Goulding retires

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: Goulding retires

Post by cpwigan »

Daz passed his medical to sign for KR and I cannot remember any concerns expressed whilst he was at Wigan. If you get silly Wigan should be blamed for Tuson having to retire too :roll:
doc

Post by doc »

josie andrews wrote:
DaveO wrote:
doc wrote:Now here's a question, did his condition develop whilst at KR or did the club know he had issues prior to letting him leave?
If you are implying the club let him leave or didn't go out of its way to entice him to stay (he was out of contract) because they knew he had a potentially life threatening concussion issue you must have very low opinions of the morals of those in charge at Wigan.

If the club knew he had an issue as serious as this it would have advised him to retire.

Do you really think they would be cynical enough to do otherwise?

What possible motive could they have for behaving like that?
Doesn't a player have to pass a medical when being signed by a club?
The players have head tests at the start of each season.

Allthough DG may have passed the tests a drop off in performance could have been observed and he could have been advised that he was taking a risk continuing his career. Players can be very reluctant to take such advice until there is no alternative but to accept the situation. A further couple of knocks could have sent him over the edge as the damage is cumulative.

As for being cynical, we have let DG an Tuscon go in recent years and both have retired shortly after moving. I hate conspiracy theories but...
doc

Post by doc »

If I remember rightly wasn't DG struggling to get a game after losing his place thru injury when his departure was announced? KR must have checked his chances of a successful recovery at the time.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I Put that down to favouritism TBH. I doubt DG has a coaching future at Wigan right now. I have no real info on this its just an outsiders view.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
sc74

Post by sc74 »

Wasn't he frozen out, or was that just an opinion on here?
pedro

Post by pedro »

I remeber him getting knocked out quite badly a few times for us, maybe that has caught up with him now
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

That's awful, a bleed on the brain doesn't sound good at all. Neither does 2 concussions in a week.

On when did it develop I think its irrelevant as its obviously cumulative. He would have undoubtedly suffered the majority of his concussions whilst playing for us, the Challenge Cup final immediately springs to mind where he was out cold for some time but I can think of others without too much difficulty.

As a player I have seen Darrell play since he was a kid at Pats and he is genuinely one of the nicest lads you could meet. A very underated player with a great all round game. I certainly think the club should offer him a role of some sort and help a player who was at the club in some capacity for over a decasde.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I really feel for Daz, who as a player and a person stood out for me. One of life's young gentlemen who nothing was an issue to. He was always approachable and never said a bad word.
I really hope something different in Rugby League, away from playing can be an option for Daz as I think he deserves it.
I have many fond memories of Daz Goulding.
doc

Post by doc »

Having read the interview surely KR should have rested him for the Cas match with it being a quick turnaround after Easter Monday. One must also question the quality of the examiner or how valid the current testing method is.