Sam Tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Sam Tomkins

Post by Mike »

Firestarter wrote:
Mike wrote:I didn't see it, but why did he comment?

Have they been playing WaneBall in the NRL at Origin level?
Are you referring to the lack of leaders comment,or the no go forward comment?
I respect golds comments and agreed whole heartedly.They lost the game with very poor decision making imho
Sorry, should have quoted - was replying to cp's comment about Phil Gould talking about WaneBall during Origin. I just wondered how that topic came up. Something to do with Madge? I didn't see it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Mike wrote:I didn't see it, but why did he comment?

Have they been playing WaneBall in the NRL at Origin level?
Other than in the opp 20 obviously not but NSW actualy ran many plays similar to Waneball and Goulds comment was re the obsession of trying to get on the outside of opponents which is a trait of Waneball.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Yea,sorry mike,was cps quote.first quote you see lol
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

God wrote:I am apprehensive about Tomkins returning if I'm honest, he wasn't exactly firing on all cylinders before he left and looked to have lost a bit of pace.

Having said that he's played well for NZ Warriors, all be it I feel he wants the easy life by coming back.

Separate note James Graham is a phenomenal player but don't let the unwashed know this as they will be snapping one off over the fact one of there own has cracked the NRL and not Tomkins.

But I think Tomkins will win us things at the expense of other younger players possibly fan favourites also, leaving us etc.

Also I think Tomkins will be the next Wigan captain too after Lockers retires.

I've watched all SAMs games down under, I honestly think he has been carrying an injury before he went.I don't think he's lost pace because he's hardly used his step,which strengthens my case.
I noticed this in the final 3rd of his last season here(maybe why he passed more).His first outing for NZW was in the 9s.He started off on fire,then seemed to ease off(albeit he aggravated it again).
I'm not trying to defend Sam in any way,but although he has still played very well down under,he has hardly used his deadly step.This,for me,is second to none and I'm sure the truth will come out once he's fully fit.
I think he's back this weekend.Lets see
Mixed feelings at this moment, yes there is no doubting his talent but Is he good for the club? I'm not sure.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

We are getting back a world class player at around half the transfer fee we got for him and still some are unhappy.

Not so, it would appear the vast majority of the crowd at the Castleford game who were cheering and applauding the news, especially the little girl.

I despair at times!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

He will soon change everybody's mind when he rules the SL once again
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Tomkins will be an excellent signing for us. He might not live up to the expectations of some, but that is more an indication of over enthusiasm rather than his ability.

There is no doubt that he was (is?) a once in a generation player, and was a pleasure to watch before he left.

Personally I think that his unique playing style means that he was always going to be "pretty useful" in the NRL but "outstanding" in SL. Excelling where defences are less organised/broken defences more common.

Providing he hasn't picked up an injury/lost some pace, I see no reason why this will not continue.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

Sure he'll do well, and be the next captain. Can't see a single captain amongst this squad.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Agreed.It will be him or another signing for captain
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

Whelley Warrior wrote:We are getting back a world class player at around half the transfer fee we got for him and still some are unhappy.

Not so, it would appear the vast majority of the crowd at the Castleford game who were cheering and applauding the news, especially the little girl.

I despair at times!
I disrepair at the comments on here at times, not everyone sees things in black n white, right or wrong, yes or no !

The people who you say are "unhappy" about his return are looking deeper into the subject matter, the what if's, the whys and the maybe's of his arrival. Not just the fact he is a great player and he's joining Wigan. Allow people their expression of debate and allow them to analyse the pros and cons of decisions made by the club.

IMO i cant wait for him to join us, i saw some of his games (that bloody recorded) in the NRL and though he was holding his own. He should bring back fresh ideas if allowed to use them...... i cant be arsed thinking any deeper than than to be honest.
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing