Gells Rides Back into Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Bateman

Post by DaveO »

bomhead wrote: I have a few hip issues DaveO seeing as you know so much about physio and recovery periods could you help me out or bitcon - bet you disagree with Bateman having to put on some size as well and just run the ever so experienced 21 year old into the ground
What on earth are you on about with hip issues?

If Bateman isn't playing because he is carrying a chest injury that is a pretty straightforward and valid reason not to play him.

If he isn't injured this resting thing is a joke.

He's played 18 games and after Wire tonight there are 3 games left before the split, then seven in the "super 8" and if we go all the way to the GF two more after that.

A maximum of 30 games if Bateman plays the lot. One more than last season.

As we are at the business end of the season are you expecting Wane to rest anyone of the regular 1st 17 never mind one of our best forwards particularly once the super 8 starts?

I'd hazard a guess the answer to that is no.

So if Wane rests Bateman for the remaining league fixtures before the super-8 he's still going to play 27 games if we go all the way. Which isn't going to make one iota of difference compared to the 29 he played last season.

So how many games do you think Bateman should play from now on?

It's all very well for Wane to go on about protecting the player but he's left it too late unless he really is going to leave out one of our best players from the business end of the season fixtures.

bomhead

Post by bomhead »

DaveO wrote:
bomhead wrote: I have a few hip issues DaveO seeing as you know so much about physio and recovery periods could you help me out or bitcon - bet you disagree with Bateman having to put on some size as well and just run the ever so experienced 21 year old into the ground
What on earth are you on about with hip issues?

If Bateman isn't playing because he is carrying a chest injury that is a pretty straightforward and valid reason not to play him.

If he isn't injured this resting thing is a joke.

He's played 18 games and after Wire tonight there are 3 games left before the split, then seven in the "super 8" and if we go all the way to the GF two more after that.

A maximum of 30 games if Bateman plays the lot. One more than last season.

As we are at the business end of the season are you expecting Wane to rest anyone of the regular 1st 17 never mind one of our best forwards particularly once the super 8 starts?

I'd hazard a guess the answer to that is no.

So if Wane rests Bateman for the remaining league fixtures before the super-8 he's still going to play 27 games if we go all the way. Which isn't going to make one iota of difference compared to the 29 he played last season.

So how many games do you think Bateman should play from now on?

It's all very well for Wane to go on about protecting the player but he's left it too late unless he really is going to leave out one of our best players from the business end of the season fixtures.

I mentioned my hips because I thought you where some kind of physio or conditioner with your knowledge on looking after players bodies and how many games he can play at the age of 21.....obviously not judging by your response ill have to see a professional about my hips.

what's the point of having a big squad if you are not going to rest players and rotate them wane can't choose when his players hit fatigue - would you just jab him with a painkiller and say crack on - don't think you would like that kind of attitude if it was one of your family members or friends?

I think this will have come from Mark Bitcon and Rads not wane as it was them who made the initial statement on Wigan TV when we signed John. I would sooner see him rested for the games whoever it is against than forced to play until he has a serious injury.

We are far off the business end yet its a marathon not a sprint

[/quote]
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

by this stage of the season there probably isnt a player in the team not carrying a knock of some kind.

I agree with DaveO on this if youre injured then you shouldnt play but resting playing IMO is a bit of a joke unless you have a crucial match off the back of a throwaway match.

what people need to remember is yes he is 21 but this is what he chose to do with his life, if you think you can play professional sports of any nature for a long period of time and retire with ill effects youre kidding yourself. By the very nature of it you are pushing your body beyond what it is capable of doing but this is a choice.

If you want to play rugby with no side effects when youre 30 get a normal job and play at the weekends.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:by this stage of the season there probably isnt a player in the team not carrying a knock of some kind.

I agree with DaveO on this if youre injured then you shouldnt play but resting playing IMO is a bit of a joke unless you have a crucial match off the back of a throwaway match.

what people need to remember is yes he is 21 but this is what he chose to do with his life, if you think you can play professional sports of any nature for a long period of time and retire with ill effects youre kidding yourself. By the very nature of it you are pushing your body beyond what it is capable of doing but this is a choice.

If you want to play rugby with no side effects when youre 30 get a normal job and play at the weekends.
so you are both telling me if your son or relative plays for a SL club and started playing at a very early age due to that team struggling - Bradford. He then gets signed by a top club - Wigan who promise to look after him and rest him giving his body to catch up. when this isn't done and your son or family member is now playing more games you both would just turn to him and say this is what you choose to do :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would love to see it - truth of it is yes you won't be able to retire without injuries every sports man or woman knows this but he won't make it to 25 if he keeps playing at the rate he is and that goes for a lot of them - its wigans job to keep them healthy not just use them up till the next piece of meat comes a long
bomhead

Re: Gells Rides Back into Squad

Post by bomhead »

to bring Gelling back into the squad who would you have dropped - Joal - everyone on Wigans coaching team knows John was supposed to be rested so now we have Joal back in the second row its a good chance to do so. unless you think Joals a better centre than Gelling....
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I do feel sorry for these Athletes in our hot climate, they should be rested as much as possible so they don't burn out, i'm just glad they don't have to do a full weeks work as well, imagine that
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

bomhead wrote:
so you are both telling me if your son or relative plays for a SL club and started playing at a very early age due to that team struggling - Bradford. He then gets signed by a top club - Wigan who promise to look after him and rest him giving his body to catch up. when this isn't done and your son or family member is now playing more games you both would just turn to him and say this is what you choose to do :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would love to see it - truth of it is yes you won't be able to retire without injuries every sports man or woman knows this but he won't make it to 25 if he keeps playing at the rate he is and that goes for a lot of them - its wigans job to keep them healthy not just use them up till the next piece of meat comes a long
Batemans job is to play rugby. That is what he gets paid to do by Wigan. If he is fit I see no reason to rest him against Warrington. I can understand resting players against Wakefield etc. but not against a team like Warrington. The other, more sensible option would be to have him on the bench and spell him.
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

Warrior20 wrote:
bomhead wrote:

Batemans job is to play rugby. That is what he gets paid to do by Wigan. If he is fit I see no reason to rest him against Warrington. I can understand resting players against Wakefield etc. but not against a team like Warrington. The other, more sensible option would be to have him on the bench and spell him.
Warrington are 7th not exactly a top team fixture - we just disagree I still don't think you would like one of your family members to be treated that way by a club who is supposed to look after the players
sc74

Post by sc74 »

Player welfare must be paramount.
These guys get paid peanuts for what they put their bodies through.
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

sc74 wrote:Player welfare must be paramount.
These guys get paid peanuts for what they put their bodies through.
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:

I agree