Joel Tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gruffy

Re: Joel Tomkins

Post by gruffy »

I thought Joel was pretty good for the first part of the season but something has gone wrong,game after game since May time he wanders about doing very little he should have been rested long since to see if it is just a dip in form as his current form doesn't warrant his place in the side.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

sc74 wrote:
thegimble wrote:
platt-warrior wrote:They lost because of two suspect Wigan tries.
1st try is embarrassing. Off side by at least 3 yards.
Was it not also forward?
How can you possibly have a serious, professional sport where only live games get the luxury of video refs?
Whats the point of a Video Ref, they cant adjudicate on forward passes!! Don't you know the rules?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

slimshady wrote:
sc74 wrote:
thegimble wrote: 1st try is embarrassing. Off side by at least 3 yards.
Was it not also forward?
How can you possibly have a serious, professional sport where only live games get the luxury of video refs?
Whats the point of a Video Ref, they cant adjudicate on forward passes!! Don't you know the rules?
Rule needs to go along the lines of Union on forward passes. They look at more than the ball they will look at where the hands are pointing. The rule needs looking at. Maybe a captain's call on that 1 per game maybe.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

gruffy wrote:I thought Joel was pretty good for the first part of the season but something has gone wrong,game after game since May time he wanders about doing very little he should have been rested long since to see if it is just a dip in form as his current form doesn't warrant his place in the side.
Not been as good since he returned to the back row from having to fill in at centre and only hope that the same does not happen with Bateman as well.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

slimshady wrote:
sc74 wrote:
thegimble wrote: 1st try is embarrassing. Off side by at least 3 yards.
Was it not also forward?
That was a separate point.
curryman

Post by curryman »

sc74 wrote:
slimshady wrote:
sc74 wrote: Was it not also forward?
That was a separate point.
The video ref only at televised games situation is ludicrous. They film every game (otherwise how do they get the highlights on Super League Show?), so it cannot be that much more difficult and/or expensive to have a video ref there with a radio connection to the onfield ref.

Having said that, did you see the Catalan v Huddersfield game? Hudd's winning try in that went at least 5 yards forward, the touch judge was directly in line with it and did nothing. It was also on TV, they did nothing. The try was still given, causing the Catalan owner to explode.

I was sitting directly in line with play for Rocky's try against Widnes and my first thought was that the pass to him went forward. I was happy to see him score, as were the Wigan squad going by the way they mobbed him, but it still felt dubious.

Its a mess and it makes our great game a laughing stock.
curryman

Post by curryman »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
gruffy wrote:I thought Joel was pretty good for the first part of the season but something has gone wrong,game after game since May time he wanders about doing very little he should have been rested long since to see if it is just a dip in form as his current form doesn't warrant his place in the side.
Not been as good since he returned to the back row from having to fill in at centre and only hope that the same does not happen with Bateman as well.
I agree, he's been very disappointing since the Warrington home game. A pale shadow of the player he was before he went to RU. I wonder if he is playing with an injury, or if the injury he returned from Saracens with was actually a lot worse than we were led to believe.

Mind you I thought the whole team seemed very tired against Widnes. After half an hour they looked out on their feet. If Widnes had been able to add a fit Kevin Brown to the squad they fielded I think they would have beaten us the other night.

Things are amiss in the citadel.
mickh

Post by mickh »

Hi, first time i've been on since the game, I was going to bring up the "none-display" by Joel but I see butt monkey and others have noticed the complete inept offering from one of the most senior players in the team. He does not justify taking up a team place when there are more deserving players in the pipeline!
Walking around with "hands on hips", and, walking back to the line for most of the match is both unprofessional, and not good to see! + gives the opposing team confidence to raise their game being that if one is seen to be unfit there must be others.
Giving him a week off because he is tired?
Don't make me laugh! If he cannot play 80 minutes a week at he's age it is time to pack in.
Mick
sc74

Post by sc74 »

mickh wrote: Walking around with "hands on hips", and, walking back to the line for most of the match is both unprofessional, and not good to see! + gives the opposing team confidence to raise their game being that if one is seen to be unfit there must be others.
Don't make me laugh! If he cannot play 80 minutes a week at he's age it is time to pack in.
Mick
Maybe he, like others, is sick of the way he is being expected to play rugby.
Still no excuse though.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

sc74 wrote:
mickh wrote: Walking around with "hands on hips", and, walking back to the line for most of the match is both unprofessional, and not good to see! + gives the opposing team confidence to raise their game being that if one is seen to be unfit there must be others.
Mick
Maybe he, like others, is sick of the way he is being expected to play rugby.
Still no excuse though.
Apart from that, did you enjoy watching the the game on Friday.