A nuance

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

A nuance

Post by cpwigan »

I need to see my GP but I have to give credit to Wane and/or his coaching team because some of the best attacks v Leeds happened with 6 and 7 playing alongside each other in attack, passing to each other.

Just to make me feel better. The 2nd man stuff was largely poop and we showed we played better keeping it simple.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: A nuance

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cpwigan wrote:I need to see my GP but I have to give credit to Wane and/or his coaching team because some of the best attacks v Leeds happened with 7 and 7 playing alongside each other in attack, passing to each other.

Just to make me feel better. The 2nd man stuff was largely poop and we showed we played better keeping it simple.
In the second half we controlled the ball a lot better, made very few mistakes, controlled field position and never looked like losing. When we deploy such tactics we are very difficult to beat. Had we taken all our chances the score line could have been embarrassing for Leeds.

I too like both halves linking together as it gives us so many more options in attack.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Agree we were better BUT a few questions I would have:

1. Why is Matty Smith in the team?
2. Ditto Connor Farrell- one of the amusing scenes was where he appearted to be giving George some "advice" after G's try. A donkey giving one of best prospects in the country a few pointers....
3. What has Hampshire done to deserve to be left out?
4. Plan A worked. The sign of a great coach is where Plan A fails, Plan B is trotted out and wins the game. Of course this is not Wane's fault, so it's not a criticism, more an observation.
5. Connor Farrell? If he's "Wigan Standard" then I'm "Van Wintergreen".
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Almost a wane compliment from you there CP :blush:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wintergreen wrote:Agree we were better BUT a few questions I would have:

1. Because he is a proven player and Lance Todd Trophy winner

3. What has Hampshire done to warrant replacing Matty Smith
(it's not his god given right)

5. Please explain "Wigan Standard"
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

2. Ditto Connor Farrell- one of the amusing scenes was where he appearted to be giving George some "advice" after G's try. A donkey giving one of best prospects in the country a few pointers....
4. Plan A worked. The sign of a great coach is where Plan A fails, Plan B is trotted out and wins the game. Of course this is not Wane's fault, so it's not a criticism, more an observation.
Wow!

1. He deserves to be!
2. He might have been asking for advice!
3. Played awful and unfortunately an experienced NRL player was waiting for his chance.
4. Plan A is Waneball is it not? So for me it was Plan B that worked.
5. Judging him on what 3 appearances, good job we didn't do that for Pat Richards as he certainly turned out to be 'Wigan standard' whatever that is!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

AdamMac wrote:Almost a wane compliment from you there CP :blush:
I know scary. My GP did not understand though and said I am as normal as the rest of the human race. Quack I think!
markill

Post by markill »

cpwigan wrote:I need to see my GP but I have to give credit to Wane and/or his coaching team because some of the best attacks v Leeds happened with 6 and 7 playing alongside each other in attack, passing to each other.

I'm not sure its a nuance. We've seen it a lot this season. Once we realised that we couldn't play the way we had without Lockers, we switched to predominantly passing from one half to another with the change up being the occasional pass from a forward. This has particularly been the case in attacking situations rather than the spread-it-wide-in-our-own-half situations, and actually our attack suffered when we went away from it against Hull KR in the Cup.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is certainly more prevalent this season than previously.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

medlocke wrote:

So is Joe Lydon and I wouldn't want him near the team either.

Agreed, but given Smith is adding very very little at the moment, wouldn't it be sensible to play him in his natural position? If you like "take a look at him".

Certainly. Subjective of course, but imo it's a level of ability that is higher than average for the level of Superleague as a whole. Will that do?