Todays game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
OJ

Re: Todays game

Post by OJ »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:It was always going to be difficult today following the graft needed to win Friday's game. We have a number of key players missing and when you are trying to back up you need the majority of your top pros out there, Salford were fortunate enough to have almost their full team available. Having said that, some guys need to step up to the mark. In hindsight we may have been better advised to pick some fresh bodies in the pack e.g. Greenwood and Crosby.

What is for sure, if we want to win trophies then we are going to have to sort out our away form.
Very true, lot of teams struggled today and a game with the intensity of ours against Saints was always going to be difficult to back up to the same level but as you say we also should have enough talent in our squad to be able to mix and match for such occasions.

Reality is that even after all that has happened so far this season there are only 8 points separating Saints in 2nd place and Wakefield in 12th so all is not lost yet
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

sc74

Post by sc74 »

Except pride, a lot of that has been lost.
Who'd have thought.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:n hindsight we may have been better advised to pick some fresh bodies in the pack e.g. Greenwood and Crosby.
In the program for the Saints game Wane was saying we have a big squad when discussing the short turnaround over Easter and how other cubs should do as Wigan do and get a bigger squad to cope.

So Wane had the foresight to mention this and what hindsight tells us is he was too stupid to take advantage of the very thing he was going on about himself, our large squad!
superleague

Post by superleague »

I can understand people are remaining positive but our attack is so poor, unorganised, disjointed it's not even funny. Where a third of the way into the season and the attack is still crap. It's going to be a long season, there's just too many inexperienced players in the team, and players that are not good enough or just not performing, all I keep being told is its a transitional period but it bloody shouldn't be and that's both Wane and lenagans fault
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

superleague wrote:I can understand people are remaining positive but our attack is so poor, unorganised, disjointed it's not even funny. Where a third of the way into the season and the attack is still crap. It's going to be a long season, there's just too many inexperienced players in the team, and players that are not good enough or just not performing, all I keep being told is its a transitional period but it bloody shouldn't be and that's both Wane and lenagans fault

:eusa2:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

superleague wrote: there's just too many inexperienced players in the team
this is what a huge majority of fans wanted, it doesn't work, we are missing a few golden oldies to stear us around the park
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:
superleague wrote: there's just too many inexperienced players in the team
this is what a huge majority of fans wanted, it doesn't work, we are missing a few golden oldies to stear us around the park
Did a huge majority of fans want this? I don't think so myself. Plenty of eyebrows raised about going with Williams at 6 for example.

I think if the majority of fans were guilty of anything it is not questioning some of the decisions made regarding the make up of this seasons squad when it became apparent what it was going to be.

There was a lot of "trust in Wane" and "If Wane thinks Gelling and are are good enough that is good enough for me" type of comments IIRC.

That isn't the same as wanting an inexperienced team. Perhaps the desire not to be "negative" stops people stating the obvious at times.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Some of these comments take away from Salford today.

We started just fine and if we had carried on with the pressure I'm sure the game would have been ours. But again when we have no need a penalty kick is taken when we should have taken a set of six. Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't we lost each game were this has been done this season?

Salford regrouped and there defence was brilliant. This and injuries drained them so they changed tactics they played dirty and got under wigans skin. We lost composure and they kept their lead. We didn't pull back together until the last few minutes. We just got stuck in and ended with a try.

I also feel our failure to control Chase cost us today as well as the major difference in defence between when micky mac is on and Logan.

I have nothing against Logan and I think he is a good work horse with a all round game however our defence is in a different league when Micky Mac is on the field.

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.