v Wire Thoughts?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: v Wire Thoughts?

Post by cpwigan »

If and it would be a big if we could get a decent coach even short term we could salvage this season. The fortnight break would have been ideal but it has now gone.
RC

Post by RC »

Ah, my bad. Forgot his name :D
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote: :slee:
Put me on ignore then, simple!
I like fishing too much. :D
Try spellings as a past time!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

I don't think this team is worse than any other team plying in this league. They are playing like a team that has had all the confidence kicked out of them by the playground bully. Abusing players in the dressing room went out with Alex Murphy. I fear Wane may be destroying the careers of some good up and coming players.
"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: Put me on ignore then, simple!
I like fishing too much. :D
Try spellings as a past time!!*
*pastime
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I don't think it is the players. Everyone has the odd bad game - last night Gelling wasn't fit and Tautai had a stinker; Matty Smith's tactical kicking was excellent (despite little protection from the pack) but his handling was poor; Williams didn't play well, even before he was attacked on the ground - MM was very impressive as was Manfredi and Bowen (in attack not in defence) but we looked a side with no idea of how to change what was happening on the field.
We have a decent squad that needs some minor adjustments - Patrick, for example, was a terrific player but is anonymous with us and I don't know how we're going to function without Budgie, even if he never gets a pass all night as play is snuffed out because we are slow moving the ball across to him.
We look a decidedly run of the mill team with much the same players who looked as if they could rule SL a couple of seasons ago.
Heaven knows what Sam must be thinking at the moment!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Last night showed for me what i alluded to on another thread. The team spirit has gone, nobody looks like they want to play for eachother no-one really looked like they wanted to be there.

There were a few telling signs last night whih to me suggest something is seriously wrong.

1) Lockers - i dont know if he was there but him and deacon didnt seem present i could be wrong but certainly i saw most of the wire injured contingent in suits

2) Wane - in the past when things havent been going our way or players made a mistake then when the camera pans to him he is effing and jeffing and beating his chest. Last night everytime the camera panned to him he looked like someone who was living on borrowed time and kenw it he wasnt animated in the slightest.

As i said in another thread when noble was here the team did not play for eachother, IMO this was because Noble was a favourites man, he picked players he liked, i know of many stories of players like gleeson turning up late or worse to training but their name was still first on the team sheet, that starts rot in a team. As soon as players know that its not about effort and skill anymore it starts the rot and in time that will rot through a team and kill it

Wane seems to be going down the same route, when he first came in it seemed like he was picking players on performance but Sam Powell is a typical example of a player who is clearly rated by the coach but no-one else.

The bully boy shouting my way or the highway does work, but its a short shelf life for that style of management, people in general react far better to having their good actions praises than their bad actions punished.

I sound like a broken record but Madge was the king of this, and thats why wigan were so good while he was here, forget the number of trophies that can mask things, can you remember a really poor performance while he was here? i cant, i cant remember ever looking at wigan and thinking they werent at the races. He was known for talking to the players as equals, he was known for being charming.

He also, never criticised another team, he never criticised the ref, he never gave his players excuses or distracted them. Ive heard stories of how he put dinner parties for the wifes of the players to show his appreciation for the time the players were away from home life. That is far more effective than telling someone they need to do 600 pressups for dropping a ball.

The players look shot, they look like the motivation has gone, maybe things will turn around im not sure, but the worst thing about last night is we were playing Wire. Thats masked how truely bad it was because Wire are a "good" team, except they were down on men and form, the reality is there is BIG problems at wigan
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

erm not that i disagree with what you have said,
but yes i do remember wigan playing poorley under Madge, quite a few times.

the main ones that stick was the inabilty for us to play well vs Wire in the league.

Madge did one thing that Wane seems to have lost the ability to do, we turned up to BIG games no matter the opponents, be it the CC or GF wigan were motivated to get to the finals and when we lost it wasnt because we played badly.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The players never looked disinterested though is what i mean, yes we had bad days at the office, but the players were still trying
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Shaun1967 wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote: I like fishing too much. :D
Try spellings as a past time!!*
*pastime
Maybe you can teach him!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett