Charnley to centre!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Charnley to centre!

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:Just no.
Josh's only issue has been the lack of ball. At the start of the season everything seemed to end up on budgies side. This has balanced out.
Manfredi doesn't get any more ball than Josh does. The problem is the centre not the direction of play.
I would like to see Charnley and Manfredi given a chance to play same the match over budgie (not because I dislike budgie but surely they are our wingers next season)
Don't agree with that. Our best two wingers are Josh and Budgie. Would you have dropped Pat Richards because you wanted to see how well Budgie went?

Josh at centre is a potential solution to a problem we have this season. I think for that reason it is worth a try.

I am assuming of course we recruit a centre for 2016 or the likes of Gildart are ready to take over when I say it's a problem for this season.
id have to disagree on Manfredi not getting more ball than Josh, until recently most of out plays were ending one way towards budgies wing, you could sometime see the frustration from josh when smith kicked that side.

on playing Josh and Manfredi, i have nothing against Burgess, my opinion on dropping him is not because hes going but more:

Josh has earned his place in the team, hes had a bit of bad form but so has everyone, he still provides a very real threat and bar against castleford is hard working.

Manfredi has barely put a foot wrong in his appearances so far, one or two errors but nothing major.

Budgie on the other hand has been 50/50 for every bit of class he has shown he has made a equally costly error. Bowen seems to have been dropped when he has been playing 50/50.

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

doc wrote:None of our wingers read when they should come inside their centre very well. The amount of times they get run in to touch rather than coming inside and looking for an inside ball from the centre is ridiculous.

Defending teams know we are going to pass the ball out to the wing and drift over compressing the space our wingers have to play in. The winger coming inside against the drift would wrong foot them and also put that bit of doubt in the minds of the defence when we do throw it out to the wing.
I disagree, good centres straighten the line and give good early ball to their wingers - neither of our guys do that. We have three of the best finishers in the game in Charnley, Manfredi and Budgie but the service to them is awful.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We need to plug a gap short-term. Charnley would be my option until Thornley returns. Gelling should be nowhere near this team unless he plays in the forwards. Yeaman from Hull may be a good loan.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:We need to plug a gap short-term. Charnley would be my option until Thornley returns. Gelling should be nowhere near this team unless he plays in the forwards. Yeaman from Hull may be a good loan.
Thornley is nowhere near as good as Gelling, Gelling was superb come the business end of last season and will come good again
robspark

Post by robspark »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
doc wrote:None of our wingers read when they should come inside their centre very well. The amount of times they get run in to touch rather than coming inside and looking for an inside ball from the centre is ridiculous.

Defending teams know we are going to pass the ball out to the wing and drift over compressing the space our wingers have to play in. The winger coming inside against the drift would wrong foot them and also put that bit of doubt in the minds of the defence when we do throw it out to the wing.
I disagree, good centres straighten the line and give good early ball to their wingers - neither of our guys do that. We have three of the best finishers in the game in Charnley, Manfredi and Budgie but the service to them is awful.
Totally agree with this Sarginson breaking at right centre yesterday was a perfect example instead of straightening play and holding the defence he continued to drift right taking Manfedi's space and by the time did offload Saints defence were set and Manfredi had no options.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

cpwigan wrote:IMO watching today the biggest improvement we can make to the team is to play Josh at centre, leave Manfredi on the wing and drop Gelling who IMO is not good enough.

I would then look for a winger to replace Budgie next season. Carney? or someone from the NRL.
It is worth a try. Would be a crying shame upon Charnley's return for Manfredi to be dropped for no other reason.

Some real calls to make regards players positions though. Does Bowen return and if so at full back. Is Hampshire now "fixed" for full back only this season. Will Wane prefer to play Joel or Bateman in the centres upon Lockers return rather than your suggestion - lots of conundrums and no idea which side will be picked in the coming weeks
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I honestly think we miss Blake green and Sam Tomkins really bad.green was the team organiser and Tomkins link especially from left to right was phenomenal.in rugby it's so much harder to attack from left to right as most players are right handed and can only pass one way with good passes.itsalso harder to defend this side( which made wigan hard to stop) haven't had a link with Bowen this season and Williams is more of a runner than a ball player.the balance is pretty bad so we expect our centres to create( which they don't). I think sarge would flourish more at right centre given his step and Thornley will massively improve our attacking options.rocky does the link well and is getting there.keep him there, release Bowen and sign a link player I think.either stand off or fullback preferably but also a centre.i like warden and think he would shine for us.its hard for Shaun wane to admit he's wrong by doing the above but who gives a damn.he knows it's the right thing to do as we haven't made a massive signing for a couple of years
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Sorry that's wardle at centre lol
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
superleague

Post by superleague »

Firestarter wrote:I honestly think we miss Blake green and Sam Tomkins really bad.green was the team organiser and Tomkins link especially from left to right was phenomenal.in rugby it's so much harder to attack from left to right as most players are right handed and can only pass one way with good passes.itsalso harder to defend this side( which made wigan hard to stop) haven't had a link with Bowen this season and Williams is more of a runner than a ball player.the balance is pretty bad so we expect our centres to create( which they don't). I think sarge would flourish more at right centre given his step and Thornley will massively improve our attacking options.rocky does the link well and is getting there.keep him there, release Bowen and sign a link player I think.either stand off or fullback preferably but also a centre.i like warden and think he would shine for us.its hard for Shaun wane to admit he's wrong by doing the above but who gives a damn.he knows it's the right thing to do as we haven't made a massive signing for a couple of years
I know what your saying re: Wane, although that's never going to happen as he genuinely believes this team can win trophies, that's seriously deluded IMO as the team is seriously lacking in areas ie the halves, centres and the forwards. The team needs experience and quality but with IL in charge I can't see the cheque book coming out anytime soon.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Our wingers get crowded out by their sided 2nd row and centre. Last year it was Sarge who got the blame when Faz was running so wide he took up the centre and even sometimes the wing slot. They corrected that giving Sargy room and he was excellent.
This year we have Joel doing exactly what Faz did last year, same result on opposite wing.

We are also missing Lockers. When we go wide the passes are man to man to man to man. Can't remember the last cut out pass. Lockers makes numerous cut out passes to centres and wingmen leaving space which they take full advantage of and score. Budgies try v Wire in the play off was from a Lockers cut out pass.

Don't know how long Lockers will be out for but we need him back and soon.