Lockers retiring, Greg Burke returning

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
KOOCH

Re: Lockers retiring, Greg Burke returning

Post by KOOCH »

cpwigan wrote:
KOOCH wrote:Nothing against Greg as I'm sure he will fit into the team in some capacity but my preference would be John Bateman who reads the game very well and also a safe pair of hands.I would also leave Joel in second row and bring in a dedicated centre.
I think the only issue with that is whether or not he could withstand the prop role physically and whether or not it leaves us too lightweight.

Defensively not a great problem as our LF defends close to the POTB anyway.
I understand where you are coming from in that he is a little on the light side but with the correct guidance I'm sure the club could bulk him up.I like his attitude in that he never takes a backward step from the likes of Peacock etc but without the bulk he would suffer in the long term.The other option is for JB to play centre.
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

some people think MM might make a good switch to 13? I am not to sure.

if larne stays he may make a good centre he's big and fast could be a handful for defences a lot like jo wardle who is a cracking centre
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:If it is true about Locler's, than I hope in goes out in style by us winning the Grand Final.

As for his position, Bateman or Joel Tomkins for me as I have seen nothing from Burke which has impressed me when he played Loose Forward.

But we all have our own opinions!
We do and you must have missed watching him play in Lockers absence at 13 when Lockers was injured and Burke got his very first run in the first team.

He was very good.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:If it is true about Locler's, than I hope in goes out in style by us winning the Grand Final.

As for his position, Bateman or Joel Tomkins for me as I have seen nothing from Burke which has impressed me when he played Loose Forward.

We do and you must have missed watching him play in Lockers absence at 13 when Lockers was injured and Burke got his very first run in the first team.

He was very good.
Sorry, I beg to differ and I did see him play.

The future will tell who is right!
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:

He was very good.

Well I think were safe in the knowledge that fans slated Lockers for years and look how he turned out! It's certainly not an easy position to just drop into, I mean after all he had to fill some very big boots in Andy Farrell, it took a while for Lockers ball playing skills to develop but he worked hard to get there and I always rated his defence from the start. Ive no doubt when the time comes it will be the same scenario for Greg replacing a legend is never easy but the skill, pass and defence is there for all to see and he will only get better with game time and experience. In a few years we could have 13 Wiganers out on that field and I believe that would send out a huge message to other super league teams. 2016 the year of the Warrior?
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

bomhead

Post by bomhead »

Tuigamala wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote: We do and you must have missed watching him play in Lockers absence at 13 when Lockers was injured and Burke got his very first run in the first team.

He was very good.

Well I think were safe in the knowledge that fans slated Lockers for years and look how he turned out! It's certainly not an easy position to just drop into, I mean after all he had to fill some very big boots in Andy Farrell, it took a while for Lockers ball playing skills to develop but he worked hard to get there and I always rated his defence from the start. Ive no doubt when the time comes it will be the same scenario for Greg replacing a legend is never easy but the skill, pass and defence is there for all to see and he will only get better with game time and experience. In a few years we could have 13 Wiganers out on that field and I believe that would send out a huge message to other super league teams. 2016 the year of the Warrior?
I agree the wigan 13 is a heavy jersey to wear - Greg didn't do to bad before he got injured thought he was playing well
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

bomhead wrote:
Tuigamala wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Sorry, I beg to differ and I did see him play.

I agree the wigan 13 is a heavy jersey to wear - Greg didn't do to bad before he got injured thought he was playing well
Agree with you both. Greg certainly did well in the stint he stood in for Lockers. A 'problem' Greg Burke had / has is that he fits into different positions. England Academy paired him with the Burgess twins at prop v Australia as they saw that as his optimum position but equally he has played LF throughout his junior career and has done in Academy, first team and also for Hull KR.

Burke is not a 'flashy' player but he makes very few mistakes and a superb skill set. In many respects he is potentially a Cuthbertson or a Gallen.
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

cpwigan wrote:
bomhead wrote:
Tuigamala wrote: Well I think were safe in the knowledge that fans slated Lockers for years and look how he turned out! It's certainly not an easy position to just drop into, I mean after all he had to fill some very big boots in Andy Farrell, it took a while for Lockers ball playing skills to develop but he worked hard to get there and I always rated his defence from the start. Ive no doubt when the time comes it will be the same scenario for Greg replacing a legend is never easy but the skill, pass and defence is there for all to see and he will only get better with game time and experience. In a few years we could have 13 Wiganers out on that field and I believe that would send out a huge message to other super league teams. 2016 the year of the Warrior?
Agree with you both. Greg certainly did well in the stint he stood in for Lockers. A 'problem' Greg Burke had / has is that he fits into different positions. England Academy paired him with the Burgess twins at prop v Australia as they saw that as his optimum position but equally he has played LF throughout his junior career and has done in Academy, first team and also for Hull KR.

Burke is not a 'flashy' player but he makes very few mistakes and a superb skill set. In many respects he is potentially a Cuthbertson or a Gallen.
I agree a prop with a good skill set is very useful indeed look at James Graham for instance this is why I think Lockers in his later stages now would make a great prop for us he can drive, tackle and play big mins (when fully fit) he has a good skill set also.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

bomhead wrote:
My point exactly. He played well as cover for Lockers then went off the boil having got injured.

From what Chris Chester says he's been impressed and I am not surprised.
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

he is a lump of a lad as well we need some size