Gelling Injury

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Gelling Injury

Post by cpwigan »

At the end of the day prior to the injury Gelling was playing fantastically. Hopefully, he will recover and do so again. I have sad memories of Amos Roberts.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Ellery Hanley must be the finest example of a truly stupid player, as he himself never mind other team players knew what he was going to do next. It worked for him as he is probably the only British player who would get into the best Rugby League team of all time. Even Slamin Sams route to that team would be a discussion point.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Ellery Hanley and Gelling in the same category? Not in the same universe I'm afraid.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Southern Softy wrote:Ellery Hanley and Gelling in the same category? Not in the same universe I'm afraid.
In time you will see
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Southern Softy wrote:Ellery Hanley and Gelling in the same category? Not in the same universe I'm afraid.
Agree 110% Ellery was actually predictable but stopping him was another thing. The Aussies did in a final test decider at Elland Road. 99% of the time he could not be stopped and was the ultimate pro. Once in a lifetime player.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
DaveO wrote:
yokozuna wrote:Intentionally or not, what Gelling does is put doubt in the defender's mind. He's so unpredictable that he must be a nightmare to defend against.
Or play with in your team.

Doing something stupid when there are better options available is not being unpredictable, it's just an excuse for being stupid.

Oh come on, you must have seen Gelling do things like take the wrong option not because he was trying to be clever but because he simply ran the wrong way (for example) because he wasn't reading the game.

A half back chipping over the top might not be what his team mates expected but a good half back will have done it because he saw an opportunity. I really don't think Gelling is a clever RL player like that. He's random in what he does but it is not unpredictability in the way I describe how the half back plays.
All players must be stupid Dave, as they all take options that aren't seen in hindsight as being the better option.
Do this once, do this 100 times, your still stupid for not taking the better ootion.
If the half back examples kick over didn't come off at least you can make a judgement as to something being on or not. With Gelling (I can remember which game it was but it was at the DW) he just hoofed the ball down the pitch to know where on the 3rd tackle. It was completely random and he does makes these kind off odd decisions quite often.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

No person alive who watched Hanley all his career can ever rate gelling in the same world.thats probably the most controversial debate I've ever heard.hanley is a legend and one of the best sportsmen ever( anyone remember how good he was on gladiators also?)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
menpond

Post by menpond »

PM .Iwould put Vince Karalius in the same league as Hanley.
mp
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I can't believe some of you think PM was actually comparing EH to Gelling!! He was just making a point using Hanley!! I read enough of his posts to realise he would never do that!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I can't believe some of you think PM was actually comparing EH to Gelling!! He was just making a point using Hanley!! I read enough of his posts to realise he would never do that!!
Glad someone else understood his post :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan