Bateman at Centre

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Bateman at Centre

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
thegimble wrote:
cpwigan wrote: NOT better than Gells before his injury! SOME WAY OFF
I agree CP.

Gelling's form before injury was better than anything from any centre in a Wigan shirt this season.
Well that isn't saying much is it but what are you two watching re Gells? I really don't get this.

Gells is seemingly on a different planet than most people off the field and the rest of his team mates when he is on it doing some totally daft things that aren't "off the cuff" things but just plain daft.

He can run over smaller players so looks spectacular but he is error prone (25 errors, 2nd highest in the squad net but on average this is about two per game).
Tell me how many of our players go over the top of anyone atm. What did we create last night. 3 kicked tries and one move down the middle. And 2 bombed tries which wont count on any error report by those individuals who made then wrong choice.

Again you look at a stat that justify's your argument. Given a centre needs to set up tries who has the most in total of all the centres in the side. Who has the best per game tries of the centres. Tackle bursts per game. Average gain per game etc.

Anyone can look at a stat and use it to justify anything. But does not hide the fact recently who have been woeful at times and our tries per game has dropped badly in a passing move. 3 tries from very good kicks one with a very good break is worrying. we have scored 5 tries in games 4 have come from kicks.

We hardly create a decent overlap any-more for Burgess or Manfredi/Josh to have a run for the line with a decent amount of space in front of them. That is due to the predictability of the players. If Gelling can go over the top of a smaller player then why does Sarginson not do it. After all you make it sound easy.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'd say the first try "from a kick" came from a good overlap and a good break though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Mike wrote:I'd say the first try "from a kick" came from a good overlap and a good break though.
I agree i did mention it above but we are not creating enough daylight for the wingers. Werther that is tactical, been found out or player is for me undecided but at least Gelling creates a bit of space its another matter if he passes the ball. But we are not as free flowing as we were last season.

4 points is 4 points no matter how we get them but we have 3 wingers who no one can catch but Gelling is the best centre we have that might not say a lot but Bateman is Lockers successor if he stays.

1 thing i will add if Thornley gets a run he could push 1 of the centres out if he gets to 2013 level.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

cpwigan wrote:NO, great in an emergency BUT he is a back rower first and foremost NOT a centre
Exactly, I don't see the fascination with converting 2nd rows to play centre.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I suppose all we're really conclusive of is that the lad's a quality player. I don't think I'd want him at centre full time but it's very nice to know that if we need him to play there, he can. I've always like his dogged determination in any of the positions he's played and he's someone who's prepared to do the hard yards and mix it with the opposition 'enforcers'.
He's going to play at LF more and more and that's fine with me.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

For me we probably have about 6-7 truly quality SL players, we have some that have been, some that are on their way to being and sadly some that never will, Bateman is right up there with the best!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Bateman is a 2nd rower but he also the best 2nd rower emergency centre we've seen for a long while.
Excellent v Leeds.

Bateman is one of the best signings we've made in recent years. A really good rugby player.