Wane not interested in NRL players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Wane not interested in NRL players

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote:I always get the impression that SW is referring to Wigan beating manly with a full English team.Maybe that's just me,but It's always in the back of my mind when he mentions how much he wants to beat the Aussies etc
Me too :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I just find it insulting to the history of the club and its past legends to suggest Wiganers somehow make a greater effort for the club. As John Monie openly stated; Kelvin Skerrett, a yorkshireman and Andy Platt a Billingers who played for Saints first both put more effort into their own development than Wane did. Wane was so called at his dream club/career yet did not train to the then Wigan standard.

How dare anybody suggest that Jim Sullivan, Billy Boston, Ellery Hanley ET al Et al did not sweat blood and damage their bodies for this club as much as anybody else, least of all Wiganers! IIRC they were quite few Wiganers in our darkest days mid to late 70's!

A winning mentality has nothing to do with where you are from etc etc. It is about the individual and they gravitate to winning clubs. Do you think Andy Greg or Joe Lydon or Andy Platt or Mike Gregory said oh we must sign for Wigan because it is our hometown club. They all went were they thought they had a better opportunity to be winners and all bar 1 returned when this club became a winning club again. They found players from all over the world with the same winning mentality and those winners had just as much desire, often more.

Even today when you talk about youth development; Manfredi is a Leyther, Rocky a yorkshireman but does that mean anything, the Busby Babes etc were from all over Britain. Yes you can get a solidarity from being together as youngsters but a winning mentality / attitude is far far more important.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Firestarter wrote:I always get the impression that SW is referring to Wigan beating manly with a full English team.Maybe that's just me,but It's always in the back of my mind when he mentions how much he wants to beat the Aussies etc
That was a one off and to get it right a NZ was probably the biggest reason we won as coach that night!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Still a good win considering manly were(for me) one of the best aus teams to play in the wcc.we had a few players out including dean bell.Graeme west was on the bench as I remember, so it wasn't an all British team
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It was an amazing win / occasion FS. Never repeated since in terms of what that night was like. I wasn't in Aus but every other WCC never reached the heights of that night for me. Whether Manly took it as serious who cares.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Well as Mr Wane likes to remind us about the great 80's and 90's. That era was built on knowing you could be replaced and indeed some would be replaced as the team became better and better, more successful. The legends would even suggest players to sign. Lest MPE forgets this is sport not normal business economics / working practices.
From what we have seen on the thread the only person going on the great days of the eighties and nighties and before is yourself

Yes, players in those days knew they could be replaced by better players, but it was at a time when their was a abundance of far more quality players in Union where there was not the money they get now and players at their peak in the NRL who would come to our game knowing that they would still be considered for Origin and International selection.

Still waiting for you to suggest a name of any top player today in Union or the NRL who would come to our game like they would in the past.
I have never said they can / will. Wane did and you agreed because Wane said it! not CPW :lol: To play along though, Todd Carney? Terry Campese? I could go on, it is also easier to discover relative unknowns even today. It was easier with winter RL to attract players either way but even now it is possible. The main selling point being to extend careers on softer English grounds, less demanding RL and the cultural experience. We are not going to return to winter RL but a rise in the cap would help. You are incredibly defeatist WW :roll: I would not like to stood next to you in a time of crisis, you would be waving your white flag before a shot had even been fired.
Exactly the type of comment that some come out with when they are not having all their own way.

And for the record not a defeatist, just like many other supporters facing the reality that things are not like they used to be in the era that you appear to be still living in.

Keep watching the video's!

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cpwigan wrote:I just find it insulting to the history of the club and its past legends to suggest Wiganers somehow make a greater effort for the club. As John Monie openly stated; Kelvin Skerrett, a yorkshireman and Andy Platt a Billingers who played for Saints first both put more effort into their own development than Wane did. Wane was so called at his dream club/career yet did not train to the then Wigan standard.

How dare anybody suggest that Jim Sullivan, Billy Boston, Ellery Hanley ET al Et al did not sweat blood and damage their bodies for this club as much as anybody else, least of all Wiganers! IIRC they were quite few Wiganers in our darkest days mid to late 70's!

A winning mentality has nothing to do with where you are from etc etc. It is about the individual and they gravitate to winning clubs. Do you think Andy Greg or Joe Lydon or Andy Platt or Mike Gregory said oh we must sign for Wigan because it is our hometown club. They all went were they thought they had a better opportunity to be winners and all bar 1 returned when this club became a winning club again. They found players from all over the world with the same winning mentality and those winners had just as much desire, often more.

Even today when you talk about youth development; Manfredi is a Leyther, Rocky a yorkshireman but does that mean anything, the Busby Babes etc were from all over Britain. Yes you can get a solidarity from being together as youngsters but a winning mentality / attitude is far far more important.
Maybe I am wrong but it seems to me cpw that you are scraping the bottom of the barrel to find things to have a go at Wane for since things on the pitch have improved.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I just find it insulting to the history of the club and its past legends to suggest Wiganers somehow make a greater effort for the club. As John Monie openly stated; Kelvin Skerrett, a yorkshireman and Andy Platt a Billingers who played for Saints first both put more effort into their own development than Wane did. Wane was so called at his dream club/career yet did not train to the then Wigan standard.

Maybe I am wrong but it seems to me cpw that you are scraping the bottom of the barrel to find things to have a go at Wane for since things on the pitch have improved.
:lol1: :lol1: Just for once I make a post backing CP up and then he has to go OTT :lol1: :lol1: apart from the dig at Wane (of which I have no knowledge either way)I do agree with his point
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

:roll: You are wrong> I merely respond to what happens. No stupid factually incorrect comment by Wane, no need to comment. Would it not be scraping the bottom of the barrel when our coach makes a factually incorrect and insulting comment to turn a blind eye or do you actually agree with it.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: From what we have seen on the thread the only person going on the great days of the eighties and nighties and before is yourself

Yes, players in those days knew they could be replaced by better players, but it was at a time when their was a abundance of far more quality players in Union where there was not the money they get now and players at their peak in the NRL who would come to our game knowing that they would still be considered for Origin and International selection.

Still waiting for you to suggest a name of any top player today in Union or the NRL who would come to our game like they would in the past.
I have never said they can / will. Wane did and you agreed because Wane said it! not CPW :lol: To play along though, Todd Carney? Terry Campese? I could go on, it is also easier to discover relative unknowns even today. It was easier with winter RL to attract players either way but even now it is possible. The main selling point being to extend careers on softer English grounds, less demanding RL and the cultural experience. We are not going to return to winter RL but a rise in the cap would help. You are incredibly defeatist WW :roll: I would not like to stood next to you in a time of crisis, you would be waving your white flag before a shot had even been fired.
Exactly the type of comment that some come out with when they are not having all their own way.

And for the record not a defeatist, just like many other supporters facing the reality that things are not like they used to be in the era that you appear to be still living in.

Keep watching the video's!
You are warped ww. You said it is not possible to sign NRL players, I gave you the evidence without even having to think. If you are going to debate then you need to step up becase at the moment your going around in circles and making meaningless comments.