Charnley to centre!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Charnley to centre!

Post by Caboosegg »

Just no.
Josh's only issue has been the lack of ball. At the start of the season everything seemed to end up on budgies side. This has balanced out.

I would like to see Charnley and Manfredi given a chance to play same the match over budgie (not because I dislike budgie but surely they are our wingers next season)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:We need to sign a centre not a winger when Budgie goes because Josh and Dom should be wingers!!
I agree.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Manfriedi and charnley would make a good team gelling not good enough wants a ball to himself not a team player
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:Just no.
Josh's only issue has been the lack of ball. At the start of the season everything seemed to end up on budgies side. This has balanced out.
Manfredi doesn't get any more ball than Josh does. The problem is the centre not the direction of play.
I would like to see Charnley and Manfredi given a chance to play same the match over budgie (not because I dislike budgie but surely they are our wingers next season)
Don't agree with that. Our best two wingers are Josh and Budgie. Would you have dropped Pat Richards because you wanted to see how well Budgie went?

Josh at centre is a potential solution to a problem we have this season. I think for that reason it is worth a try.

I am assuming of course we recruit a centre for 2016 or the likes of Gildart are ready to take over when I say it's a problem for this season.
menpond

Post by menpond »

There are nt the players to bring through. We have to go and find them.
mp
BriH

Post by BriH »

cpwigan wrote:IMO watching today the biggest improvement we can make to the team is to play Josh at centre, leave Manfredi on the wing and drop Gelling who IMO is not good enough.

I would then look for a winger to replace Budgie next season. Carney? or someone from the NRL.
I would leave things as they are but have Manfredi come inside Gelling a lot more.
Very difficult, of course, when you have 2 wingers competing for 1 shirt.
Josh at centre?? Not sure.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

maybe we could also move rocky and williams into the halfs, move smith to fullback, Gelling to 2nd row and see how that would pan out
doc

Post by doc »

None of our wingers read when they should come inside their centre very well. The amount of times they get run in to touch rather than coming inside and looking for an inside ball from the centre is ridiculous.

Defending teams know we are going to pass the ball out to the wing and drift over compressing the space our wingers have to play in. The winger coming inside against the drift would wrong foot them and also put that bit of doubt in the minds of the defence when we do throw it out to the wing.
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

medlocke wrote:maybe we could also move rocky and williams into the halfs, move smith to fullback, Gelling to 2nd row and see how that would pan out

That's the last sort of suggestion I expected from you Meds. Has Ah Van run his course now? Come on lad, we were all waiting for that on a winger/centre topic.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

bill.inger wrote:
medlocke wrote:maybe we could also move rocky and williams into the halfs, move smith to fullback, Gelling to 2nd row and see how that would pan out

That's the last sort of suggestion I expected from you Meds. Has Ah Van run his course now? Come on lad, we were all waiting for that on a winger/centre topic.
Yes, Manfredi has shown he is good enough and Rocky kicks goals (not sure how good though), i still think Ah Van could of done us a turn in the short term but no need now that Wane has seen the light, lets hope he keeps both playing for a good while