Lenegan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Lenegan

Post by DaveO »

Fujiman wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:Poor DaveO

Every time his glass is half empty, some clumsy tw@t knocks it over. Just after the bar has closed! :lol:
Quote of the day :lol:
Well having watched the interviews on Wigan TV given by IL I really dont give a stuff :wink:

He really is going on about it as if their return vindicates letting them go in he first place. It really is nonsense IMO.

He makes no mention whatsoever of the fact none of the returnees have seen their contracts out. For whatever reason it didn't work out in RU for Joel and in the NRL for Mossop and Sam is homesick (I don't agree with those suggesting he has been a failure). Had none of these things happened they would not be back. Things not working out for them elsewhere is not part of a master plan.

What is also interesting is the idea put forward by some they are back here out of loyalty for Wigan. When they left the argument was it's a short career so who can blame them. Loyalty does not count. Well the same applies now they are back. It's a short career so unless it was to the players advantage to return here to Wigan, they really would not be back.

As I said previously IL deserves some credit for stumping up the fee for Sam because if he hadn't someone else would have and if Sam is really that homesick he'd be playing for Wire next year not us. However the idea he is back because its part of a master plan and loyalty to Wigan is obviously not true and the fact IL is saying it is (labouring the point if you watch the interview), well he must think we are all naive.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:
Fujiman wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:Poor DaveO

Every time his glass is half empty, some clumsy tw@t knocks it over. Just after the bar has closed! :lol:
Quote of the day :lol:
Well having watched the interviews on Wigan TV given by IL I really dont give a stuff :wink:

He really is going on about it as if their return vindicates letting them go in he first place. It really is nonsense IMO.

He makes no mention whatsoever of the fact none of the returnees have seen their contracts out. For whatever reason it didn't work out in RU for Joel and in the NRL for Mossop and Sam is homesick (I don't agree with those suggesting he has been a failure). Had none of these things happened they would not be back. Things not working out for them elsewhere is not part of a master plan.

What is also interesting is the idea put forward by some they are back here out of loyalty for Wigan. When they left the argument was it's a short career so who can blame them. Loyalty does not count. Well the same applies now they are back. It's a short career so unless it was to the players advantage to return here to Wigan, they really would not be back.

As I said previously IL deserves some credit for stumping up the fee for Sam because if he hadn't someone else would have and if Sam is really that homesick he'd be playing for Wire next year not us. However the idea he is back because its part of a master plan and loyalty to Wigan is obviously not true and the fact IL is saying it is (labouring the point if you watch the interview), well he must think we are all naive.
When they all left did IL not say he was confident they would all return to Wigan at some point in the future so maybe he did have a masterplan!! :wink:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

DaveO wrote:Well I give up.

There is only one reason JT, Mossop and ST are or will be back here.

It's because it did not work out elsewhere.

No other reason. Not some master plan by IL.

Can't believe anyone is naive enough to believe otherwise.

It was the players decision to leave and it is their decision to return to RL in the UK.

The one aspect of this that does IL some credit is persuading them to come back here in particular paying a fee for Sam as I am not sure other clubs would match it.

But lets be clear, if it had worked out for them elsewhere they really would not be back.
Cracking post :eusa2:
robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

But surely this is not the point, which was that, if you not not make it difficult to allow players to, admittedly, break their contract, or brass them off by refusing to allow them to go, then they may, repeat may, return to the club that released them. I get a little fed up with this anti IL narrative that says he's tight. Why should we buy sucess? Are we not a little better than Chelsea FC in that deeply flawed sport soccer? Are people a little jealous that he has made a sucess of his life, coming as he seems to from a fairly poor background? Which part of last Thursday night was so bad?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

robbobillinge wrote:But surely this is not the point, which was that, if you not not make it difficult to allow players to, admittedly, break their contract, or brass them off by refusing to allow them to go, then they may, repeat may, return to the club that released them. I get a little fed up with this anti IL narrative that says he's tight. Why should we buy sucess? Are we not a little better than Chelsea FC in that deeply flawed sport soccer? Are people a little jealous that he has made a sucess of his life, coming as he seems to from a fairly poor background? Which part of last Thursday night was so bad?
I do not think that is what Dave is saying.

I think the club leave it open ended and hope that players return but none simply return come what may. Mossop was close to signing for Leeds and Sam spoke to Wire. Both the club and the player cover their options. No master plan.

Why should Wigan not spend money? We always have when we have been successful. Our great eras have combined local with world class players. Sullivan, Boston, Ashton, Hanley, richards none were Wiganers.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

robbobillinge wrote:But surely this is not the point, which was that, if you not not make it difficult to allow players to, admittedly, break their contract, or brass them off by refusing to allow them to go, then they may, repeat may, return to the club that released them. I get a little fed up with this anti IL narrative that says he's tight. Why should we buy sucess? Are we not a little better than Chelsea FC in that deeply flawed sport soccer? Are people a little jealous that he has made a sucess of his life, coming as he seems to from a fairly poor background? Which part of last Thursday night was so bad?
Aren't Wigan RL better than simply talking and acting like a feeder club for other clubs or sports? Also I am not keen on letting players go with the safety net of just coming back, it certainly does not help with the revolving door culture of the last few seasons. When I was growing up Wigan were arguably the biggest Rugby club, of either code, in the world and could attract any Rugby player, we are better than that.

This attitude of simply accepting your lot and aiming low and keeping the status quo, instead of aiming as high as possible, is precisely what is the matter with RL in this country.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Dobby wrote:
DaveO wrote:Well I give up.

There is only one reason JT, Mossop and ST are or will be back here.

It's because it did not work out elsewhere.

No other reason. Not some master plan by IL.

Can't believe anyone is naive enough to believe otherwise.

It was the players decision to leave and it is their decision to return to RL in the UK.

The one aspect of this that does IL some credit is persuading them to come back here in particular paying a fee for Sam as I am not sure other clubs would match it.

But lets be clear, if it had worked out for them elsewhere they really would not be back.
Cracking post :eusa2:
But I still don't recall anyone saying it was a masterplan!! So I don't know how anyone is being naïve!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

Agreed, it was not or is not a masterplan, and maybe IL is overegging the pudding somewhat, but surely it does make sense to allow players to go with good wishes. On the spending point again it is a blend of homegrown players plus top talent, I agree! But I wouldn't want to go back to back to back Challenge Trophy wins. Apparently all crowds fell ( apart from Wigan) at that time- the general consensus in sport is that uncertainty of outcome ensures maximum crowds and thus income. Maybe the marqee player is the answer- thanks for the debate.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Whether it was a master plan or not they came back to wigan. What he did was lay the way for them to return and they did. Smart cookie is Pollard :lol:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

At least this thread is worthy of being in a forum> I clicked expecting another link to another websites RL news