Sam to be Marquee signing

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
JUKESAYS

Re: Sam to be Marquee signing

Post by JUKESAYS »

cpwigan wrote:Dave I am lost

From what IL said the cap is 1.8, 100,000 of Sam as a MQ counts as that leaving 1.7 million left to fund a squad.
Me too :conf:

As far as I am concerned it's simple.
We've signed Sam Tomkins on 100k a year for salary cap purposes. If IL wants to give ST more than that he can and it won't count on cap but the club pay it (Lets say another 200k).
To me that means that IL will be able to pay that amount to other players within the squad if he wants to and avoid the need to cut the squad or release others to stay under.

That 200 k could go on another player, a Couple players, spread it around existing squad members to keep them at the club and or a mixture of them all.

Makes sense to me to nominate Sam and as he in effect is a replacement for Bowen we may free up some more space if Bowen was is on more than 100k?

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Maybe I am being to simplistic but the Marquee rule basically means you can have 1 quality player/high earner that doesn't effect the SC. So it doesn't matter who is our marquee signing but what matters is we can or should be able to afford another quality player that will be on the SC!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

josie andrews wrote:I understand what you are saying gimble, & I'm glad he hasn't gone to wire or God forbid Leeds. I was saying that the high amount of wages one player gets could cause unrest within the squad.

Plus, I'm hopeless with figures so I'm not sure what the 'Marquee' signing means in terms of money spent or saved ????
I agree it will unsettle 1 or 2 in every side that will feel they want a bigger pay. The thing is the saving on the cap gives a bit of room to do this. For example Mickey Mac say is on 100k so to keep him away from say Leeds we can pay him another 50k and we can keep within the cap.

I have no doubts in Salford if they get a big name in it will unsettle as some apparently do not even get paid.

The way i see the cap now with the Marquee it allows us to give better deal to a few players as well as have Sam back. Gelling just signing a deal and IL Q and A around not letting players go to have Sam proves this.

But for some sides who pay way over the odds for a player it could cause unrest. But if done as IL now has it should minimize that but not stop it. But i would rather have Sam than not and keep lesser players in the team.

Before the ruling only player that benefited was the one taking a chunk of the cap.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/69763 ... is-players
Sam was playing in this game as can be seen on the clip footage :)
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Isn't it pretty simple?

A MS essentially "caps" the cost of one player at either £100k or £175k.

Choosing Sam essentially says "I am working with a cap of £1.8m- £0.1m = £1.7m (laughable how the concept of inflation goes over the head of those at Red Hall, but I digress)

It also says "Don't expect any big name signings" as the entire value of their salary would have to be accomodated out of the £1.7m.

There is a break even point of £175k where it makes no difference if the "non club trained" player is counted as the MS or not, anything higher than this would indicate us being better off counting the player as a MS*.

The break even point for a club trained player is obviously £100k.

Realistically unless we can get a non club trained player for under £175k, then we are unlikely to see a top player.

Hope that made sense!

* Of course it all depends on the relative cost of Sam vs that player, but we could be here all day going through the combinations. Assumption is that Sam and the prospective MS are on similar salaries.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Panchitta Marra wrote:http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/69763 ... is-players
Sam was playing in this game as can be seen on the clip footage :)
Yes, 30-8 victory over Canberra!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Sam seemed to be running freely in the game which is hopefully good news, no mention of any injury reoccurrence or suggestion he was substituted.
His links to the Wigan back line have been a big miss, but is that down to mis utilisation of Matty Bowen.
I always said that with Sam in that back line should have been used as a dummy runner on more occasions, as he was targeted with club's knowing he was going to receive the ball 9 times out of 10. Little doubt is placed in the opositions mind by continually being predictable.