Is Wane the right man to coach Wigan?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wandering Warrior

Re: Is Wane the right man to coach Wigan?

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Exactly. A win against Salford will only paper over the cracks.
The team selection Friday will be interesting but SW's wellies are leaking and he can't find his puncture kit!
I would expect Login to give Sam Powell a bit of a run around if he was in a decent side but we shall see.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I would love to see Matty Smith given a run as interchange hooker with Mac. Smith having the ability to kick from dummy half would be a very interesting / useful option.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:I would love to see Matty Smith given a run as interchange hooker with Mac. Smith having the ability to kick from dummy half would be a very interesting / useful option.
Exactly what I said a while back!

bomhead

Post by bomhead »

medlocke wrote:
bomhead wrote:Enjoying your fancy rugby boys!! God only knows why coaches like madge coach boring rugby mabye because they like to win
are you in a jolly mood because your team won?
if I was a saints fan I wouldn't be happy because we were shit - may as well just given them the game but at least it was entertaining eh meddy might take it to my next shevy shark trainin sesh - here lads copy wigan instead of building pressure, tackling hard and doing all the other boring stuff that the auzzys do so well lets throw stupid passes in our own half because it entertains the so called fans who don't want to win anything and bring anymore money to the club.

I think your on to a winner

:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I would love to see Matty Smith given a run as interchange hooker with Mac. Smith having the ability to kick from dummy half would be a very interesting / useful option.
Exactly what I said a while back!
I've said the same thing from the start of the season! But hey ho, I'm a woman so I know nothing :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

bomhead wrote:
medlocke wrote:
bomhead wrote:Enjoying your fancy rugby boys!! God only knows why coaches like madge coach boring rugby mabye because they like to win
are you in a jolly mood because your team won?
if I was a saints fan I wouldn't be happy because we were shit - may as well just given them the game but at least it was entertaining eh meddy might take it to my next shevy shark trainin sesh - here lads copy wigan instead of building pressure, tackling hard and doing all the other boring stuff that the auzzys do so well lets throw stupid passes in our own half because it entertains the so called fans who don't want to win anything and bring anymore money to the club.

I think your on to a winner

:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
was nowhere near entertaining, our World Club game against Brisbane was entertaining and enjoyable, even though we lost i wasn't all that gutted as it had been a fine spectacle of rugby league, others games have served up great performances by each team with no interference from the Ref, just a shame that several on here have an agenda and twist what i say, i'll let you off as your new :wink: , ,y original Entertaing comment was aimed at the fact i found Madgeball very boring and would find myself reaching for a copy of Sea Angler or a mess about on Facebook during a lot of our games under him. A lot of fans on here have surgicaly fitted Cherry n White tinted glasses and don't like others telling the truth :thum:
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

I agree Madge did coach boring rugby but he was ruthless. when Bateman threw the forward pass I think it was the 3rd tackle he should have not chanced his arm we had them on the back foot and 2 tackles in the bank this is all I think you play fancy when we are winning and its on not when your in a grind of a match. you have to get on top of the other team before you can turn on the fancy stuff - this is what most auz teams do and certainly there national side they will be patent and not push things because even going into the last 2mins they know they will pressure a mistake and score.
I think wayne needs to ring the changes because that was not wigan at its best strong defence though just poor decision making and mistake after mistake.
BriH

Post by BriH »

cpwigan wrote:I cannot see him going before the end of the season but if he bombs out for a 2nd successive season surely even IL will be forced to act. We have the best depth of talent, the best young players, the best backroom staff and a first XVII comparable to any other in a weakening competition. Even IL will know that and have high expectations.
I said the same thing about this being the crunch season for SW. If he wins nowt then he should go IMO.
It's a hard business and it's all about winning at the end of the day.
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

I agree if we don't win anything then there is no money coming in - keep wane on as he instils what it is to play for Wigan but we need someone with a bit of brains and someone who can shake things up.
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

bomhead wrote:I agree if we don't win anything then there is no money coming in - keep wane on as he instils what it is to play for Wigan but we need someone with a bit of brains and someone who can shake things up.
If a new coach came in, Wane would not stay. Why would he go back to being an assistant in the UK when he could easily get a job as head coach somewhere else. Plenty of clubs would love to have a double wining coach. I could see him going on to be an assistant for a couple of years in Australia however.