Sounds a good game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ChrisA

Re: Sounds a good game

Post by ChrisA »

Champions posted:
I agree with Pie eaters on this one. I thought we played well, and yes we could've scored more, but we won convincingly, and I'm happy with that. Scully try was awesome! Widnes are going down, but I think most of them expected it.
I never said we didnt play well did I ? we were ok, we didnt do anything extravegent, we didnt score any long range tries, they were all from inside their 1/4 near enough apart from the try from Gouldings break. We still dropped way to much ball, we should have had over 60 points easily yesterday but we didnt respect the ball enough, like I said we were ok, nothing more, any of the teams above us would have topped 70 points against that shower posing as a rugby league team.
Champions

Post by Champions »

ChrisA posted:
Champions posted:
I agree with Pie eaters on this one. I thought we played well, and yes we could've scored more, but we won convincingly, and I'm happy with that. Scully try was awesome! Widnes are going down, but I think most of them expected it.
I never said we didnt play well did I ? we were ok, we didnt do anything extravegent, we didnt score any long range tries, they were all from inside their 1/4 near enough apart from the try from Gouldings break. We still dropped way to much ball, we should have had over 60 points easily yesterday but we didnt respect the ball enough, like I said we were ok, nothing more, any of the teams above us would have topped 70 points against that shower posing as a rugby league team.
I never said you said we didn't play well.....I was merely stating I agree with the comments Pie Eaters made about the match. I know we should have scored more, but at least we won.
........and on the 8th day, God made Wigan Warriors!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Schalk Brits... posted:
Widnes could still be in SL next season as Whitehaven have been told they don't have SL facilities.If Haven are champs Widnes stay up.Might be worth a bet.
We were talking about this at the game. I bet there'll be a large Widnes contingent at the NL1 Final this year, it'll be like their home cup final without them even playing. Haven are extremely inconsistent away from home though, I think they'll make it to the final, I just hope they finish top beat Cas and then play Hull KR in the final, then Haven win and Widnes stay up.

Going back to the Widnes game. I said Widnes were abismal but I thought Cassidy had a good game, by far the best tackler in the league, round the legs everytime, stops the player dead in their tracks.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

pie eaters posted;
4 tries in 10 minutes so i just dont see how we were pathetic
24-48 - 72 points in a game - 4 tries in 10 mins. This is not uncommon, but something is really pathetic about SL. :conf:
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

pie eaters posted:
well i thought we played outstanding. We had the usual injuries we have had with no orr and no vaealiki and we also had newton sin binned. With all these injuries i thought we played outstanding we doubled their score a team that is fighting relegation with plenty of old wiganers in the side who wanted to prove something we came back from 12-2 down and came back with 4 tries in 10 minutes so i just dont see how we were pathetic
Who said we were pathetic ?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

pie eaters posted:
well i thought we played outstanding. We had the usual injuries we have had with no orr and no vaealiki and we also had newton sin binned. With all these injuries i thought we played outstanding we doubled their score a team that is fighting relegation with plenty of old wiganers in the side who wanted to prove something we came back from 12-2 down and came back with 4 tries in 10 minutes so i just dont see how we were pathetic
We were far from outstanding but not pathetic either (I think you've read that it your head). There was still the one man rugby for a lot of the game, they were poor enough to allow us through or not gather balls kicked through. We only went 12-2 down through faults of our own.

There was no need for Newton to lunge in and make a challenge on the kicker when the kick was covered, it was stupid panic play. This lead to a penalty which led straight to a try. Newton also played a crazy long pass instead of keeping it short and simple which resulted in a long distance try.

Aspinwall dropped the ball which would probably have led to a try, as did Allen and I think Hansen. Had we been playing someone like Leeds or Saints they wouldn't have gifted us the opportunities Widnes did and they'd have punished us greater for the errors we made.

Whilst there were positives from the game (like DV being injured and Goulding playing well) we have lots of improving if we want to beat Hull. As it has been all season, we need to stop making stupid mistakes and up our completion rate.