no major signings rumour

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
sc74

Re: no major signings rumour

Post by sc74 »

Caboosegg wrote:im very confused with all the other teams bringing in new players to boost the super 8's why we are not, we are obviously short of a goal kicker and another centre for this season.
All part of the Master Plan.
It's called gambling on winning the GF with the lowest outlay.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Think you've let the cat out the bag there, short arms won't be too pleased with you!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

This has been my opinion for years, IL's rugby on the cheap. He is the crux of the problem and the reason we are struggling this year, people like to blame Waney and I'm not saying he has been blameless but I lay the bulk of the blame at IL's door. Not recruiting well and his tight fistedness when it comes to paying decent contracts. I know this is the case from talking to friends that are/have been pro RL players.
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

slimshady wrote:This has been my opinion for years, IL's rugby on the cheap. He is the crux of the problem and the reason we are struggling this year, people like to blame Waney and I'm not saying he has been blameless but I lay the bulk of the blame at IL's door. Not recruiting well and his tight fistedness when it comes to paying decent contracts. I know this is the case from talking to friends that are/have been pro RL players.
I can totally believe this - did he not do the same at Oxford Football club as well - I thought fans even accused him of creaming stuff off for himself as well.

we must have a lot of cash seeing as we sold Hock, HH, Scott T, Gil D, ST, JT, and moose
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

To be fair I think IL has invested in the club beyond simply buying it. Right or wrong I think he wanted youth development to reap its rewards and not require mega signings. Personally, I think it never an either / or.

I think IL is conservative / balance the books etc. BUT even then he does dip his hands in his own pockets ALBEIT I believe the club he has now will be worth considerably more than what he paid for it.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

IL isn't a skinflint, quite the opposite.
During the seven years he's owned the club some have run up considerable losses. IL has funded these losses himself.
It's expected 2014 accounts will show a loss but 2015 is expected to be a year in profit again.
The lack of signings I feel is due the those senior people at the club working for IL.

We are not signing for the eights as we have plenty fit players and there's competition for places. Or at least there should be seeing as quite a few are out of form.
As for 2015 signings, Sam is on the payroll at probably the cost of 2-3 players. That he is soaking a lot of cash up is certain. With Sarge reported as leaving this year or next and Thornley repotedly having signed for HKR you'd think the club would be after a quality centre.
No doubt they've been holding off signing a prop due to the changes in subs.

Sam will probably be the only major signing although I'd expect something will have to be done if we don't make the GF.
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

business in sport is always a funny thing and it is usually quite beneficial to the owner rather than the club - look at latics I don't think Whelan has done to bad from the turn style - Salford may have had lots of Koukash's money pumped in but when he leaves the club how much deters will they have and how many will he dump on them that they didn't have to begin with. I just hope IL is who he makes out to be and someone who loves our club and wants to see it prosper - like Russell crow hahahaha
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Wiganer Ted wrote:IL isn't a skinflint, quite the opposite.
During the seven years he's owned the club some have run up considerable losses. IL has funded these losses himself.
It's expected 2014 accounts will show a loss but 2015 is expected to be a year in profit again.
The lack of signings I feel is due the those senior people at the club working for IL.

We are not signing for the eights as we have plenty fit players and there's competition for places. Or at least there should be seeing as quite a few are out of form.
As for 2015 signings, Sam is on the payroll at probably the cost of 2-3 players. That he is soaking a lot of cash up is certain. With Sarge reported as leaving this year or next and Thornley repotedly having signed for HKR you'd think the club would be after a quality centre.
No doubt they've been holding off signing a prop due to the changes in subs.

Sam will probably be the only major signing although I'd expect something will have to be done if we don't make the GF.
Perhaps they are but keeping quiet about it to avoid other club's jumping in on possible sighting's like what has happen in the past on occasion's.

Hope so, anyway as you always have to be one step ahead of others where signings are concerned or you could end up like Bradford Bulls.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Perhaps they are but keeping quiet about it to avoid other club's jumping in on possible sighting's like what has happen in the past on occasion's.

Hope so, anyway as you always have to be one step ahead of others where signings are concerned or you could end up like Bradford Bulls.
Bloody hell that Shane Varley will never be forgotten as an argument for announcing signings early. How many years ago was that?

Bradford went bust due to the fiddling of the accounts. They were getting FAR fewer paying fans through the turnstiles than they will ever admit too (and that includes the official figures)

Just hope, like you say we have fingers in the pies of several players with the intention of signing them should their availability arise
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We are releasing Thornley and rumours are Sarginson will leave end of either 2015 or 2016. We do look like we will need a quality centre.

There are rumours on the Saints RL Fans board that Kyle Eastmond may return to RL if he is not picked for the RU World Cup.
Is he perhaps worth looking at? Played centre for Saints and England and no doubt would want a very decent salary.

The club have contact with Bath RU and he is a very good player. Seeing how he left Saints I can't see them re-signing him.