rugby union at school

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
formulamoto

rugby union at school

Post by formulamoto »

in the early sixties, i went from a rugby league playing junior school to a rugby union playing grammar school. during the first games lesson, the ball was passed along the threequarters to the winger who dived in the corner for a try. this was disallowed as the games master said " in rugby union we place the ball not dive!!! " he even wore shorts with pockets !!
Wandering Warrior

Re: rugby union at school

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Wrong section of forum I'm afraid.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
formulamoto

Post by formulamoto »

so sorry for getting it wrong
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Good story. Know any others? :D :D :D
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

formulamoto wrote:in the early sixties, i went from a rugby league playing junior school to a rugby union playing grammar school. during the first games lesson, the ball was passed along the threequarters to the winger who dived in the corner for a try. this was disallowed as the games master said " in rugby union we place the ball not dive!!! " he even wore shorts with pockets !!
You mean to say that he said Rugby Union and not Rugger?

Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I remember playing at an amateur club(u 16s) against the older colts side,in an end of season friendly.We got a pen on there 20 m line.I winked at my mate who then went straight to the left wing.I then tapped the ball quickly and kicked the ball diagonally to my mates wing.As all there players were bunched,my mate took the ball and scored with ease.The ref looked bemused and disallowed the try for ungentlemanlly conduct.When I questioned him he said that" We don't do that in Union,like you league boys".
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

Firestarter wrote:I remember playing at an amateur club(u 16s) against the older colts side,in an end of season friendly.We got a pen on there 20 m line.I winked at my mate who then went straight to the left wing.I then tapped the ball quickly and kicked the ball diagonally to my mates wing.As all there players were bunched,my mate took the ball and scored with ease.The ref looked bemused and disallowed the try for ungentlemanlly conduct.When I questioned him he said that" We don't do that in Union,like you league boys".
There is so much pomp n crap in RU its hard not to be sick in your mouth ..... saying that i will be playing it in the winter this year :o .....keeps you busy when the RL season finishes :lol:
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
BriH

Post by BriH »

formulamoto wrote:in the early sixties, i went from a rugby league playing junior school to a rugby union playing grammar school. during the first games lesson, the ball was passed along the threequarters to the winger who dived in the corner for a try. this was disallowed as the games master said " in rugby union we place the ball not dive!!! " he even wore shorts with pockets !!
Very similar to my experience at Whitehaven Grammar! I hated playing it because my Dad and all his family were RL daft! As was I, like. Obviously a grammar school education didn't help grammatically-wise!
The only good thing I remember was us all piling on top of a little s..t of a teacher in the mud!!