Dom Manfredi New Contract

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kaii

Re: Dom Manfredi New Contract

Post by Kaii »

DaveO wrote:
Kaii wrote:IMO the longer contract is to stop another Joe Burgess incident
How do you mean? JB had a three year contract IIRC. How does an extras 12 months make a difference if they want to leave at the end of it?
Wasn't the Roosters deal set to start once his Wigan one ran out? Might be wrong but i though he never re-signed so he'd be free to leave.

My point is the longer the contract the higher the value, asking a young player to wait a season to sign is ok but two/three years isn't happening so you'd have to pay a fee
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kaii wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Kaii wrote:IMO the longer contract is to stop another Joe Burgess incident
How do you mean? JB had a three year contract IIRC. How does an extras 12 months make a difference if they want to leave at the end of it?
Wasn't the Roosters deal set to start once his Wigan one ran out? Might be wrong but i though he never re-signed so he'd be free to leave.
Yes but that is how contracts work. JB has not tried to get out of his contract early and will see it out. When it is finished he is off the Roosters.

So when you say "...to stop another Joe Burgess incident" I don't understand what you mean.
My point is the longer the contract the higher the value, asking a young player to wait a season to sign is ok but two/three years isn't happening so you'd have to pay a fee
Well clearly DM has a four year contract but the club didn't get JB on a similar one despite his previous one running out soon. So given his current deal ends at the end of this season he's a free agent.

Isn't that all there is to it? JB is a free agent and has decided to leave as could any out of contract player?
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

Tbh the Joe Burgess situation was unexpected, no one knew he'd slip in to Pat's position with such ease. The Roosters were lightening fast to reach an agreement, I doubt we'll get caught out like that again so players like Dom get longer contracts as soon as they impress in the first team.
We were told at a Riversiders meeting after our WCC that Joe & Sam Powell were closely watched and we'd have a hard time keeping them.

With all things Wigan though contracts seem to be pretty worthless
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

Great news, really impressed with Dom and he seems to have all the attributes to become a great winger.
Speed, strength and finishing ability.
gruffy

Post by gruffy »

It is of course always a gamble when you give a youngster a longterm contract but young Dom looks a sound prospect.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Kaii wrote:Tbh the Joe Burgess situation was unexpected, no one knew he'd slip in to Pat's position with such ease. The Roosters were lightening fast to reach an agreement, I doubt we'll get caught out like that again so players like Dom get longer contracts as soon as they impress in the first team.
We were told at a Riversiders meeting after our WCC that Joe & Sam Powell were closely watched and we'd have a hard time keeping them.

With all things Wigan though contracts seem to be pretty worthless
When the Roosters came calling Wigan still had a chance to re-sign Joe, unfortunately we would not pay what the lad was looking for, which incidentally was less than what the Roosters offered! Sutty decided to accept an offer lower than what the Aussies put on the table.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

The Eclipse wrote:Great news, really impressed with Dom and he seems to have all the attributes to become a great winger.
Speed, strength and finishing ability.
Would like to see Dom 5yds faster whilst maintaining his bulk, Swift looked faster than Dom on Friday yet Swift couldn't make a yard on Albert Kelly the week previous.
I remember when Jonathan Davies signed for Widnes, Dougie Laughton put over half a stone on him plus 5yds of pace.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

medlocke wrote:Good news, but would be more excited if it was 2 years, long contracts give me the feeling that IL is thinking of offloading so far down the line so he can make a nice fat transfer fee for the remaining time left on the contract
He already had a two year contract, this is just a further two years with a salary increase.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Excellent news I just hope he is played as a right winger rather than a left winger.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

medlocke wrote:Good news, but would be more excited if it was 2 years, long contracts give me the feeling that IL is thinking of offloading so far down the line so he can make a nice fat transfer fee for the remaining time left on the contract
My feeling exactly.????
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.