orrell side of Billinge! :lol: