A nuance

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: A nuance

Post by thegimble »

One of the best things mentioned almost every time we lose why is Matty Smith in the side when Rocky is a lot better and so on.

Matty Smith at this moment in time is a lot better than both Williams and Hampshire at 7. When a pack gets turned over he can do little about it. Having Andrew Johns and Lockyer playing in a beaten pack and they would struggle.

Rocky has had his chance at FB and really struggled at times. I agree he is not a full back. But he made simple errors not under pressure. He reminded me of Ashton when he was in the Fb slot. Good coming forward but poor in defence at times.

Now people want Smith out so they can have the wet dream of Rock and George just like the academy. Been the best at that level is no guarantee of success. Rocky really needs to go on loan and be allowed to play at 6 to get real experience at a level above the academy.

If he had come into the side from another SL club he would have been hammered for his mistakes. I do not care where a player comes from but for some they put the players in a level they are nowhere near.

George Williams is becoming a very good partner with Smith in the halves and in the big games this season they have done well. Williams has progressed this season quicker and better than i thought he would. He is a player we should have a 10 year contract and a big buyout.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Matty Smith for me still deserves a place in the team, yes he has been inconsistent this year at times but who hasn't? I am not discarding Rocky at all but at the moment Smith and George are the best partnership.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

thegimble wrote:One of the best things mentioned almost every time we lose why is Matty Smith in the side when Rocky is a lot better and so on.

Matty Smith at this moment in time is a lot better than both Williams and Hampshire at 7. When a pack gets turned over he can do little about it. Having Andrew Johns and Lockyer playing in a beaten pack and they would struggle.

Rocky has had his chance at FB and really struggled at times. I agree he is not a full back. But he made simple errors not under pressure. He reminded me of Ashton when he was in the Fb slot. Good coming forward but poor in defence at times.

Now people want Smith out so they can have the wet dream of Rock and George just like the academy. Been the best at that level is no guarantee of success. Rocky really needs to go on loan and be allowed to play at 6 to get real experience at a level above the academy.

If he had come into the side from another SL club he would have been hammered for his mistakes. I do not care where a player comes from but for some they put the players in a level they are nowhere near.

George Williams is becoming a very good partner with Smith in the halves and in the big games this season they have done well. Williams has progressed this season quicker and better than i thought he would. He is a player we should have a 10 year contract and a big buyout.
I would say that is not strictly true. Leeds, we had everything going for us and George outshone Matty.

Looking at the bigger picture George and Rocky IMO will become better halfbacks than Matty so somewhere you have to reach a crossover point.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

thegimble wrote:One of the best things mentioned almost every time we lose why is Matty Smith in the side when Rocky is a lot better and so on.

Agreed re Williams. A good player now and imo his potential is massive.

I have never seen Hampshire play in the academy so can't comment on that part of his game.

What I would say is that Full Back is a very exposed position for an RL player thesedays. Not really where you want to be "learning".

And yes, he has made quite a few mistakes there.

The only doubt in my mind would be his defensive displays at half.

Then again that's why we need to throw him in there and see how he does.

Imo of course.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:

I would say that is not strictly true. Leeds, we had everything going for us and George outshone Matty.

Looking at the bigger picture George and Rocky IMO will become better halfbacks than Matty so somewhere you have to reach a crossover point.
But not mid season though when we really need experience. If Rocky was going to be here next season he would be out on loan getting experience at 6 or 7 given the return of Sam.

As good ass he might have been at Academy level its a massive step up.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:

And the way George has improved this season there's no reason why Ryan couldn't make the same steps forward given the chance in his chosen position.
People forget how fast Ryan is, how good his in play kicking is, that he can kick field goals.
He's just not had sufficient game time in a position comfortable to him to demonstrate this.
Being honest here, if Hampshire is shifted on with other chosen ones kept, I have big doubts on what IL, KR and SW are planning and my trips from Cumbria may well come to an end.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I've said from the beginning of the season which a few people have agreed with that when Lockers retires move Mickey to 13, Matty Smith to 9, George at 7 & Rocky at 6.

That I think would be ideal especially as Sam will be back at 1
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Bateman will be 13 IMO
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

So others should move from their positions to make way for Hampshire as he can only play in one position seems to be the main thrust of the argument.
George Williams is playing in an 'exposed' position and seems to be making more than a decent fist of it so I would have thought that Hampshire would have worked his socks off to succeed at full-back and I'm not convinced that it's the most 'exposed' position on the field.
I'm sure he is talented but he simply didn't play well enough when he was in the team and the one match where he was given kicking opportunities was pretty grim.
His chance will likely come but to drop a current international on a hunch and some academy form doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Hampshire given a decent run at stand off might make a real good show of it too, but that's not been offered to him.
Chances are if this continues then we won't ever see him do that in a Cherry & White shirt and that would be a crying shame.