Utilising the cap to the best of our ability..

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NeeNawWarrior22

Utilising the cap to the best of our ability..

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

Firstly, this is not a negative, just something I've thought for a few weeks now and confirmed it to myself after tonight's performance.
Secondly a great performance from the boys, I enjoyed it.

Utilising the salary cap and making the squad the best it can be under these restrictions is ultimately a business, and obviously needs a bit of financial know how.
This might sound controversial to some fans, but how much is Charnley on do we think, what chunk does he take out of the cap?

I ask this, because up to now this season, and IN MY OPINION, large chunks of last season, I think he is/has been average. Yes he's a good winger who can finish but there are plenty of them in SL, and again IMO we have one already who is playing in his position in the form of Manfredi.

What I am trying to say, is I assume Dom is on far less than Charnley. Dom is just as good. To utilise our cap so we can afford the players we have like S.Tomkins/ J.Tomkins/ Lockers/ Farrell (the exceptional players), is it a big deal if we let JC go?

From a financial/business sense, I can't see the the negatives. Don't get me wrong I'm not Charnley bashing, I'm just thinking from a pure business sense. We have a product replacement just as good for less money, for now.
Manfredi will one day be just as deserving of the wage JC is earning now.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Utilising the cap to the best of our ability..

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

We are losing Budgie, we keep Charnley! However I do understand what you are saying!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

And once the Marquee vote goes through it will free up a bit of money as well. Though that's not guaranteed to go through tonight's announcement think means its a formality.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Maybe it's time to let oloughlin go at the end of the season.he very rarely plays these days and finally the boys have found a way to play without him or sam( which is funny considering his signing tonite).i still seriously think we need a goal kicker though.it will cost us soon.maybe release Bowen now and sort this problem
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Well Dom has just signed a new contract but if he continues to play as well as he is maybe the club will have to upgrade it.
NeeNawWarrior22

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

Firestarter wrote:Maybe it's time to let oloughlin go at the end of the season.he very rarely plays these days and finally the boys have found a way to play without him or sam( which is funny considering his signing tonite).i still seriously think we need a goal kicker though.it will cost us soon.maybe release Bowen now and sort this problem
I don't think releasing Bowen and finding a short term solution for this season would be the answer, unless it's a loose forward/centre, which we are not going to get.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

As long as he can kick goals and tackle I'm sure we could squeeze someone in.its a long season and w are going to get injuries
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
markill

Post by markill »

With O'Loughlins reduced role due to injury - and with that potentially being a recurring thing, or at least a thing that means he doesn't play the full 80 every game that he does play - should it maybe be that the powers have a word with him and ask him to take a pay cut so that we have a bit more to offer some of the younger players? He's got a coaching job lined up anyway, which means the club can already give him medium/long term financial stability to look after his family, which with the salaries rugby league players are on needs to be a consideration for those with families more than the pride or glory of being the best paid player.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Isn't part Locker's salary covered by the RFL, forgot what it's called, cos he has been at the same club for more than eight years?

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

josie andrews wrote:Isn't part Locker's salary covered by the RFL, forgot what it's called, cos he has been at the same club for more than eight years?
Only half his salary counts on the cap if I can recollect he has been with the same club 10 years.