SOS to Ellery!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
sc74

Re: SOS to Ellery!

Post by sc74 »

:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:I have to ask why are we being so insular almost arrogant to the point that the club dont want anyone bringing in any fresh new ideas because they aren't from Wigan or This BS "WIGAN STANDARD" tag.

I am quite sure there would be a number of coaches currently in the NRL, be they head coach or assistants who would jump at the chance to coach Wigan.

What is quite clear and having seen it first hand, is the Wigan coaching set up and progression pathway is probably one of the best around but periodically it needs fresh impetus and input and the most successful method of doing that is from the NRL whether we like it or not.(Even our England coach recognised this and upped sticks and went to work in the NRL)

I could go on and on but i will say this, if Wigan do not act quickly and make some dramatic changes we will start to go backwards very fast.
One of the best things about Wigan over the years and IMO one reason it has been so successful is it has been the exact opposite of insular.

Whether that is bringing in Lowe ahead of two British coaches who had just won a CC or signing the best players available (and I mean available as in ones we could hope to sign, not unrealistic targets) regardless of origin it seems to have worked.

Even signings right out of left-field such as Botica (who was a 2nd string all-black) worked.

These days there is far too much talk of having an entirely Wigan based squad or "not looking to the NRL" for it to be anything other than too insular.

There could be another Botica lurking or a Carmont but I get the impression were are not even looking.

While we do sign players from outside the club, such as Sarge and Clubb, such signings are at odds with the sentiments expressed.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

You have to want to be the coach of WRLC Edwards doesn't.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If Wigan were to bring Edwards in as coach with Sam back next year it would increase season ticket sales by 1000 or more and plus that on the average gate!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

There is no guarantee that Edwards would do well though, if he failed then that ruin the legend with a lot of people (myself included), i wonder if that's one of the real reason's why we haven't seen him back yet
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

True Medlocke, there's no guarantee but I think he'd do very well. The man's a great understanding of all things Rugby and he's been handling the powderkeg of emotion with Wales and their need to get results with the Union team.

sc74

Post by sc74 »

Wigan have a huge advantage over all the other clubs, with Leeds and STs following closely behind.

The academy setup is utstanding and a credit to all those who work tirelessley behind the scenes.

Why we are not dominating at this present time is a travesty.
Why is there an inability to brush these hotch-potch, patch work sides aside?

Surely it's harder to fail, isn't it?

Anyway, hope you all enjoy tomorrow and my trebble (with Wigan!) comes in.

Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:I have to ask why are we being so insular almost arrogant to the point that the club dont want anyone bringing in any fresh new ideas because they aren't from Wigan or This BS "WIGAN STANDARD" tag.

I am quite sure there would be a number of coaches currently in the NRL, be they head coach or assistants who would jump at the chance to coach Wigan.

What is quite clear and having seen it first hand, is the Wigan coaching set up and progression pathway is probably one of the best around but periodically it needs fresh impetus and input and the most successful method of doing that is from the NRL whether we like it or not.(Even our England coach recognised this and upped sticks and went to work in the NRL)

I could go on and on but i will say this, if Wigan do not act quickly and make some dramatic changes we will start to go backwards very fast.
One of the best things about Wigan over the years and IMO one reason it has been so successful is it has been the exact opposite of insular.

Whether that is bringing in Lowe ahead of two British coaches who had just won a CC or signing the best players available (and I mean available as in ones we could hope to sign, not unrealistic targets) regardless of origin it seems to have worked.

Even signings right out of left-field such as Botica (who was a 2nd string all-black) worked.

These days there is far too much talk of having an entirely Wigan based squad or "not looking to the NRL" for it to be anything other than too insular.

There could be another Botica lurking or a Carmont but I get the impression were are not even looking.

While we do sign players from outside the club, such as Sarge and Clubb, such signings are at odds with the sentiments expressed.

The Wigan based players thing is rubbish.

The real reason is that IL wants to save money.

That being said we DO have an outstanding academy.

If we coupled this with a propensity to spend on "outside" players, we would have a squad second to none.