Before we round up and burn Wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Before we round up and burn Wane

Post by Wintergreen »

I'm not saying Wane is a great coach, I'm not even saying he's a good coach but you can only play what's in front of you.

There is no doubt that he has the ability to enthuse his team. There is no doubt that he gives his all for Wigan.

There is a doubt about his tactical ability, and frankly that is becoming more and more of an issue.

However.

The amount of "average" signings that Wigan RL have made over the last 5 years or so is shocking.

The buck stops with IL. No excuses.

I had to laugh when he was interviewed on SKY saying "The re-signing of Sam Tomkins was well worth the £XXX".

Well done IL.

EXCEPT it was WAY less than the original transfer fee coming the other way when he signed for NZ Warriors.

Does he think we are stupid?

IL vs [Jack Hilton, Maurice Lindsay, Tom Rathbone, Jack Robinson]

I know where my money would go.
stevo38

Re: Before we round up and burn Wane

Post by stevo38 »

very true lose Tomkins for 2 years 500 000 profit less his wages too many people blinded by the real reason wigan are poor ian lenaghan ,
pedro

Post by pedro »

oh dear. Short memories. Maybe we could go back to Rathbone and Robinson and bankrupt us (no central park have we??) Or under Whelan...did you guys not go when we were pasted 70-80 off saints and Leeds?

IL has a cap he cant spend over, we have a large squad and one of if not the best training facility in SL, we have some of the best backroom staff available, yet lets blame the chairman...
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

pedro wrote:oh dear. Short memories. Maybe we could go back to Rathbone and Robinson and bankrupt us (no central park have we??) Or under Whelan...did you guys not go when we were pasted 70-80 off saints and Leeds?

IL has a cap he cant spend over, we have a large squad and one of if not the best training facility in SL, we have some of the best backroom staff available, yet lets blame the chairman...
Not strictly true. The gang of 4 worked perfectly. Interestingly it only went pear shaped when we were left with a single owner/director and we had Whelan attacking the club. You are right re the 70s but maybe that shows how bad we have been in an era that was set up as a halcyon era by Madge. N.B I never blame IL because for me a quality coach would be delivering with our resources.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
pedro wrote:oh dear. Short memories. Maybe we could go back to Rathbone and Robinson and bankrupt us (no central park have we??) Or under Whelan...did you guys not go when we were pasted 70-80 off saints and Leeds?

Not strictly true. The gang of 4 worked perfectly. Interestingly it only went pear shaped when we were left with a single owner/director and we had Whelan attacking the club. You are right re the 70s but maybe that shows how bad we have been in an era that was set up as a halcyon era by Madge. N.B I never blame IL because for me a quality coach would be delivering with our resources.
I wish you would give it a rest about the 'halcyon' era of Madge.

A coach who after putting himself in the shop window of the Super League like the ones at Bradford, Catalan Dragons, St Helens etc, did not think twice about leaving on getting a better offer from down under.

If he had shown some sense of loyalty to us, we would not have had to listen to your constant personal abusive vendetta campaign against Wane, or would we, in his role as the Assistant Coach.

Constructive criticism of Wane is one thing, but personal abuse the website can do without.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:

I wish you would give it a rest about the 'halcyon' era of Madge.

A coach who after putting himself in the shop window of the Super League like the ones at Bradford, Catalan Dragons, St Helens etc, did not think twice about leaving on getting a better offer from down under.

If he had shown some sense of loyalty to us, we would not have had to listen to your constant personal abusive vendetta campaign against Wane, or would we, in his role as the Assistant Coach.

Constructive criticism of Wane is one thing, but personal abuse the website can do without.
cant blame him, better job back home for more money...he had won everything here after 2 years.
pedro

Post by pedro »

cpwigan wrote:

rathnone and robinson sold us out as they had the majority rule, so was true :)
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

pedro wrote:
cpwigan wrote:

rathnone and robinson sold us out as they had the majority rule, so was true :)
The shareholders also did their bit by selling 89% of the shareholding of the club to Whelan (£125 for each one pound share).

Don't mention Judas to them!
pedro

Post by pedro »

dont think they had much of a choice after the majority holders sold up he would have controlled the club anyway
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

pedro wrote:dont think they had much of a choice after the majority holders sold up he would have controlled the club anyway
Wrong, to purchase the club, he needed to have the backing of the shareholders and the reason he made them such a generous offer which was a lot to them, but peanuts to himself.

If he did not need the shareholding to carry out the purchase, do you think that a multi millionaire like Dave Whelan would make such a generous offer.

From what I understand, the 89% is now owned by Ian Leneghan with the other 11% owned by those shareholders who did sell or kept one share free from a batch of eight shares to remain as shareholders.