WANE BALL

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
PaulC

WANE BALL

Post by PaulC »

So ive scoured through all of the posts after the game last night and could not believe that there was no negative mention about the mysterious beast that is Wane Ball.

So, let me be the first to say WANE BALL and ITS WORKING in the same sentence :-)

Even CP was happy :roll:

Only a bit of banter, but on a serious not we sure do have one solid team out there, and one that's really starting to come together nicely!!
:cool:
thegimble

Re: WANE BALL

Post by thegimble »

PaulC wrote:So ive scoured through all of the posts after the game last night and could not believe that there was no negative mention about the mysterious beast that is Wane Ball.

So, let me be the first to say WANE BALL and ITS WORKING in the same sentence :-)

Even CP was happy :roll:

Only a bit of banter, but on a serious not we sure do have one solid team out there, and one that's really starting to come together nicely!!
:cool:
We changed attack last night. Wire never knew what Williams was going to do he created space and Gelling took his BMX through them and partied all night long.
markill

Post by markill »

With the offloading game that we've seen in the last handful of games could we even say that Waneball is dead!?

Actually, we can't, because what people call Waneball is one particular type of play - spreading it wide with forwards only being used as second man dummy runners for multiple plays in a row.

We still use it and with good effect at times and it fails at times, just like any style of play. BUT, what we surely can start to put on the shelf is the 'we only have one way of playing under this dumb coach' line. Clearly not as we scored a variety of tries from a variety of set ups last night and over the last few weeks have won games in different ways. We've played it big and tough in the forwards (Hull FC, St Helens), we've played with freedom and flair in the backs (Wakefield, Catalans) and we've found a middle ground (Warrington, Huddersfield - albeit the latter was error strewn so kept the score down).

All we need to do now if find a way of playing and winning away from home!
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

out of curiosity, as wane is the coach and the offloading is somthing they worked on in the off season to spruce up the game play a bit.

isnt this techically still WANEBALL, as any rugby tactic used by Wane in set plays is WANEBALL.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Caboosegg wrote:out of curiosity, as wane is the coach and the offloading is somthing they worked on in the off season to spruce up the game play a bit.

isnt this techically still WANEBALL, as any rugby tactic used by Wane in set plays is WANEBALL.
The Wigan way is the Wane way. Still don't know how the season is going to end up but at the moment it looks like Waney has pulled the rabbit out of the hat and turned another rebuilt side into potential Grand Finalists.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Funny isn't it how a few weeks ago we would be lucky to make the top 8!! :lol:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

Dunno about Waneball, but we threw some ridiculous high risk passes across the field coming out of the start of exit sets. We were deliberately circumventing the bigger Wire pack and the dry and still conditions suited it. They all came off, so we're okay.
gruffy

Post by gruffy »

Waneball does seem to be,after such a slow start working some nice if a little risky balls tossed about last night the needless giving away of penalties seems to have ended yes Waneball could be the future :D
menpond

Post by menpond »

Looks a great Wembley side,just watch out for bananas skins,ie CAS on boggy pitch.Should be the year Wane becomes ,in yesr 4, a top top coach. Needs to find a way to win in a tight cup tie,probably Leeds and/or Saints.,and no more Flower cock ups. Here hoping.
mp
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I've got to admit he got it right last night.he clearly played on there left inexperienced centre sending both gels and Joel at him at every opportunity.the first 15 to 20 we were getting caned by there pack so wane changed tactics which worked wonders. I also thought moving Williams to first receiver payed dividends.i also think rocky didn't get enough praise for his passing game last night( if you forget the dropped balls). Would love to see him and Williams get a run together( maybe at wakey)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE