Good Friday First 15 Minutes Analysis

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Good Friday First 15 Minutes Analysis

Post by cpwigan »

Mike wrote:No second 20minutes?

Btw I think it's a rather large generalisation to write off the learning capabilities of the entire British isles based on a third hand analysis of 6 or so individuals.
It is somewhere Mike. Got bored and my little boy messed it up (probably far more intelligent than I).

If you look Mike for the last 30 + years no British RL coach has shown the capability to be an elite RL coach. Maybe it is a reflection of the sport. I would have loved to seen Edwards as a RL coach but I doubt that will now ever happen.

The sad part is we were once the brains of RL / the ultra professional and clinical RL coaches of the world but that went by the wayside over 50 years and the Aussies took what we developed and adapted it / improved it as the rules changed etc etc.

Very rarely are Brits good at coaching team ball sports in the modern era. The best coaches Wigan have had have been Oceanic.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

i'm spartacus wrote:

Btw I think it's a rather large generalisation to write off the learning capabilities of the entire British isles based on a third hand analysis of 6 or so individuals.
I wasn't generalising at all as I already said that it isn't the quality of the players, but the quality of the competition. We could compete, but we won't compete effectively until we seriously improve a domestic competition in which the majority of our national team play in. At the moment, our performance is boosted and defined by people like the Burgess's, Widdop, Graham, etc.

We do have some great players here; but there talent isn't brought to its full potential because they don't compete week after week against other talented players and quality teams.
Mike was referring to myself not you Spartacus
gruffy

Post by gruffy »

cpwigan wrote:

It is somewhere Mike. Got bored and my little boy messed it up (probably far more intelligent than I).

If you look Mike for the last 30 + years no British RL coach has shown the capability to be an elite RL coach. Maybe it is a reflection of the sport. I would have loved to seen Edwards as a RL coach but I doubt that will now ever happen.

The sad part is we were once the brains of RL / the ultra professional and clinical RL coaches of the world but that went by the wayside over 50 years and the Aussies took what we developed and adapted it / improved it as the rules changed etc etc.

Very rarely are Brits good at coaching team ball sports in the modern era. The best coaches Wigan have had have been Oceanic.
Have to agree with you the thing i cant understand is most dominance in sports comes and goes in regular cycles but the aussie dominance shows no sign of abating its almost as if we're in thrall to them and I can't see how we can break the habit.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

i'm spartacus wrote:And the likelihood is that is how it will remain, but that isn't really down the quality of the players, it is purely down to the quality of the competition. Great competition makes better players of good players, and turns good players into great players.

SL isn't ever going to the quality of the NRL for a whole host of reasons, mostly revolving around the amounts of money available. Raising the salary cap won't work, because there are clubs presently in SL that can't afford the salary cap as it is. If we don't have that level of contest, then we will struggle to compete. In the main, the only reason we can get a sniff now is because of the English players playing in the NRL.

I see why you posted as you did once I read another thread where you was subjected to some comments that were beyond the boundary of an exchange of opinion. Nobody should be exposed to that.
One thing is for sure, juniors need to be paid a better salary if we are to attract top sportsmen to our game.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
i'm spartacus wrote:And the likelihood is that is how it will remain, but that isn't really down the quality of the players, it is purely down to the quality of the competition. Great competition makes better players of good players, and turns good players into great players.

SL isn't ever going to the quality of the NRL for a whole host of reasons, mostly revolving around the amounts of money available. Raising the salary cap won't work, because there are clubs presently in SL that can't afford the salary cap as it is. If we don't have that level of contest, then we will struggle to compete. In the main, the only reason we can get a sniff now is because of the English players playing in the NRL.

I see why you posted as you did once I read another thread where you was subjected to some comments that were beyond the boundary of an exchange of opinion. Nobody should be exposed to that.
One thing is for sure, juniors need to be paid a better salary if we are to attract top sportsmen to our game.
Dream on, with the likes of Leneghan, Hetherington and McManus having so much influence over others, the idiots who are in charge at Red Hall and the fact the game is so poorly promoted we will never compete with the vastly better product that is NRL