Marquee Signing

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
sc74

Re: Marquee Signing

Post by sc74 »

Burgess, LOL.
Why not really push the boat out and go for GI?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Gallen will be 34 in August, surely he will be nailed on for Warrington
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

medlocke wrote:Gallen will be 34 in August, surely he will be nailed on for Warrington
Definitely. His legs have gone!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

sc74 wrote:Burgess, LOL.
You are totally missing the point around the Marquee player Salford could very well pay GI more than union or the NRL. If that rule is not passed then no SL side will sign any decent player.

But the DR at Salford could out bid anyone if the rule is passed. SC has kept top players away from SL for a very long time but this at least puts sides with ambition on the radar of top players.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

thegimble wrote:
sc74 wrote:Burgess, LOL.
You are totally missing the point around the Marquee player Salford could very well pay GI more than union or the NRL. If that rule is not passed then no SL side will sign any decent player.

But the DR at Salford could out bid anyone if the rule is passed. SC has kept top players away from SL for a very long time but this at least puts sides with ambition on the radar of top players.
Ok.

OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

Burgess would be brilliant for us - bu ti would like to see Widdup here
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

jobo

Post by jobo »

OAMJSS wrote:Burgess would be brilliant for us - bu ti would like to see Widdup here
IL mentioned Widdop in his interview. Said something along the lines of he'd be delighted for Leeds if they managed to sign him but would prefer to see him at Wigan.

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I'd prefer Sam at 6.
Hampshire at full back and Sam stand off.
Sam would be a better 6 than Widdop, as good as the lad is he's not as good as Sam.
I think Sam could replicate what Lockyer did when he moved from full back to stand off. He was at another level, I think Sam could improve as much as Lockyer did with the same devastating effect.
Was anyone at Elland Road when Lockyer played for the Roos v GB?
That's the best game by a stand off I've ever seen, ever.
I think Sam could become that good, or, not far off it!

RC

Post by RC »

I'm usually really skeptical about the rumours on this site; especially when it comes to signing marquee players.

However, I feel confident that Sam Burgess could actually sign for us! He's struggling in Union, won't make it into the World Cup squad IMO (Unfortunatly). I think that Sam is a big fan of Wigan, and reguarly keeps in contact with some of our players. He'd feel welcome with the squad, but which squad would not welcome him? :D

Paul Gallen seems a much more likely option though, looking at his age and form. Although he's almost 34 and his body may be giving up, he's still a world-class player and a workhorse. Aggressive in every aspect and a great leader with a ton of experience. I doubt he'll sign though, because his age doesn't suit Shaun Wane's agenda. (I'm a massive fan of SW, not hating) He'll probably go to Warrington or Leeds.

KaylaRobbo

Post by KaylaRobbo »

Topic on Twitter today is that Kurt Gidley (?!?) is rumoured to be coming to SL.
Comments about him aren't too good. a) Eking out money at the end of his career b) Injury shot
Don't know about him myself? Any thoughts?