Cameron Smith + spoiler

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Owd Codger

Re: Cameron Smith + spoiler

Post by Owd Codger »

slimshady wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Wigan Watcher wrote: Sorry I completely disagree. Blake did very little to nothing for Wigan. I've said it before, he got an injury to his eye and suddenly everyone forgot how bad he was for Wigan.
JESUS .......

A right sided half back played on the left and yet was still a fantastic player for us. Class act IMO, you ??[/quote

BG was good for us, if people cant see how much we have missed him this year they are not seeing what I saw. Its not just what he did when he played it was the influence on the training paddock, he is probably our missing link this year. Im not knocking Williams as I think he will become a star player for us he just didnt need the pressure of week in week out RL.
Spot on with your comments and more or less what I have said about Williams and the Stand Off position on another thread.

A clue about his value in the team should been noticed when he was missing for a short period last season and we struggled then in games.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Blake Green made Matty Smith look a potential international. I think that says a lot about Blake Mike. Likewise, if Blake was ordinary I do not think the storm would have signed him.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:Blake Green made Matty Smith look a potential international. I think that says a lot about Blake Mike. Likewise, if Blake was ordinary I do not think the storm would have signed him.
cpwigan, I know we have a difference of opinions at times, but you are spot on with your comments about Green and a pity that a link up with Williams at half back never occur.

But that's how things happen when we end up with a abundance of Scrum Halves and not enough class Stand Off's at the club.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Blake Green made Matty Smith look a potential international. I think that says a lot about Blake Mike. Likewise, if Blake was ordinary I do not think the storm would have signed him.
cpwigan, I know we have a difference of opinions at times, but you are spot on with your comments about Green and a pity that a link up with Williams at half back never occur.

But that's how things happen when we end up with a abundance of Scrum Halves and not enough class Stand Off's at the club.
We have a class Stand Off given a cameo role playing fullback.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:

Had we been able to tempt Green to stay I doubt Matty Smith would have been given a four year deal.

The fact he was smacks of panic and thinking we dare not have two inexperienced half backs. Which is probably true but that doesn't mean Smith was worth such a deal and we should not have simply looked elsewhere. I think the management of the half back transition has been poor since Tommy L left.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:

Seem to remember a bloke called Darren Lockyer being played exactly the same way, imagine that.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

slimshady wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: cpwigan, I know we have a difference of opinions at times, but you are spot on with your comments about Green and a pity that a link up with Williams at half back never occur.

Seem to remember a bloke called Darren Lockyer being played exactly the same way, imagine that.
No he wasn't.

As a junior Lockyer was a full back. Not a half back.

He played fullback as a senior for seven years (including for Queensland in SoO) before being switched to halfback by Wayne Bennett.

Whereas Rocky is being asked to play a different position in his transition from junior to senior RL.

Totally different.

slimshady

Post by slimshady »

DaveO wrote:
slimshady wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote: We have a class Stand Off given a cameo role playing fullback.
No he wasn't.

As a junior Lockyer was a full back. Not a half back.

He played fullback as a senior for seven years (including for Queensland in SoO) before being switched to halfback by Wayne Bennett.

Whereas Rocky is being asked to play a different position in his transition from junior to senior RL.

Totally different.

Darren Lockyer made his first grade debut for Brisbane at Stand Off in 1995 ARL season in the round 13 thrashing of Parramatta at 60-14, he was named rookie of the year in the same year.
In 1996 he played most of his games from the interchange bench. In 1997 Wayne Bennett moved him to fullback replacing Willie Carne who had been the fullback in 1996, he also took over Carnes goal kicking duties. Prior to playing RL he played Aussie Rules.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:

Had we been able to tempt Green to stay I doubt Matty Smith would have been given a four year deal.

The fact he was smacks of panic and thinking we dare not have two inexperienced half backs. Which is probably true but that doesn't mean Smith was worth such a deal and we should not have simply looked elsewhere. I think the management of the half back transition has been poor since Tommy L left.
On their Wigan showings, I'd go for leuluai and Finch ahead of Smith and Green.