Is Wane the right man to coach Wigan?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Is Wane the right man to coach Wigan?

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:
old hooker wrote:Once again I find this forum becoming so pathetic.I do blame the moderators for allowing the same couple of posters to wind people up with such inflamotary attitudes.It is so easy to criticise,insult and bad mouth people on a computer.Would these people say it to anyones face? I think not.I never reply to the posters in question and have no intention of doing so,as I have no respect for them.
The moderators are volunteers / fans. Do not blame moderators if you are too lazy to use the ignore option that Mike gave people. You actually owe moderators an apology. Stop being lazy, use ignore.
CP he is just wants the mods to shut you up. He might as well say it and that for me is a lot worse than anything you have said on here. Wether i agree or not with you i would never want you to be kept quiet.

I have more respect for people who will debate with you than to get someone to stop you. If a person can not put anyone on ignore it just makes you wonder if they have a connection or a reason for protecting someone or are they fishing for the Rugby club.
Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

cpwigan wrote:
East Stand Faithful wrote:Cpw, i have given your question some thought today and decided that Waney should go if we do not win the GF.

I dont see the point of sacking him now as we would be limited as to who we could get in mid season.

No personal swipes, snipes or plain nastiness was meant by this message.

If I have offended anyone ever, I apologise unreservedly.

Regards,

East Stand Unfaithful
Not sure a mid season appointment would achieve much unless simply an assistant on a temporary basis. I know Noble did fantastically well when he came late season but I think coaches and players deserve a pre season together. My hope has always been that like Laughton at Widnes, the red letter days would sometimes allow success but as with Widnes, they had the team to grace Wembley but never the mentality to get there.

I cannot for the life of me think that Wane / Wigan did not expect a reaction by Hull KR after the crushing defeat. Moreover, I have always said if you simply play simple and work hard you can beat Wane coached teams because they beat themselves and they did that last night.

Like many I watched great Wigan teams win incredibly low scoring games where any mistake = defeat. I always felt confident. With Wane, if the opposition complete I am terrified.
Just back from the Giro. Now over CC debacle read all comments and I support ES F And CPW's opinions as quoted CP certainly polarises opinions which I believe can only be good for a forum such as ours. No need for th Vitriol
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Out coached/thought his counter part in McDermott.

Ive often said that in the big games we should use MM for the 80 mins. It allows us to use 3 props and a back rower on the bench, which gives our forwards a huge advantage. Gives our half backs more time too and we know our 3/4's are a match for anybody.

Granted, we can't bust Mcilorum all season by doing this but this tactic needs to be employed in the Play offs and grand final.

Well done Shaun Wane :D
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I still think the jury is out.

Leeds were below par, but at least the "back to basics" approach in the forwards was encouraging to see.

How Smith gets in the team at all beggars belief though. As for Connor Farrell.............I am speechless.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Wintergreen wrote:I still think the jury is out.

Leeds were below par, but at least the "back to basics" approach in the forwards was encouraging to see.

How Smith gets in the team at all beggars belief though. As for Connor Farrell.............I am speechless.
Connor is just a kid breaking into the first team. Give him a chance!
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wintergreen wrote:I still think the jury is out.

We made them below par, they didn't play bad we just didn't let them play well!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
markill

Post by markill »

Credit where its due, Wane played a blinder on Saturday - particularly in the way he used his bench. The brief rests he gave to Lockers and Mickey were in my opinion significant in making sure we were able to close the game out with our key defensive leaders able to positively contribute rather than get tired and give penalties away.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
KaylaRobbo

Post by KaylaRobbo »

Not the right time for yet another change! Is this not some of the reason why we are inconsistent? That we can't keep the same squad from one week to the next?
I don't believe Waney has a 'Plan B' which is my concern about him but at the same time do we really think that a full squad of players would still play like sheep to Waneys plan (Waneball ?!) and play like idiots week in - week out if they thought they could do it better? Surely better to play a blinder, risk the jip off the coach after but retain your credibility as a player??
The old phrase 'There's no 'I' in team' still stands for me. There is a fundamental problem in the team somewhere but I think its a number of things and I don't believe getting rid of one man will fix it.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Everything went right v Leeds including luck (some say you make your own). The key to beating Leeds was what it always is in 99% of games v anybody; dominate field position and possession. It may very well be different on another day. The 1st half could have been very different. Hopefully, what fans will realise is that if you lose the possession / field position battle you fatigue / look unfit etc etc. plenty of times fans have said the Wigan players look unfit when the truth is the exact opposite. Nevertheless, if you do not control games you end up slogging your guts out for little or no return!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

After Saturday the answer has to be "Yes".
I was getting worried that the tactics for home games that were being carried into away fixtures and weren't working weren't about to change.

Waney changed his selection, game plan and it worked. Leeds were expecting the same old, as I must admit I was.

I mentioned on threads that we had a Plan A for home games and we needed a Plan B for away fixtures. After Saturday it should be Plan A for home and Plan A+ for away. That is the way to win away from home, although it was a neutral venue and not another team's patch!
His tactics of using backs and back rowers to bring the ball off our line still works as it saves our front rowers for the back end of the game. Once again the last 20 and the opposition were blowing.
Leeds pack beaten, halves subdued and the backs not seen.

I do hope SW continues with those same tactics on Sunday as their pack could be missing Ferres and maybe Huby.
Although I do think those are the kind of tactics to win most away games not just v Leeds at Newcastle.