Gells Rides Back into Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
yokozuna

Re: Gells Rides Back into Squad

Post by yokozuna »

It's not just their welfare.

A player "rested" now might mean they can give that little bit more come the climax of the season. Think of it as a character in a computer game whose energy bar recharges when they rest.

Yes, maybe they could play, but maybe they'd give a bigger return to the club when they are most needed if they're rested now.

Of course, there's also the argument that some players need to play regularly to maintain their intensity and form. Resting that sort of player could be counterproductive.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

yokozuna wrote:It's not just their welfare.

A player "rested" now might mean they can give that little bit more come the climax of the season. Think of it as a character in a computer game whose energy bar recharges when they rest.

Yes, maybe they could play, but maybe they'd give a bigger return to the club when they are most needed if they're rested now.

Of course, there's also the argument that some players need to play regularly to maintain their intensity and form. Resting that sort of player could be counterproductive.
I agree with both points - I still think Wigan owe it to John to keep their word and rest him. the type of player he is I don't think any amount of rest would curve his character if anything it will make him more hungry for it
robspark

Post by robspark »

This turned out to be great thread about Gells.....
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

bomhead wrote:
I agree with both points - I still think Wigan owe it to John to keep their word and rest him.
You think he is going to be rested now?

If he wanted to rest him he should have played this week given he'd already had a week off (unless injured) and not next.

The whole thing about that promise was stupid anyway. It was in my view Wane failing to engage his brain before opening his mouth.

He's done it again by saying he is going to rest him when we are running out of games he can be rested from.

Just how many games did he think Bateman should play in a season?

No one seems to have an answer to this.

I'll ask you again, how many do you think he should play given he's played 18 already and the maximum he can play in is 30? (Though on our current form it's far more likely to be 28!)

DaveO

Re: Bateman

Post by DaveO »

bomhead wrote: so you are both telling me if your son or relative plays for a SL club and started playing at a very early age due to that team struggling - Bradford. He then gets signed by a top club - Wigan who promise to look after him and rest him giving his body to catch up. when this isn't done and your son or family member is now playing more games you both would just turn to him and say this is what you choose to do :lol: :lol: :lol:
So what about Williams at 6? He's first choice 6. So expected to play all the games unless injured. Same applies to Sarge and Gells. No alternatives for them.

Now you may say none of them are forwards but what about their mental state? Williams has gone from a handful of games to first choice. He looks to have lost the plot to me and if he has I'd not be surprised.

Where is the duty of care here?

There isn't any.

Bateman looks far more capable of handling a season of SL games than Williams and for that matter more so than quite a few other players.

Resting Bateman for a significant number of games, if he does it, is a corner Wane has talked himself into.
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

bomhead wrote:
Warrington are 7th not exactly a top team fixture - we just disagree I still don't think you would like one of your family members to be treated that way by a club who is supposed to look after the players
What was that about Warrington not being a top team fixture? Bateman should have played loose forward last night, it's as simple as that.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

bomhead wrote:
Warrior20 wrote:
bomhead wrote:
so you are both telling me if your son or relative plays for a SL club and started playing at a very early age due to that team struggling - Bradford. He then gets signed by a top club - Wigan who promise to look after him and rest him giving his body to catch up. when this isn't done and your son or family member is now playing more games you both would just turn to him and say this is what you choose to do :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would love to see it - truth of it is yes you won't be able to retire without injuries every sports man or woman knows this but he won't make it to 25 if he keeps playing at the rate he is and that goes for a lot of them - its wigans job to keep them healthy not just use them up till the next piece of meat comes a long
Batemans job is to play rugby. That is what he gets paid to do by Wigan. If he is fit I see no reason to rest him against Warrington. I can understand resting players against Wakefield etc. but not against a team like Warrington. The other, more sensible option would be to have him on the bench and spell him.
Warrington are 7th not exactly a top team fixture - we just disagree I still don't think you would like one of your family members to be treated that way by a club who is supposed to look after the players
Agree on 1 thing Warrington are not a top side but neither are we.

The way we are Warrington will pass us in the next stage of SL we can not win against a good side at their ground. Wire have been short on confidence for weeks but the Leigh result and last night will see us struggle to make top 4. Cas and Giants could be above us next week and that's a reality now.

Wire are poor and so are we.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Whoever on the coaching staff decided that Gelling was fit to play last night should be considering their position.
Not for his continual losing of the ball or playing his own game regardless of the rest of the team but for his complete lack of fitness.
After 30 minutes, he was continually seen bent over gasping for breath with his hands on his thighs and couldn't keep up with play at any stage. When Russell threw the ball for an interception, he couldn't get within 15 yards of the play the ball for what would have been a walk-in try for the first receiver. When Manfredi scored his try, Gelling was miles away from the action and the two tries scored through his position came about because he wasn't fit enough to get in the correct defensive position to make a tackle.
Any reputable coach would have got him off the pitch either at half-time or in the second half.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Southern Softy wrote:Whoever on the coaching staff decided that Gelling was fit to play last night should be considering their position.
Not for his continual losing of the ball or playing his own game regardless of the rest of the team but for his complete lack of fitness.
After 30 minutes, he was continually seen bent over gasping for breath with his hands on his thighs and couldn't keep up with play at any stage. When Russell threw the ball for an interception, he couldn't get within 15 yards of the play the ball for what would have been a walk-in try for the first receiver. When Manfredi scored his try, Gelling was miles away from the action and the two tries scored through his position came about because he wasn't fit enough to get in the correct defensive position to make a tackle.
Any reputable coach would have got him off the pitch either at half-time or in the second half.
yes he might have been bad but he's trained well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Gelling was well off the pace of the game as he was always going to be after 10 weeks out. That should have been taken account of in the squad and team selection.
He has to play himself up to match fitness and this has to be managed.